Resting heart rate

Elc1112

I've been on a bit of a fitness blitz recently and have been working hard to lose some pounds, tone up, and generally improve my levels of fitness. I've always been fairly active, but just wanted to push myself that bit further.

Anyway, I was just wondering what people's resting heart rate was? I've got mine down to 42, which I am fairly pleased with. DSN told me it was too low - disagree with that, but never mind! Has anybody else ever been told theirs is too low? Surely it's ok as long as I am fit and healthy etc. Normal weight, non-smoker and so on.

Em

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
42 is very good index, your DSN clearly does not understand the difference between bradychardia in athletes vs the normal population. Mine normally sits around 45-48, but I've seen it as low as 38 on a few occasions

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Encouraging to hear the above comments! My husband's resting heart rate has dropped over the past year from low to mid 60's to an average, so far this month, of 56. I'd been told that "normal" was 60 to 100, so had wondered what was going on. Decrease in heart rate has paralleled his increasing fitness, which has recently been described by his trainer as very good for his age, which is 65. I know we are both fit these days, on a recently holiday, we were racing past young people in their 30's and 40's on steep hill walks!! Such an amazing contrast to two years ago, when he found staying awake a struggle, but then along came a diabetes diagnosis and low carb and everything changed.
Sally

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The lowest I've seen mine at is 48. I spend a lot of time weight training, so lower is expected. But I'm still under 40!

Reactions: 2 people

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
When I was younger and in the army, I could get mine down to around the mid 30's. Now it's around 150 without drugs and de-fib at rest.

S

Shar67

A low heart rate in diabetics can be start of neuropathic problems, so DN has right to show concern, hence the reason you are told to check with your GP before starting diets or fitness programmes. Yes is great to have a pulse rate of a top level athlete but make sure it isn't masking something else. Also it is dangerous to suddenly stop intensive exercise as that can but a strain on your heart as well

Reactions: 4 people

Elc1112

Shar67 - I didn't know that about the neuropathic problems, so thanks. Thankfully, I've been given the all clear from any diabetic complications so that shouldn't be a concern. I knew that stopping suddenly could cause problems but I'm not planning to do that - not planning to go crazy but I would like to maintain the level of fitness. Besides, I don't think my personal trainer would let me quit - evil he is lol

Thanks for all the replies. I'm seeing the doctor later this week as a follow up to my DSN appointment. At least I now feel more informed if the topic of heart rate comes up :)

Em

Reactions: 4 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
A low heart rate in diabetics can be start of neuropathic problems, so DN has right to show concern, hence the reason you are told to check with your GP before starting diets or fitness programmes. Yes is great to have a pulse rate of a top level athlete but make sure it isn't masking something else. Also it is dangerous to suddenly stop intensive exercise as that can but a strain on your heart as well

This is true, but the real issue from a nerve damage is if your heart rate can not adjust to your activity level and fall back quickly.

So if you can go from a low of say 56 beats and then do some exercises and it goes up to 120 beats and then falls back quickly to mid 60s or 70s or 80s, there is most likely none or minimal peripheral nerve damage.

Worry if your heart rate won't adjust, not if it is low because you've lost weight and got into shape by doing more cardio.

Dr. Bernstein believes in slowly pushing your heart rate up to ones theoretical maximum - under a MDs supervision - even if it means increasing your max rate by one beat a month.

Walking at a moderate clip for miles over a period of time will dramatically decrease your resting heart rate and decrease the amount of time it takes to recover

Reactions: 6 people

Elc1112

Hi Runner2009. Really helpful, thanks. My HR does rise when I exercise, as you'd expect. It does recover quickly, though. I have been working with a personal trainer for the past few months. As I am diabetic, he had asked me to get the green light from my GP before starting, which I did. For me, it's not so much about weight loss, more about improving fitness :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine's 50 to 60 resting, I always exercise to at least double it, then try to get to about 140 for short bursts, and let it drop down again.
I doubt I'll ever get fit enough to drop below 50.

Reactions: 2 people

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, sound good to me. Mine is 53 at rest, at it's lowest I've seen it go down to 49.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw 43 yesterday, been taking it easy for a week or two after the big race. Seem to be back where I should be.