16 weeks pregnant hypos?

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had a diabetic pregnancy?
I've been having to up my insulin every 2 weeks and the past 2 weeks I haven't had to but I've had a few hypos and have lost my hypo awareness, I'm seeing my midwife tomorrow to have a chat and listen in on baby but I'm going out of my mind with worry has anyone else experienced this?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is normal for your insulin resistance to increase while pregnant, so you do have to keep adjusting basal and bolus rates on a fairly regular basis throughout. Then after the birth you have to readjust your doses back down very quickly. Your body is changing at a speed that is never really seen outside pregnancy so there is nothing to be scared about. You can help yourself by counting carbs, testing and keeping records religiously. That way you can see changes very quickly and adapt flexibly. Don't worry. You can get it under control.

Reactions: 2 people

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand about have to up my disease and like I said I've been having to up it every 2 weeks and I've seen a pattern form but the last 2 weeks this pattern has stopped and I haven't had to change my insulin and I've started to have hypos which is concerning me

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
tagging @azure as she has experience and may be able to help.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Stephanie,

I'm going to move your thread to the Pregnancy section for you where you should get more replies.

It's still possible to get hypos at 16 weeks. They do decrease but when that is can vary for each woman. Also, the tight control needed can mean hypos too as you have such a narrow target to aim for. I still had a few hypos in the second trimester when I hadn't got my dose quite right.

Do you carb count? Are you on MDI or do you use a pump? Are you getting random hypos or are they always at the same time?

Don't panic. If you're worrying a lot (and I know how worrying a diabetic oregnancy is) then give your DSN a call. They can reassure you. I honestly don't think hypos at your stage are anything sinister. Just keep testing a lot and keep hypo treatments near at all times.

Best wishes,

Azure

Reactions: 6 people

Yuste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is completely normal to loose hypo awareness. Checking your sugar levels often will help to avoid hypos. I had hypos from around week 8 to week 18. It is normal. At one point I had to reduce insulin and after a week start to increase again. Hard job but it's all worth it. :)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Due to constantly changing needs for insulin, having to increase it fairly regularly....it's hard to get it exactly right and as you have such a narrow target to aim for it is very difficult to get it right/spot on (not that we can ever get it spot-on but as close to it). I had good control throughout my pregnancy but still had random highs and lows here and there. Testing your levels as much as possible will certainly help.. I tested and kept records of all my readings religiously but I still suffered hypos and some high readings. Xx

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Due to constantly changing needs for insulin, having to increase it fairly regularly....it's hard to get it exactly right and as you have such a narrow target to aim for it is very difficult to get it right/spot on (not that we can ever get it spot-on but as close to it). I had good control throughout my pregnancy but still had random highs and lows here and there. Testing your levels as much as possible will certainly help.. I tested and kept records of all my readings religiously but I still suffered hypos and some high readings. Xx

Hi, I had a very difficult pregnancy the first time round due to the diabetes- one minute high and the next minute low.

The doctor told me- so maybe check this is still what they believe as my son is now 21- that the baby's blood sugar is always higher than yours- 4 times higher they said. o even when 1 the baby will be 4 if that makes sense and so no harm wil come to baby.

also when the baby has a growth spurt your blood sugar will drop so at 16 weeks this is very common.
I bought myself something like this when I was pregnant as I was worried- it wasn't the same as this but have a look around and see what s out there
http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/diab...r-alarm.html?gclid=CJzfh72XrsgCFSeK2wod8vYI_g

I still use it now and bought one for my sister also when she was pregnant.
I was like this right the way through so don't panic. My second pregnancy I had lots of sickness but no problems with diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people

LottyT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the same thing - leveled off later on. There's so much to think about but the relay checks and scans should reassure you. Good luck!

Alexm5079

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i am pregnant on my 2nd and im a type 1 diabetix for 11 years. Im now 6 weeks and had the same issues last time. I recently made a blog on this for others help.
Because the targets are so strict i.e below 8 1 hour post meal im finding that im achieving this and then hypoing 2 hours post meal. Ive lost my hypo awareness to the point where its only because i am dizzy at 2! I then realise. And my insulin quadrupled on my last trimester! Im having 3 hypos per day if im lucky then ill just have 1. Its hard. But i did get my hba1c from 7% to 5.3% for the last one.
I just snack 2 hours post meal ( i dont emjoy it, but it means less hypos) x

Reactions: 6 people

KarenG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really feel for you and experienced the same thing in both my pregnancies. Managed eventually really tight control with sub 5 HBA1C (coming off the back of no / terrible control before I found out I was expecting) but totally lost hypo awarenes which was ... Difficult. It did get better once I was firmly in the second trimester, so just keep testing and hang in there! Good Luck, it will be all worth it :)