are 'dates' good type 2 ?

John7956

You should be able to them. unless you are "low carbing", by having a little more insulin. I don't think any diabetic should stop eating anything because it is regarded as "bad" - everything in moderation

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In moderation as part of a meal, maybe a few as dessert shouldn't be a problem. It's not the total carb content that's the issue, that's a matter of portion size. Check out the GI of dates though and it's fairly high so spikes blood sugar quickly.

Eating them as part of a larger meal with fibre and fat reduces the spiking effect.

EDIT, should have also said, and protein

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The op is T2 diet only and does not have the means to cover his food with insulin. Most dates are covered with sugar and are high in natural sugars. The only way to find out if you can eat them is to test but I suspect, like most of us not able to shoot up, you'll find they are not a good part of your diet.

wiflib

John7956

Squire Fulwood said:
John7956 said:
unless you are "low carbing", by having a little more insulin.

What if you are not on insulin?

That's true. I am so answered as if giving insulin. I (not that i have any expertise here) would wonder if you could maybe exchange something for them if you really want them

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, dates are delicious but they really send my blood sugar levels high. I haven't eaten any since last Christmas. :(

The op is T2 diet only and does not have the means to cover his food with insulin.
Which is a good reason for the OP to fill out the "info" section in their profile. So that people can know this stuff when trying to answer any questions.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Type 2 diet controlled however, although my BS has been in the pre and non-diabetic levels (currently hba1c 36) for about 2 years, I love dates but haven't had the courage to have one for about 2 years because of the carbs and sugars in them.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a difference between dried dates which we are used to seeing and fresh dates. Fresh dates are yellow and look more like big grapes and will have a lower carb count -I've seen 6g carbs per date as opposed to 18g per dried date.