insulin not working

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
has anyone found that insulin novorapid sometime doesn't work or affect your sugar level this happened to me a few days ago i don't understand why then later on when giving my next injection it was working

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The novorapid will work but there's a lot of external factors that may impact upon it...

Ie
The type food you have ate;
Is your food ratio bolus correct;
Whether you carb counted correctly if it was a food bolus;
If a correction bolus-is your ratio correct?
Is your basal rate correct?
Have you basal tested?
Have you unusual stress?
Have you stored insulin correctly?
Was there any leakage of insulin after your injection?

The list is endless......

Reactions: 2 people

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my novorapid was stored in my bedroom which was quite warm i dont know if this could affect the insulin?

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's 30 degrees and up is when the insulin starts to go off, but take note what the forecast says it may be a degree or two hotter or colder than what it is in your house. If you have another in the fridge it's best to just use that one. I had a similar problem a month or so ago and it was fixed by switching to a new pen.

makfai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
has anyone found that insulin novorapid sometime doesn't work or affect your sugar level this happened to me a few days ago i don't understand why then later on when giving my next injection it was working
I have had the same problem and find it very frustrating.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There are often times where insulin doesn't work, and every time that happens, I switch to a new cartridge.

On the occasions where a new cartridge doesn't work, I switch to a new box.

I've found that this usually resolves the issue if it is the insulin itself, but as @donnellysdogs says, there can be a whole host of things that can cause random insulin resistance.

Reactions: 4 people

makfai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There are often times where insulin doesn't work, and every time that happens, I switch to a new cartridge.

On the occasions where a new cartridge doesn't work, I switch to a new box.

I've found that this usually resolves the issue if it is the insulin itself, but as @donnellysdogs says, there can be a whole host of things that can cause random insulin resistance.

I have looked at all the options and can't identify where I might be going wrong! For example, at 22:10hrs last night I had a reading of 17.5mmol/l so I took 24 bolus with my 86 basal and at 08:40hrs this morning still had a reading of 11.8mmol/l. Of course there would have been a release of insulin last night but it is not usually too much.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But @makfai you are taking what I would consider to be huge amounts of insulin, which is usually an indicator that you have high insulin resistance. Under those circumstances, anything we say goes out of the window because correction factors and bolusing become very much less predictable.

Reactions: 4 people

makfai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
But @makfai you are taking what I would consider to be huge amounts of insulin, which is usually an indicator that you have high insulin resistance. Under those circumstances, anything we say goes out of the window because correction factors and bolusing become very much less predictable.

I am not sure about the relevance of the amont of insulin I use to the fact that the results I sometimes get are erratic.

The formula I have been using for food bolus is: total carbs divided by 10 multipled by 2.

As regards correction there seems to be mixed advice about the ratio but you will note that I took a high dose of 24 bolus for what turned out to be a limited return!