Supplements / vitamin suggestions

dnl.phillips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really interested to hear what you may be taking as vitamins or supplements as a t1. Esp. Thoughts on things like cinnamon , Ginko , ALA, etc.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Vitamin D3, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine, plus Zinc, Magnesium and Omega 3 caps.

Basically try and manage oxidation within the cell structure to reduce the risk of complications.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just Cod Liver Oil, hopefully diet will provide everything else.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

A few years ago I purchased Thiamine vit B1 after reading a medical news report which lead to many diabetics feeling that they be deficient in this vitamin but after developing background retinopathy in one eye, I decided that the vit was a waste of money as it did nothing to prevent eye problems. I later realised that it's protection was more to do with kidney protection than eye and as my kidney function was ok, I stopped.
Nowadays, I just use a Be roc a tablet dissolved in water every day and also 1 Mac u shield to hopefully guard against age related eye disease. I also pay privately for an independent optician to scan my eyes using something similar to an MRI and so far everything is ok a (touch wood).

I don't use D3 unless a bloodtest reveals thst I am deficient in it. I overdosed on D3 a while ago and my levels went up way too much

dnl.phillips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the first in hearing of d3. Can anyone shed light on why they use this?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

iHs

A long time ago, a certain poster created threads all about D3 and the medical problems that related to deficiency.

The threads became worrying reading to say the least

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have tested deficient in vitamin D and take a prescribed supplement, one pill a month. Deficiency is linked to depression and a number of other issues so it's well worth getting tested.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
supplement shakes, the ones with really high sugar content, though i always follow the high carb, protein and fat diet, mostly carbs though, i have vitamin d3 and omega3 tablets but rarely take them

dnl.phillips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
supplement shakes, the ones with really high sugar content, though i always follow the high carb, protein and fat diet, mostly carbs though, i have vitamin d3 and omega3 tablets but rarely take them
High sugar and carbs? Are you t1?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take quite a few - D3, Vit B Complex, Magnesium OK, Garlic, Omega 3 and Co Q10.

I also take a daily probiotic (when I remember!) and on occasion I've taken Zinc, Selenium and Iron.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Purely speculation, but in some his past posts, he mentioned having almost no body fat. My guess is that he's taking weight gainer shakes which have ridiculous amounts of carbs in them (some have 200g carbs in a single serving).

I'm a type 1 trying to gain the weight I lost before my diagnosis. The supplements I take are:
ON Gold Standard Whey Protein (less than 3g of carbs)
Creatine Monohydrate
BCAA powder
Glutamine
Fish Oil
Basic Multi-Vitamin

Remember that supplements are exactly as their name suggests: they supplement an imperfect diet.

Of course, there are people that have deficiencies and need to take certain things. However, most people buy them in an attempt to cut corners (weight loss pills especially).

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take none, but have very achy joints think caused by atorvastatin. Tried Glucosamine in past but noticed no difference. Blood tests show no deficiency in vitamins. Any advice would be helpful.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While I no longer take glucosamine, when I did, I noticed that it took a while to build up in my system.

Did you give it a try for at least a few weeks?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I take none, but have very achy joints think caused by atorvastatin. Tried Glucosamine in past but noticed no difference. Blood tests show no deficiency in vitamins. Any advice would be helpful.
You might want to discuss with your doctor whether you should stop the statin. What are your lipid levels like?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
While I no longer take glucosamine, when I did, I noticed that it took a while to build up in my system.

Did you give it a try for at least a few weeks?
Do you know of any scientific evidence for the effectiveness of glucosamine?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know of any scientific evidence for the effectiveness of glucosamine?
Nothing conclusive and there's evidence to support both sides. To be honest, I wouldn't doubt it works largely due to the placebo effect.

Like I said, I no longer take it, but my father (a long distance runner) swears by the stuff.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take 2, vitamin D as I'm deficient in that and have to take a tablet each evening but that's due to epilepsy medication and then I take a general vitamin that has a little of everything in it. I'm quite a picky eater so I want to make sure I'm getting everything I need!