Fighting fatigue

John_H

Hi All – I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a month ago and have made good progress with managing all aspects of the condition, except fatigue with exercise. Pre-diabetes, my mates and I would regularly walk around six miles, have lunch, walk another six and retire to the Pub. Since escaping from hospital, I can walk no more than 2.5 miles (which I do every day) and I feel knackered at the end. I suspect that dietary preparation pre-walk (which I don’t do) may have something to do with it. Regaining my pre-diabetes “vitality” is really important to me and I would be very grateful for any feedback, top-tips etc.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's early days yet @John_H, see how you feel in the next month or two and if things don't improve speak with your diabetes team, being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (and the events leading up to it) can take it out of you and it does take some time to recover fully.

Reactions: 2 people

John_H

Thanks, I'll certainly do that. Meanwhile, progress towards normality continues, with a phased return back to work next Monday - which should be interesting.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Walking burns a lot of blood sugar so you need to test your blood sugar before you start, then twenty or thirty minutes in, then again every thirty minutes, basically, until you get your "pattern" worked out. You may be starting with too high a blood sugar, which leaves you feeling awful and tired. Or you may be running out of blood sugar. The second, though, would tend to leave you feeling weak and shaky. It easy to handle, however, in that you just need to carry a couple of energy bars with you to eat if you go low.

However, another reason you may be feeling lousy is that you probably had DKA at the time you were diagnosed and that can take a few weeks to get over.

As you learn more about your diabetes you will be able to get your energy back. Have a look on the Sports and Fitness boards here. We have marathon runners, weight lifters, triathletes, etc. This is not the end of your vitality. In fact, it should get better once you are treated.

John_H

Thanks Ruth - that's really useful. It's probably a combination of running out of BS and recovering from the DKA. It's a bit mysterious though, yesterday my BS readings were all between 4 and 7 mmol/l, the walk having no effect. Today, I had a 2.8 mmol/l at the end of the same walk. I will persevere.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Greetings!~
I can tell you that it will take your body a while to adjust. For me, I remember it being two or three months. (Sorry). One thing I would recommend is to ingest 15 grams of carb every 20 or 30 minutes to help prevent drastic lows. Depending upon what time you exercise, when you eat, and how long you exercise, you may consider decreasing your insulin intake during this time also. It is rocket science and you will be the only one to "play" pilot. Everyone is so different. Just be patient and be kind to yourself. Give it time. The only other recommendations I could make would be to check before, during, and after exercise. Do you feel your lows? One symptom of a low for me is feeling like a wet noodle.....exhausted. Though I am not sure if that is what is going on with you. Just don't give up-believe it or not, it does get easier. Best wishes!!

Reactions: 4 people

John_H

Professional Pancreas - That brightened my morning.

Thanks PP and Ruth, that’s very generous of you both. There’s lots of really useful stuff in your messages and links. The info in the Diet and Nutrition tab of Runsweet.com is particularly useful. The main messages are around increased BG monitoring, appropriate carb consumption before and during exercise and insulin dose pre-exercise. Rather more complicated than I thought and it will take time to learn what works for me. Based on my current rate of progress, I reckon that a couple of months or more sounds about right - onward and upwards!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
John, I'm in the same stage as you having been diagnosed in early September.

As many mentioned, there's a number of physical and psychological reasons why you could be feeling this way. It's a lot to process mentally and you're talking about many physical changes as well.

My approach has been similar to yours: try to continue the same lifestyle as before and avoid any negative adjustments to my quality of life. I've also increased my time in the gym which has SIGNIFICANTLY helped my road to the new "Normal."

I was lucky not to have DKA, but my energy levels seem to be linked to my activity levels. If I stay at home I feel tired/lazy. If I get out and do something I rarely get tired.

Wish I could be of more help. Best of luck in your recovery.

Reactions: 4 people

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All exercise is different from another, you'll need to work it out. Do you know your current BG levels pre-walk/mid walk/post walk? I'd measure about every half an hour until you understand how your body treats different exercises..

I haven't had problems with vitally as such though unless my BG levels go to pot (went dirt jumping at the weekend, BG levels ended up about 14/15 - turns out it barely counts as exercise!

Personally I do a lot of cycling (and recently running). With no extra insulin for the carbs for doing mountain biking I need about 30g of carbs an hour to keep it level, but while riding downhill that can rise to about 40g/hour. While running though my levels are pretty steady if I have about 20/25g carbs an hour (longest run is currently 3 hours - 20 miles).

John_H

Alleluia! I’ve just completed my daily 2.5 mile walk and, for the first time since T1 diagnosis, I do not feel completely knackered. BGs before, during and afterwards were 5.6, 5.8 and 5.4 respectively. The only difference was that I had four Jelly Babies half way round. This is hugely significant progress for me – thanks again to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great! And double great that you've found out so quickly that you are NOT going to have to give up your favourite and regular activities because of diabetes.

John_H

Just done 6.3 miles, fuelled by 15g CHO/h, with reasonable BG control (4.0 to 7.2), no fatigue and in danger of exploding with the excitement and joy of it all. Can anyone suggest something more palatable and less teeth rotting than Jelly Babies?

Reactions: 3 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ha ha! I always use dates, for extra carbs and for hypos, because they've got iron and lots of vitamins. Their glycemic index is higher than glucose, though, so you can't go mad with them. And you really need to pit and weigh them to have some idea of what you are consuming. I just carry them in a zippy sandwich bag. Depending on circumstances (what exactly I'm doing, how fast my bs is falling, etc), my other fave is apples.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Provided I'm not hypo I just use banana's or oatcakes to fuel long walks.

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd suggest as you're only walking you could have just about anything - I wouldn't worry about the GI too much!

Pick your favourite snack, the worst that'll happen is it won't work and you'll need to try something else!