13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I thought I'd start this thread for all us people who have consistently low/normal BG levels apart from first thing in the morning ( FBG). I'll start :- my levels yesterday and most days before and 2hrs after meals range from 4.5 to 5.9 but usually in the low fives. However, recently, apart from the odd low reading my FBG is in the 6s -this morning it was 7.1 I've read about dawn phenomenon and about how illness, stress etc can affect bloods, but surely DP would be consistent and illness etc would affect all readings? Anyway, love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

G

graj0

The numbers you quote are pretty much in the right range although I can see that you'd like to find out why the change. I believe that Dawn Phenomenon will behave differently depending on how late you eat the previous evening. My dad has a digestive biscuit before bedtime which seems to regulate his morning readings, so I don't think DP is consistent.
As for illness, I don't think that is consistent either, I've just had appendicitis and peritonitis, started July 13th, surgery September 1st, we're now in October and my BG has been all over the place. Diet is the same, exercise is less, but some days I sit there thinking where the heck did that reading come from, have I started to absorb carbs just by looking? LOL

Even your high number of 7.1 wasn't awful, maybe the best thing to do is what you're doing now, keeping an eye on things. BTW I mentioned this on another thread because I've only just discovered this little gem. Your surgery should have a Constant Glucose Monitor for you to borrow for a few days. If you were very anxious, perhaps ask to borrow it and see when the peaks and troughs occur and what they were.
Diabetes UK reckon on the following and Diabetes.co.uk is the same:-

Blood glucose targets

It is important that the blood glucose levels being aimed for are as near normal as possible (that is in the range of those of a person who does not have diabetes). These are:

• 3.5–5.5mmol/l* before meals
  • less than 8mmol/l, two hours after meals.
There are many different opinions about the ideal range to aim for. As this is so individual to each person, the target levels must be agreed between the person and their diabetes team.

The target blood glucose ranges below are indicated as a guide.

Children with Type 1 diabetes (NICE 2015)
  • on waking and before meals: 4–7mmol/l
  • after meals: 5–9mmol/l.
Adults with Type 1 diabetes (NICE 2015)
  • on waking: 5–7mmol/l
  • before meals at other times of the day: 4–7mmol/l
  • 90 minutes after meals: 5–9mmol/l.
Type 2 diabetes (NICE 2008)
  • before meals: 4–7mmol/l
  • two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l.

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the info @graj0 which explains a lot. While I'm not really anxious about my fbg readings [more pi***d off] to be honest, I think because this diabetes is all about "control" I'm annoyed because I can't seem to control the FBG I did eat rather a lot latish last night so your info about that reassured me-thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
My fasting levels are never above around 5.5!
Normal for me is 3.8 - 6.0 mmols.
Control is crucial for me. I don't ever go above 6 if at all possible.
I am in permanent ketosis. I am on a fasting day today.

The battle when learning to eat low enough to lower your Hba1c overall is to find out what spikes and what doesn't, in the amounts that you can cope with.
You do have to change your way of thinking about food itself, what you have always considered your staple diet, is the food that is doing you harm.
Your condition is your own unique story of your life and how you treat it, is unique to you.
What foods work for me, might not work for you!

Control is the key to unlock your health.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have, over the last few years, done absolutely everything I can think of to try lowering my FBG.

My day and night BG is almost always in the 5-7mmol/l range. Only Fasting (Dawn Phenomenon), and a very occasional treat will take me higher.
Usually, my waking BG is 6.5-7.5 and it will then rise, steadily and slowly, until I have breakfast.
Stress will take it higher (sky's the limit) Often 8-9 on the morning of a busy day, or after bad sleep. I have been over 11, on occasion.

People say that FBG responds to good dietary control (tick) and that it will be the last thing to lower, when that control is achieved (not in my case). I have been ketogenic, VLC and well controlled for over 2 years now, and over that time my FBG has dropped by as little as 0.5mmol/l on average.

Basically, there are not always simple explanations (such as 'diet is the key').
Some people have no issues with DP.
Others (like me) just have to accept it, and raised FBG, are a fact of life.
So please don't let anyone tell you that their way is the best way... it just depends on you, your life, and your DP.

Reactions: 9 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I agree entirely.

I was quite surprised when my second HbA1c came back, as my FBG was averaging around 6 to 6.5 during the month or so before.

It still rarely get's much below 6, and sometimes measures over 6.5

I also know that if I test now, (2:30 pm) as I haven't eaten since breakfast it will almost certainly be somewhere between 4.5 and 5.

I have decided that the FBG number is not important for me, so unless it starts to go a lot higher I will not worry about it. My overall control. and the readings I get pre and post meal are the one's I focus on.

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria and @britishpub thanks so much for your encouraging postings. Since I found this forum six weeks ago I have been eating lchf and seen my BG levels come down to normal range apart from fbg so I have indeed "changed the way I think about food" and I do test before+ after meals to make sure I'm not eating something I shouldnt. Looks like I'm joining the ranks of the high scoring fasting bg-ers

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria and @britishpub thanks so much for your encouraging postings. Since I found this forum six weeks ago I have been eating lchf and seen my BG levels come down to normal range apart from fbg so I have indeed "changed the way I think about food" and I do test before+ after meals to make sure I'm not eating something I shouldnt. Looks like I'm joining the ranks of the high scoring fasting bg-ers

Never say never. Seriously.
You may be one of the ones who find that after several months, and with no further changes, your fbg just magically drifts down...
ya never know!

But don't stress about it, if it doesn't happen - stress can raise bg! ;)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Can I join the club please? I have my bg well controlled, but I can't control the FBG no matter what I try and do. Mine is about the same as @Brunneria and I've given up and decided to ignore it. Providing I can keep good levels during the day and night, I'm happy, whatever happy is when you're a D :) :(

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @June_C Welcome to our not so exclusive club☺ there seem to be more of us than I thought! I was feeling so frustrated and worried that I was doing something wrong it was good to hear that you are at ease with the higher figures too.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just before my last Hb test in July my FBG was actually down to the 4's and 5's but then I went off the rails a bit and they are back to the 6's and 7's now.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . Like you my levels are OK during the day but are higher in the mornings . Iv read the a small snack before you go to bed can help to stop the liver putting out glucose at night . So I'm going to give it a go . My levels during the day are about 5.5 and in the morning are about 7 so not to high but could be better

Clive

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know it's just really frustrating @Cl1ve isn't it?