The Healthier Choice: Almond Milk vs. Milk

Yerusha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almond milk and cow's milk are both packed with nutrients, but pros and cons may exist for each. Many different types of cow and almond milk are available commercially, so it's often difficult to determine which is the healthiest. The best choice for you depends on a variety of factors.

almonds_000032468954_Small.jpg

Calorie Content

Almond milk generally contains fewer calories than cow's milk, but it depends on the type of milk you buy. Unsweetened almond milk provides just 30 calories per cup, vs. 90 calories in a cup of skim cow's milk. One-percent low-fat milk contains 110 calories, two-percent milk provides 130 calories, and whole cow's milk contains 150 calories per cup. Sweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk generally contains 90 calories in each cup.

What about Protein?

Cow's milk is much higher in protein than almond milk. Protein is beneficial because it boosts satiety, helps your body burn extra calories, aids in healthy weight management, and allows you to maintain lean muscle mass -- even during periods of weight loss. Skim, low-fat, and whole cow's milk each provide 8 grams of protein per cup, but a cup of almond milk contains just 1 gram of protein. Even protein-fortified almond milk generally provides just 5 grams of protein. Some brands of high-protein cow's milk contain up to 13 grams of protein per cup.

Carb Comparison

Cow's milk is naturally higher in carbohydrates than almond milk, unless the almond milk is sweetened with added sugar. Cow's milk contains about 12 grams of carbohydrates -- mainly from a natural sugar called lactose -- in each cup. Unsweetened almond milk provides less than 1 gram of carbohydrates and no sugar, but sweetened almond milk may contain up to 16 grams of added sugar per cup.

Types of Fat

Almond milk is rich in heart-healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats, while the fat in cow's milk is primarily saturated fat. But, skim milk is fat-free and low-fat milk contains very little saturated fat. While some studies show that getting too much saturated fat in your diet may boost your risk for heart disease other research indicates otherwise, according to a study published in 2013 in the Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care. Researchers who conducted this study report that a high dairy fat intake is actually associated with a lower obesity risk.

Which Milk is Healthier?

Cow's milk and almond milk are both packed with essential nutrients and are generally healthy for you. Both are rich in calcium, vitamin A, Vitamin D and B vitamins. Cow's milk is a good source of phosphorous, but almond milk is rich in vitamin E. Cow's milk is high in protein, which is the main advantage of cow's milk over almond milk. But almond milk is naturally lactose-free, so likely won't cause problems if you're lactose intolerant. If you're seeking a plant-based milk that's rich in high-quality protein like cow's milk, soy milk is a good option. If you enjoy cow's milk but want to steer clear from hormones and antibiotics, try organic brands of cow's milk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just have to have cows milk in tea and coffee so I go for lactose free milk. I quite like soya milk as a drink on it's own but I don't like almond milk at all

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Which is healthier aside, you have to enjoy the taste and I've tasted Almond Milk and hated it, so it's cow milk every-time.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried organic almond milk and loathed it. No way would I touch soya anything now as I ate so much of it when first married and skint.

Recently, eating more cream made milk seem thin, so I quit drinking it. I eat eggs, meat, fish, seafood, poultry, game and plenty of green leafy and above ground veg plus herbs as well cheese, double cream, cream fraiche, soured cream, fromage frais and clotted cream so I'm not worrying about deficiencies.

Weird thing is, I can now breathe through my nose easily. When I've had milk recently in sauces and soups I've had indigestion and minor rear end probs. I feel better without it, which really surprised me. As a kid and teenager, even as an adult I guzzled milk.

Violet22

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only
I also drink unsweetened almond milk. Since regular milk is 13 carbs and the almond milk is 1 or less, I decided that I didn't want to waste carbs on milk. It's also a lot less calories if that is of concern. I found the taste odd at first but now I much prefer it. It foams nicely for my cappuccino which was a deal breaker if it hadn't!

DORILLA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New today , looking through the forums has given me things I did know plus things I did not know. Although having Type 1 myself I am helping my son who has just been diagnosed with Type 2 , very interesting.
Being a Nurse from way back how ideas change some for the better some not!
I must go now things to do.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just discovered organic hazelnut milk in unsweetened organic cocoa - lovely !