Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Guys, while I appreciate that this is a new product and that you want to make sure that we get the best service possible, I really don't need texts reminding me that you are always there to help. I find it intrinsically annoying and a bit of an intrusion. If I need you, you've texted me previously so I have your number and I know I can get you on here, so please can you provide an opt out on the texting?

Reactions: Leeannea

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Gill666 Welcome to the Diabetes Forum.

Following our "need help" text yesterday, which then allowed our wonderful phone conversation. I trust HypoBand UK has provided a good explanation to your son, Ryan, as to why the HypoBand activated (triggered). It was not because Ryan had low blood sugar levels but experiencing high levels of stress / anxiety. Because one of the physical common symptoms of stress is a cold sweat. Therefore HypoBand did trigger because it is a Cold Sweat Alarm.

Cold sweat is also a common symptom for pain, fear, lack of oxygen, low blood pressure, shock, menopause, migraines, forms of medications, stroke and heart attacks. Other possible medical conditions can cause cold sweats. These include circulatory disorders, influenza, viral infections, and immune disorders.

As the HypoBand triggered for a cold sweat during the day, it will certainly help Ryan whilst he is asleep and give you reassurance that HypoBand is watching over him.

Gill666

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.. just an update on HypoBand.... so far it has not gone off when Ryan has been asleep, which in one way is a good thing but as Ryan only uses the HypoBand at night I decided to wear it during the day and am so glad I did. I dont have diabetes but I have Pernicious Anemia this condition makes me suffer with very low blood sugars. So far this week it has gone off 3 times warning me and for a good reason. It has help me manage so much better, I usually can not tell until too late when my blood sugars are low and I end up nearly passing out. On my last blood test before wearing HypoBand my bloods dropped to 2.1. So this week I put the HypoBand on and was amazed. It went off, me thinking nothing just stopped what I was doing and then felt shakey my bloods were 3.9 so I took a jelly baby to bring blood sugars back up but instead of resting I carried on and alarm went off again....lol I should know better as dont let Ryan carry on until his bloods are back to normal. So not only is it helping Ryan on a night it is helping me during the day.... Well impressed

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I haven't posted in the topic for a while, but I've noticed that I don't trigger the Hypoband in what might be considered "mild hypo" bg levels. Certainly, in the range 3.2-4.0, I'm not having cold sweats at the same time, in spite of feeling the hypo.

Having said that, I've also not had any proper overnight hypos in the time since I've been using the band, which is a good thing.

Have the team at Hypoband induced hypos to understand the range at which people start to see cold sweats?

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Gill666 Hi Gill, we are delighted that Ryan is wearing the HypoBand at night time and is not experiencing a cold sweat. This is very positive, as it means you can have a good night sleep knowing that the HypoBand is monitoring Ryan for a cold sweat.

We are thrilled that you are wearing the HypoBand during the daytime at home. It’s encouraging that the HypoBand has alerted you 3 times of a cold sweat and It's great that you automatically stop what you are doing, take a BG test and then take action.

Your response and action, is what the HypoBand Group has spent three years in developing.

Thank you very much for the posting.

I know it will help others that suffer from hypo with a cold sweat and be comforted the HypoBand is fit for purpose.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Gill666
Hi Gill,
Can I ask, as the HypoBand triggered and your BG was 3.9, were the after-effects of experiencing a hypo lesser as compared to when you had a hypo and not been alerted by the HypoBand?

Gill666

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Oh yes.... it was much better how it alerted me. Before my bloods were dropping as low as 2.1 and I didn't realise until I moved to get up and then I went drip white felt sick and wanted to pass out, lucky enough my husband Kev and Ryan both rushed up to get me a jelly baby or 4...lol. This happens quite often especially towards the end of 3 months when my B12 injection is due. But the effects are awful and it takes me such a long time to bring myself round, infact the rest of the day I can hardly move as my body just feels exhausted. When the band went off I was quite surprised as I didn't notice anything happening, it wasn't until I moved I felt a little shaky then tested my bloods and as said they were 3.9 so I just took 1 jelly baby to boost my sugars but after 10 mins it went off again and my bloods had not changed so took another 2 jelly babies. It helped so much as I could still do things for rest of day and because it made me aware before I hit dangerously low I didn't suffer the bad side effects. was very much impressed.
Gill

Louise I

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Belatedly checking back in to report on our experiences trialing the hypoband. Unfortunately for the band, but fortunately for Dan, he hasn't had a night-time hypo while wearing the band. This is really unusual for him but he's fourteen and hormones are raging and I think that's making his numbers higher than usual. I know that the band hasn't missed any hypos because we use a libre so can see the night-time trends. The only time in the last few weeks he has had a night-time hypo was when we were on holiday and couldn't use the band because there was no phone/internet reception in the place where we were staying - sods law. We've tried popping the band on during the day when he thinks he might be going hypo but we've never got the timing right for this. However will keep trying because I really want to be sure that the band will trigger for him. That said, I do feel more relaxed at night knowing he's wearing the band and will update as soon as we get a proper trigger. So putting aside the massive issue of no-hypos here are my pros and cons of other aspects of the band.
1) The new instructions for setting up the band have removed early problems we had with it alarming when worn straight from charging. It's working really nicely now and is v easy to set up.
2) The only remaining set-up issue is to do with using it on a teenager. Because the app needs to run on his phone, if there is any problem with internet disconnection, or if we simply forget to put it on before he goes to bed, there is always a big to-do of me having to get into his phone via his password. So I have to wake him up, persuade the password out of him etc. Repeat ad nauseum every time he changes his phone password - which is every day - which might suggest I have more to worry about than night-time hypos!!! In an ideal world I would have control over the app on my own phone but I accept that this is a technical impossibility!
3) The watch is standing up well to regular use, it feels nice and sturdy though the wrist band does feel a bit cheap and plasticy.

But all that said, if I could just get one night-time hypo to test the alert, then I would have no hesitation in recommending this product. So when that happens I will come straight back and edit this post to reflect that!

Gill666

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an update .. I am still wearing the band through the day and Ryan is wearing it on a night. Had no more alarms but think I have been realising a bit better when my bloods have dropped before they go under 4. and Ryan has not had any hypo's during night. His bloods have been quite high lately and he has just turned 13, growth spurt. The only issue I have found is that when I am using my phone the band starts alarming as disconnects. not sure weather its just my phone but happens when I receive or make calls and text's and when playing games on it. Have just upgraded my phone so will see how this one works and report back..

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Louise I, thank you very much for your update / review. It's good to read that Dan is not currently experiencing any night-time hypo and with the reassurance that the HypoBand is correctly monitoring. This is confirmed as the results given from the Libre. This is excellent news for all.

2). Have you tried setting up your phone with the HypoBand App and set to 'Local Alarm' and see if it will disconnect if Dan is asleep in one room and you in another. (disconnection is because the Bluetooth range is limited to within a 10 meter range). However, our trials have shown (not 100% confirmed), we stay connected with the phone in a ground floor room but the HypoBand is worn on the first floor, at the furthest end of the building.

3) The HypoBand Group truly understand that the feel and appearance of the device is very important. Regrettably as the HypoBand is worn for up to 8 hours at one time, we are restricted and controlled by the relevant Authorities, as the HypoBand is a Class I medical device.

The medical grade plastic had to complete a strict, robust 300 page guideline, to ensure there is no issue relating to the contact with the persons skin. Therefore, we are prohibited to apply any outer coating / layer to make the HypoBand more aesthetically pleasing in appearance.

Again, thank you very much for all your time and effort in helping Hypoband UK test and providing positive feedback.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Gill666, thank you very much for the latest posting. Its great to read that Ryan is wearing the HypoBand at night and is not currently experiencing any Hypos. This is reassuring for all.

With regard you wearing the HypoBand, we have received a number of reviews and feedback stating that since wearing the HypoBand, they are also noticing symptoms of a hypo earlier and therefore able to react and thus the after effects are less severe.

The HypoBand will provide reassurance that if at any time the symptoms are not recognized, the HypoBand will trigger.

Concerning the issue mentioned, we have conducted a preliminary examination and if you receive a call or text, the HypoBand App should not disconnect. However, to make a call, text or play a game, you will first have to disconnect the HypoBand App. Therefore, the HypoBand will alert for the disconnection, as it's a safety feature.

I trust this helps and please do not hesitate to contact HypoBand UK, if you require any further assistance.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dear All at Diabetes Forum,

HypoBand UK can confirm that the latest HypoBand App for iPhone users is now available from iTunes. Version 5 is for all iPhone users up to and including iOS 9.1 :)

HypoBand apologises for any inconvenience this might have caused.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dear All at Diabetes Forum,

HypoBand UK can confirm that the latest HypoBand App for Android users is now available from Google Play Store. Version 4 is for all Android users using OS 4.3 to OS 6 :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I went to the gym last night for an arms session and knew I was having a few issues with keeping my BG levels up, but when I went to bed I was at 4.7. My other half has been away this week, and I've been using the Hypoband to mitigate any overnight risk of Hypos.

Last night, the alarm went off at about 3.40. I woke up and scanned, with the Libre, which showed LO (this would have been <2.2). Checking blood, I got a 3.2 reading. It was correct and had picked up an overnight basal rate Hypo. Not massively low, but picked up early enough for me to act on it and go back to sleep.

So I can safely say that it works and does exactly as it says on the tin. Well done Hypoband. That's what we wanted off you.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s Thank you for the review. It’s reassuring that when the HypoBand triggered last night, you were able to collaborate with the Libre and then your own test, which confirmed you were having a hypo.

We are delighted that the HypoBand Cold Sweat Alarm “does exactly as it says on the tin’. Eloquently put.

If possible, and with your vast knowledge of diabetes as seen on this forum, could you share the Libre data and provide a short statement explaining your findings (If you have the logged data from the HypoBand we could overlay the information)? Your kind assistance would be very useful for others less knowledgeable, understand the sequence of events.

Again, thank you for the review and we at HypoBand UK welcome your praise and continual support.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Unfortunately the data isn't the greatest. The Libre had been reading between 2 and 3 mmol/l low for 48 hours so it doesn't really show you anything useful as I wasn't in the red that the trace shows.

Libre scan:

46f9e3c6554919c020c5813d92b61dd9.jpg

As mentioned, I scanned the Libre after the alarm went off, and as expected, it showed a LO reading (rather than something in the high twos/low threes). The blood test showed 3.2.

Hypoband log:

00c247aa9e44bcadcda001c4f5ee05d0.jpg

What seemed to happen all night was the band kept disconnecting from the phone. Fortunately the local alarm on the band woke me. The band seemed to be disconnected when the alarm went off as there was no sound from the phone.

Paul_Bolt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
During the daytime I get dizzy and very forgetful. I do a test and if low will reach for the jelly baby's. At night, I can only guess its a hypo, as I wake up the next morning feeling tired, PJ's damp and if I try to stand up too quickly, head starts to spin.