My best friend Dex

Casper60

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had my Dexcom for six weeks and I consider it to be my bezzy mate as it warns me of hypos day and night and gives me the confidence to go walking miles with my dog without the fear of dropping too low as I've lost the awareness to reconginse hypos. I've only had one sensor which didn't give accurate reading and I emailed the company who quickly replaced it. I wish I could get more than 2 1/2 weeks out of the sensor to make it more economicle and save me more money but would not be without it.

Reactions: 11 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there Casper60
welcome to the forum :)
hypo unawareness is a real bugbear -- grrrrrr !:mad:

it is great that these tools have been made available.

keep posting and share your experiences with us all.

I have been type 1 D for 43 years and just started on a pump a week ago-- hoping to get back my hypo awareness with tighter slightly higher control .

Casper60

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going to see the consultant at the hospital soon to try and have a pump fitted. Does anyone know how reliable the Animus Vibe is (not sure of the spelling) it has the Dexcom integrated in it and if you purchase it from the company you can purchase the sensors at a reduced price too? I don't know what criteria you have to meet to get the pump but nothing ventured nothing gained.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Going to see the consultant at the hospital soon to try and have a pump fitted. Does anyone know how reliable the Animus Vibe is (not sure of the spelling) it has the Dexcom integrated in it and if you purchase it from the company you can purchase the sensors at a reduced price too? I don't know what criteria you have to meet to get the pump but nothing ventured nothing gained.
The pump is as reliable as the user as are all pumps. You get out of it what you put in. :)

The way to make your sensors last longer is to make sure you anchor them down well. Invest in some skin tac and so film to go over the sensor tape so it stays waterproof :)

Reactions: 3 people

Casper60

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The pump is as reliable as the user as are all pumps. You get out of it what you put in. :)

The way to make your sensors last longer is to make sure you anchor them down well. Invest in some skin tac and so film to go over the sensor tape so it stays waterproof :)
I've done all that which you recommended in a previous post but still only get 2 1/2 weeks from the sensor. Maybe my body starts to reject it after that amount of time.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've done all that which you recommended in a previous post but still only get 2 1/2 weeks from the sensor. Maybe my body starts to reject it after that amount of time.
That is a pity but looking on the bright side 16/17 days is a lot better than 7 days :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice post. I am thinking of getting a Dexcom to complement my pump. Right now, my pump is my bestie. Hope there's no jealousy between them if I get a CGM! :)