Stressed and concerned, Breathing issues, and possible new diagnosis.

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite stressed and concerned today. I spend my first of 2 nights on a recording pulse oximeter last night; my wife has always complained that I snore so thought I should find out if there was a more serious issue.

Well the first night results that I could access show my Oxygen Saturation dropping to 82, which is not good

Had a lot of success recently health-wise; I've lost 19lbs, HbA1c down to 48 (6.5%), excellent BG control, my fibromyalgia is fairly well behaved atm, and my arthritis is not flaring so been able to do some longish walks to get fitter.

Now though it seems I am facing another health issue. Always had a few lung problems, Asthma (which I grew out of by 21), Pneumonia left me with my left lung as only 3/4 functional at age 14 due to scarring, prone to chest infections and pleurisy as a result. Have a family history of COPD, Bronchiectasis, Emphysema, Cystic Fibrosis.

Just Hope it's not serious; I have quite enough medically to deal with already, seeing the Consultant tomorrow to go over my Oximeter results.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
hopefully it is not serious, I was diagnosed with severe COPD in July and spent 8 days in hospital through it and a heart blockage, luckily the blockage in minor and was retested for the COPD 3 weeks back and now they are saying that it in mild........

I havent smoked for the past 7 weeks and feel better for it, but while I was in hospital after about 4 days my Oxygen Saturation was at 94/97 but was at 66 when I was taken into hospital, I would try not to worry until the Dr sees the readings and tells you what might be causing this

Best of luck

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Quite stressed and concerned today. I spend my first of 2 nights on a recording pulse oximeter last night; my wife has always complained that I snore so thought I should find out if there was a more serious issue.

Well the first night results that I could access show my Oxygen Saturation dropping to 82, which is not good

Had a lot of success recently health-wise; I've lost 19lbs, HbA1c down to 48 (6.5%), excellent BG control, my fibromyalgia is fairly well behaved atm, and my arthritis is not flaring so been able to do some longish walks to get fitter.

Now though it seems I am facing another health issue. Always had a few lung problems, Asthma (which I grew out of by 21), Pneumonia left me with my left lung as only 3/4 functional at age 14 due to scarring, prone to chest infections and pleurisy as a result. Have a family history of COPD, Bronchiectasis, Emphysema, Cystic Fibrosis.

Just Hope it's not serious; I have quite enough medically to deal with already, seeing the Consultant tomorrow to go over my Oximeter results.
Don't panic just yet because if it's obstructive sleep apnoea then that is easily treated compared to some of these other disorders.

IMO you should be having a full sleep study in a sleep clinic/lab as this is much more useful diagnostically than a pulse oximeter trace. This might be the first step in getting booked for a proper sleep study.

Reactions: 4 people

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another day - another diagnosis.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome; as suspected. Oximeter tests over last 2 nights show that I stop breathing between 6 and 10 times an hour.

Have another appointment now for this afternoon to collect CPAP equipment I have to use at night while I sleep.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Another day - another diagnosis.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome; as suspected. Oximeter tests over last 2 nights show that I stop breathing between 6 and 10 times an hour.

Have another appointment now for this afternoon to collect CPAP equipment I have to use at night while I sleep.
Good luck with your equipment. It may take a bit of getting used to, but most people find within about 2 weeks that they have more energy.

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MAsk fills a bit wierd but sure i'll get use to it, just glad it's nothing more serious or harder to treat.

This is my 10th concurrent major diagnosis.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
MAsk fills a bit wierd but sure i'll get use to it, just glad it's nothing more serious or harder to treat.

This is my 10th concurrent major diagnosis.
Yeah, I have about 10 too, so I know what it's like to have multiple diagnoses. All we can do is our best. Hugs.