The Obesity Code - Dr Jason Fung

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally, Dr Jason Fung MD, the Canadian nephrologist, has written a book about Intermittent Fasting.

The Obesity Code will be published in U.S.and UK on March 15th and is available to pre-order in paperback for £12.35 GBP in UK from amazon.co.uk and for $14.82 USD from amazon.com

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have to say that Jason Fung writing a book about Intermittent Fasting is purely rehashing what was freely available from Lean Gains in terms of any diet/lifestyle plans. He's rehashing for cash in that respect. He does however, apply the title "Doctor" to the publication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's nice! Fasting is one nice way of losing weight quickly.. Workout and diet is also quite helpful in weight loss...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say that Jason Fung writing a book about Intermittent Fasting is purely rehashing what was freely available from Lean Gains in terms of any diet/lifestyle plans. He's a bit of a plagiarist in that respect. He does however, apply the title "Doctor" to the publication.
In the blogposts I've read, he credits the work of Brad Pilon and others re intermittent fasting and makes no claims about having "invented" it, so the work plagiarism seems a bit OTT.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In the blogposts I've read, he credits the work of Brad Pilon and others re intermittent fasting and makes no claims about having "invented" it, so the work plagiarism seems a bit OTT.
Fair point. Edited to rehashing for cash!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck to him.

From what I have seen and read of his work, the wider the audience, the better.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think sometimes, some people lose sight of the fact that health care professionals also want to make money and some of these HCPs are also entrepreneurs who would like to be rewarded for some of their work they do whether in excess of their day-to-day contractual requirements of indeed if they do the work within their working days.

Those are the people, it seems to me, who are driving forward changes in thinking. Without changes to thinking, changes to actions will simply never happen. To me, that sort of effort and courage should be rewarded, and of course, for many their primary motivators will be split between the philanthropic and commercial. I see nothing wrong in that, but then, I am someone who aligns with those thoughts.

Personally, I can sell my soul to the devil on a project, but only if I'm paid well enough. Without being paid well enough, I just wouldn't take a load of ^&*%. Would you? <<<< Asking everyone, not anyone in particular.

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Members of the medical and allied professions writing books is nothing new. Most seem to originate in the U.S. (Fung is Canadian)

In the UK, doctors cannot go against NHS policy if they work in the NHS.

Dr David Cavan, for example, works for the International Diabetes Federation. Dr John Briffa is in private practice, Dr Charles V Clark, also.

Credit Suisse threw a depth charge into the ocean of medical dogma with their report on fat last month.

It's often the people outside the system who can look clearly at the problems.

I don't have a problem with doctors writing books, however wacky. I think the more info that gets out there about eating real food not junk, the better.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Credit Suisse threw a depth charge into the ocean of medical dogma with their report on fat last month.
Yes, the Pharma analysts are now poring over this document to understand the implications...!

Reactions: 2 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have to say that Jason Fung writing a book about Intermittent Fasting is purely rehashing what was freely available from Lean Gains in terms of any diet/lifestyle plans. He's rehashing for cash in that respect. He does however, apply the title "Doctor" to the publication.
I agree, almost everything you find on Jasons Fungs site can be found from Martin Berkhan, and Brad Pilon, Krista Verady and Michaels Moss work on fasting. But Jason Fung is the first one that uses fasting to really effectively treat diabetes. I have read everything on Martin Berkhans website, and he says he will not advice diabetics about fasting, because he is not a doctor.

So that Jason Fung rehashes everything to help people? I cannot be bothered really, I hope he gets filthy rich and helps as many diabetics as possible. Look at his last blogpost, this indian guy at 180cm and 104 kg has had diabetes for 10 years, He reaches out to Jason Fung on the internet, which then gets into contact with the guys indian local doctor. They make a treatment plan in line with Jason Fungs principles, he is cured for diabetes some months later. And this doctor have visited Jason Fung in Canada, to learn as much as possible about diabetes treatment. And if you look at the comments section of the article, you see others doctors from india,, using Fungs methods on theor own patients curing them from diabetes. So I think Jason Fung derserves all the money he can get, so I am gonna by his book, even though he probably just summarizes his blogposts.

For the record I think Jason Fung is to much focused on insulin. I think leptin resistance causing obesity is more important, and that fasting helps lowering the bodyfat setpoint breaking down the leptinresistance, and this causes the fatloss which make diabetes disseapear.

Reactions: 10 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting point about leptin - Dr Robert Lustig in his book ' Fat Chance' and on various YouTube vids talks about leptin, sometimes in detail.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Interesting point about leptin - Dr Robert Lustig in his book ' Fat Chance' and on various YouTube vids talks about leptin, sometimes in detail.
Yes he does, but the best understanding of leptin by far is Stephan Guyenet responsible for. Here is is blog. http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.no/

His blog has learnt me everything I can about obesity, and I contribute him with my 35 kg wieghtloss from 110 kt to 74 kg. His theories explain everything about obesity in my opinion, but his church is a large one, he explains why lowcarbs works, which I love, but also how you can lose a lot of weight on highcarb diets as well.

Here is a short summary of his theory of obesity https://www.dansplan.com/assets/Ideal_Weight_Program_Scientific_Rational.pdf

He is writing what is going to be the best book about obesity ever, The Hungry brain, which comes out in 2016. I know for sure that I am going to buy that one.

Here is a illumantating talk he held as well :

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am looking forward to his book coming out on Kindle. I have learnt so much from his blog and video lectures, I feel it's only fair to reimburse him at least a little. I'd much rather pay for things/information that have been offered freely so I already know they work for me. Also, it would be nice to read an edited, flowing version, as I have been jumping back and forth on the website!

Reactions: 9 people

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's always better ways to make money than writing a book that goes against the norm :)

By the way his program cost $200/yr though most of the information on is blog is sufficient to get you started for free...intermittent fasting...don't cost you any money.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/contact/

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think sometimes, some people lose sight of the fact that health care professionals also want to make money and some of these HCPs are also entrepreneurs who would like to be rewarded for some of their work they do whether in excess of their day-to-day contractual requirements of indeed if they do the work within their working days.

Those are the people, it seems to me, who are driving forward changes in thinking. Without changes to thinking, changes to actions will simply never happen. To me, that sort of effort and courage should be rewarded, and of course, for many their primary motivators will be split between the philanthropic and commercial. I see nothing wrong in that, but then, I am someone who aligns with those thoughts.

Personally, I can sell my soul to the devil on a project, but only if I'm paid well enough. Without being paid well enough, I just wouldn't take a load of ^&*%. Would you? <<<< Asking everyone, not anyone in particular.

Nah, I'll keep my soul.
I always sup with a long spoon.
But, I'm happy to tell people what they want to hear when it's going to be preaching to the converted, and I'll certainly take money for that.
No ^&*%. involved, all donations gratefully received.

Then again, I'm more altruistic, rather than philanthropic.
(For those that aren't converted already)

It'll be interesting if to see other answers to your question, while it's so open.

Last edited by a moderator:

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Members of the medical and allied professions writing books is nothing new. Most seem to originate in the U.S. (Fung is Canadian)

In the UK, doctors cannot go against NHS policy if they work in the NHS.

Dr David Cavan, for example, works for the International Diabetes Federation. Dr John Briffa is in private practice, Dr Charles V Clark, also.

It's often the people outside the system who can look clearly at the problems.

I don't have a problem with doctors writing books, however wacky. I think the more info that gets out there about eating real food not junk, the better.
Any link on this?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the Pharma analysts are now poring over this document to understand the implications...!
and trying to find a way to monetise it i bet.. do you think we will soon get "fat pills" so we don't have to go to al the trouble of eating it?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that, I thought I had read the full report, turns out I had only read the abridged version. Something else to print out and send to the doctors surgery. Very interesting reading.