Airline Travel - Doctors note?

domcar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all!

I'm traveling to Aruba via Amsterdam with KLM in a couple of weeks. It's been a while since I've traveled abroad and I submitted a request to my new doctors for a note in case questioned about my medication. I've just been told it won't be ready in time due to a backlog.

I've done a search and it appears that most people aren't asked for a note now, as long as the medication is clearly labeled in their original boxes and cases etc. In your experience, will having a copy of my recent prescription suffice as well?

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN gave me mine when I told her I was going on holiday to Greece. But in the end airport security weren't even that bothered, didn't even bother reading the letter or look what was actually inside my bag. I was carrying 2 of each insulin, basal and bolus in my bag. I have heard a repeat prescription will suffice. I can imagine different airports being more strict/less strict about everything too.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been to 5 places since diagnosed and haven't been questioned once

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had a problem. Always take a prescription in case and I do have a surgery letter, but never used.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello all!

I'm traveling to Aruba via Amsterdam with KLM in a couple of weeks. It's been a while since I've traveled abroad and I submitted a request to my new doctors for a note in case questioned about my medication. I've just been told it won't be ready in time due to a backlog.

I've done a search and it appears that most people aren't asked for a note now, as long as the medication is clearly labeled in their original boxes and cases etc. In your experience, will having a copy of my recent prescription suffice as well?

Your original letter will suffice, you don't need to get a new Dr's note every-time you travel abroad.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never carry any kind of documentation. I was asked for a letter donkey's years ago when I used to carry bags full of suspicious looking hypodermics. I didn't have one so I offered to let them call a doctor to test my blood sugar. They looked doubtful and let me go!

Reactions: 2 people

KarenG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost never am I asked for it, but I have been twice: once at Toulouse airport and once at Gatwick. As mentioned above I carry around a dog eared letter from the GP which is about eight years old.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was searched going through Heathrow in May. They laughed when they found my meds. Showed me the xray picture and I saw my frio bag - did sort resemble sticks of plastic explosive. They didn't want to see my letter but had to complete the search. They were quite aologetic and helped me repack. They suggested I take it out of my bag next time and put it in the tray. My letter is from the DRN too - standard letter just with my name written on it and signed - did it for me there and then. Have a good trip!

domcar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers guys. Thanks noblehead, but I don't even have a letter from last time as it was a good 10 years ago!

domcar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again guys.

I've got my prescription sheet sorted in case I'm asked, I was just wondering how you normally pack? Do you normally take it all in your hand luggage? (Same with the needles and lancet) or do you split them between the two? Also, I'm on novorapid flexpen and glargine. I've got a fresh prescription with 5 in a box, with labels on the boxes. Do you reccomend keeping them in the box, or taking them out and putting them into clear bags?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Split your diabetes supplies between yourself and your travelling companions hand luggage (if appropriate), the insulin should be fine kept in the original box but it would be a good idea to place them in a clear plastic bag, I'm unsure what the security rules are now as I've not travelled abroad for a good few years.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, all my kit goes in hand luggage - mine and my husband's if he's travelling with me. Apart from the insulin I'm using any insulin goes in my "Frio" bags _ they work a treat at keeping the insulin cool enough for up to 48 hours at a time. I may take needles out of the box and put them in clear plastic bags - simply cos they're easier to pack but I just collapse a box and take it with me. Remember to take twice as much as you think you need of everything. Have a great trip - and raise a glass or two for us poor buggers staying here in the cold!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never take the original boxes, never been asked for them.

If you are going through T5 at LHR, always choose North security as they don't have a body scanner, makes things much quicker when you refuse to X-Ray the pump and handset, a simple pat down rather than having to also refuse the body scanner and end up with a private search.

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I flew at weekend, I told the security at the X-ray and they were fine, no one asked to see anything, have a good trip!

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got to try out the body scanner at Heathrow T5 last week, have set off the metal detectors the last three times in a row that I've been through Gatwick and the last time I went through Dublin as well - all because I've forgotten to remove my belt/watch/dog tags with medical info/all three.

In none of those instances has anyone ever then questioned the insulin pens, insulin, or pen needles in my bag. There's no need for them to be in a clear plastic bag either - I think original packaging is generally recommended. I do normally carry a copy of my last prescription though, just in case.

Enjoy your holiday.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All my medication goes in my hand luggage. I keep the bag small enough that it goes under the seat in front of me, not in the overhead bin, so that if I want to get to it in flight, I can without any difficulty.

Kevlar87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
I used to make sure I always had a letter with me but then I lost the letter and was told that I had to pay for my GP to write another one! the security NEVER say anything though because bolus and basal pens both contain less than 100ml! :D

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
My GP charged me for a letter shortly after the requirement to really have one came in (around shoe bombing time) and then wrote it as if I'd only have diabetes for the period of the trip so I'd have to keep coming back. Did she know something about a cure that I didn't???? So I got a friend who was a dr to write me a letter and have produced it over and over again in dog eared state. They hardly ever ask though and I carry syringes. The frio goes in the clear bag because the insulin is a liquid but they have never asked me to take the insulin from the frio.