Been to the Docs

ramraider

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been to the doctors today with pains and tingling in arm and back she diagnosed diabetic neuropathy and prescribed Amitriptyline to help me sleep at night as the pain keeps me awake at night. But the thing that has bothered me is the HB1AC she gave me it said the usual stuff on it plus in brackets (do you expect type 1 ??) .My levels last hb1ac was 7 but recently i have been having high levels between 12 to 15
I am on 2x500mg metformin twice daily and 1 20mg statin

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well...it could well be the statin. What were your cholesterol levels?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, beware the statins as they have a range of side effects. What is your BMI and what was your HBa1C as your post didn't give it.

ramraider

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
not sure what they was but the doc says coming down i had the pains before taking statins but they have gradualy got worse but i did stop taking statins for a while but it made no difference hba1c was 7 thats all they told me

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and thanks. OK, so it wasn't the statins. An HBa1C of 7% is not at all bad but aiming for under 6.5% is good. If your HBa1C has been around 7% that would not normally cause short-term damage. I think all you can do is have a low-carb diet and try to get the HBa1C nearer to 6%. Hopefully at least some of the nerve pain will fade and the amitriptyline should help - an excellent pain killer which my wife used for her frozen shoulder.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I see your blood glucose levels are 12-15. What sort of foods do you eat in a typical day?

ramraider

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see your blood glucose levels are 12-15. What sort of foods do you eat in a typical day?
i do try my best low carbs lol
got a letter from the docs this morning about blood test results, will have to wait untill monday to find out