Struggling today

MacFee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think it's actually hit me today and I have been crying lots and really upset about it and what I have done to my body :(

Was diagnosed 1 week ago today with T2 , and I'm about 10 stone overweight , and feel so embarrassed that this is happening .

I'm terrified about what could happen to me in the future of I don't get this under control I have 3 very young kids and I'm so scared I won't see them grow up !

Xxx

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Please take heart from the fact that you want to change your situation. There are several people on this forum who have lost loads of weight and turned their health around. I've been type 2 for almost 10yrs and have had no diabetic complications despite being five stones overweight for most of that time. I'm losing weight slowly but surely on the lchf diet and the lovely thing is that I'm never hungry unlike all of the other diets I've tried. Please consider cutting your carbs and finding a way to include a little exercise, I walk every day now when I started I had to rest every few minutes but now I actually look forward to my walks. You can change your life, it's not too late. Hugs x

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you want a bit of inspiration, then read the success stories on the forum.
I personally though not diabetic have lost close to five stones in just about two years.
Lchf works and like the postoperative you don't feel hungry.
My blog tells my story of fifteen years to get where is now!
I have lost a lot of close family and friends and I thought it was me next!
Not so! I'm here to see my grandkids grow up and definitely want to see my great grandkids if I'm fortunate. I ain't going anywhere yet!

Just look at what it would mean to your kids, if you didn't do something!
Do it for them! They would be better off with you than without you!
If I can do it! Anybody can!

Reactions: 11 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
learn from the past ... look to the future .. YOU can loose the weight, YOU can get your blood sugar under control, YOU CAN DO THIS .. no-one is saying it will work overnight .. no-one is giving you an impossible task .. Take a day or two to get your head around everything .. READ the advice on this site ..don't be afraid to go against popular outdated advice for your new eating plan. If your shown the eat well plate and given advice on healthy eating .. just smile sweetly and think the medical person showing you this way of managing your diabetes, more often than not, do not have diabetes themselves, they do not, more often than not .. even know your name.
The best advice around you will find here .. we have the T shirt .. we have been where you are ..and come out the other side.
So your basic tools to taking control is ... this forum .. A blood sugar meter that uses affordable test strips .. a magnifying glass to read the small print on the food labels ... a calculator to work out the carbs in your meals .. a note book to keep a record of your food and blood sugars in .. and the courage to take control.
To quote nosher .... If I can do it! Anybody can!

Reactions: 11 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Think it's actually hit me today and I have been crying lots and really upset about it and what I have done to my body :(

Was diagnosed 1 week ago today with T2 , and I'm about 10 stone overweight , and feel so embarrassed that this is happening .

I'm terrified about what could happen to me in the future of I don't get this under control I have 3 very young kids and I'm so scared I won't see them grow up !

Xxx
Aw, hugs, Macfee. You're not alone, many of us have felt this way and have come out the other side. I have been 10 stone overweight before... I started eating low-carb and lost 8 stone in 12 months. Set yourself small goals that will add up to the big goal. Focus on reducing your blood sugar levels and the weight loss will follow from that, you'll see.

I am sure you will be able to get your blood sugars under control - perhaps within a few weeks, based on what I've seen others here achieve. The first step is to get a meter, then plan your supermarket trip to fill your kitchen with the right kind of foods.

Reactions: 9 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Don't panic as you can lose all that excess weight. You've already had a lot of good advice from the above posters. Keep the carbs down and increase the proteins, fats veg and non-tropical fruit. Ignore anyone who says fat will make you fat as it's the carbs that are the problem not the fats. Fats have a lot of vital nutrients and so do proteins, veg and fruits; sugar and refined carbs have effectively none and the body stores excess as fat. Do let us know how you get on.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Xxx

Aww bless you. Fear not, you have come to the right place. I'm sure @daisy1 will be along to give you all the information about how you can take control of the diabetes, lose the weight and start feeling good about yourself. It's a lot to take in but if I can do it anyone can. Please stop getting upset and and worrying about it. It can get better, really it can.

You will find so much support on here, nothing's too much trouble so ask away and there'll always be someone with the answers.

Joining this Forum will be your first step to success xxx

Reactions: 7 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@MacFee

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here, on your way to a healthier you, is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful in addition to the answers above. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 6 people

geoffh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @MacFee !

I've been where you are. And it wasn't that long ago.

There is definitely hope - and the best bit is you've found out about your diabetes while you can still make a difference. I've got about 8 more stone to lose (lost 2 already!) and the support on here is great.

Best advice - buy a blood glucose meter. Most people on here use the SD codefree meter (from http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm) because the test strips are the cheapest out there, but you might get prescribed one if you're lucky. Once you've got one you can start to get an understanding of how well (or not) your body copes with different types of food. As other people have said, the NHS can be a bit outdated in its thinking and advice sometimes - testing yourself and finding out what you can (and can't) eat is the only way to learn.

Geoff

Reactions: 8 people

MacFee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry guys for some reason every time I write a post it won't let me post it ! I do really appreciate all your help and advise and your all so kind !

Saw a nurse this morning for a blood test nothing to do with the diabetes but she said she was going to be my diabetic nurse and I have to make an appointment with her in a couple of weeks ! She gave me a book to read which I have learnt I have been testing my blood wrong ! When I do it the right way ( from side of the finger ) it's much lower !! Which is good !! Xx

Reactions: 7 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Macfee. Glad to see you are feeling more positive and hopefully on your way to taking control of what doesn't have to be as bad as you may think at first. xxx Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing xxxx

jenhop187

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in February this year but it didn't sink in until around August time and it hit me hard, very hard. I'm type 1, diagnosed at 28years so quick a shock. It took me a while to accept it and there are still days I question why this has happened to me. You need to accept what has happened, have a good long cry, and then after that you can start to look at the future. It's going to be a big life change but you can do it. Have the determination of your children and you will be fine. With type to it all about your lifestyle and it is possible to reverse your diabetes if you stick with it. Good luck x

Reactions: 3 people