Safe fruit

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd also say test and see.

I don't eat fruit every day (realised as soon as I typed that, that it's not true - there's tomatoes and cucumber in most of my salads). But I eat grapefruit, oranges, apples and bananas, as well as all the berries when there's a cheap offer on them. I have them as part of a meal, and I've tested post-meal to see what effect each has had. I'm now realising we can vary enormously and it's something I'll keep an eye on. I'm carb-counting, which is a big incentive to keep the overall amount of fruit down and I'm eating way less of it than I used to.

Tonmick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
call centres. Bigots, liars, people who don't care, people who dump rubbish on our streets and country side
I have blueberry's mostly at breakfast with almonds and full cream milk, followed by cheese and thin wafers with butter, I do eat strawberry's, I love apples and oranges but my readings go high. At the end of the day its best to try different fruit to see what suits you. I now after six years of listening being told of what to eat, I do and try different foods myself and check my levels 2-3 times a day it works for me my weekly average is 6.8, where it was up in the 25, but I do take high dosage of insulin which I am reducing now

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat blueberries almost every day as well as frozen, berries, strawberries, raspberries and green apples occasionally. That is all, I don't eat any other fruit. If eaten with yogurt/cream and nuts it doesn't spike my BG. I don't eat any fruit after lunchtime however as my evening sugars are always slightly higher and don't want to risk it.

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat 2 pieces of fruit a day which was suggested to me by my diabetic dietician, and it varies from apple, melon, water melon, kiwi, orange, hard pear. These fruits do not seem to interfere with my diabetis, I must add that I also do one hour of walking on a daily basis.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat 2 pieces of fruit a day which was suggested to me by my diabetic dietician, and it varies from apple, melon, water melon, kiwi, orange, hard pear. These fruits do not seem to interfere with my diabetis, I must add that I also do one hour of walking on a daily basis.

Interesting .... someone on my EXPERT course, who'd had his BG controlled by diet and exercise for around 10 years by diet and exercise, told me to test the difference according to how soon after eating I did exercise. He's a retired doctor, so I think I'll try this, too. I'm doing an hour's walking a day (almost up to the 10,000 steps daily average), but now I realise the timing of it can also help.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I still eat an orange every day - about 11g carbs but the type of fibre works well for me. It's really a matter of testing - and definitely eat it as part of a meal containing fat and protein as well.

I too eat an orange every day after my evening meal and have done almost from diagnosis.

I also eat an apple most days after my lunch too.

Testing is the key.

Reactions: 2 people