how to deal with primary school

AlistairSam

My kid's school have a protocol what to do when my kid has a hypo and I discovered today they havent been following it for maybe half a year and I feel sick that I only now found out. Rather than giving him a sweet from his box, waiting and retesting, they have just been giving him his bolus anyway when he is already low. He told the assistant this was wrong but he was overruled and told me he gave up arguing with the adults. It makes me angry partly with myself for not checking his meter more carefully, but also for not arranging my own followup training with the assistants. The really annoying thing is the school last week made a song and dance about a classmate stealing the diabetes emergency sweets from his box, but all the time they have been risking giving him a really severe hypo. They have also not been retesting. It makes me more motivated to get a sensor for him, if I can persuade him to wear it.

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow..Disgusting, the school should legally have a medical plan for him in place which you have agreed and that they follow. They are being negligent, it's their duty of care.poor you, you must be so angry. I would write to the head, the governors and the staff involved directly, they can't have a clue that what they are doing could result in him being seriously ill. I'm a teacher with t1 and we had a lad recently with t1 at school, and we followed the plan carefully. Perhaps set up another meeting too and ask all staff to attend- you could ask your diabetic nurse to do it if it would be too emotional / intimidating to do it.

Reactions: 6 people

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ps something that you could have to monitor this sort of thing is a log book, get them to log every blood test, insulin given, hypo (and how it was treated), high etc with times, in a daily book that comes home.

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree - make a formal complaint. If they had a protocol to follow then ignoring that is negligent as well as potentially dangerous for your son. I can't see what excuse they had. Could they not be bothered to wait? Do they not understand diabetes well enough? Not that that would be any excuse as all they have to do is follow instructions.

I feel very sorry for your son, feeling he had to give up correcting them. Could you perhaps tell him what to say if anything like that happened again? I'm mainly thinking he could ask the school to,phone you and check, perhaps.