Hello, thank you and a question about fat!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with boarderline diabetes. To be honest I think my GP was more shocked than I was. But it still terrified me. Ive always had problems tolerating sugar and have been struggling for years, with awful hypos a few hours after eating, sometimes to the point of almost collapse. I'm 50 now so she kept saying it's the menapause but I knew it wasnt! So I think I knew it was coming. I have been feeling so fatigued for the past 6 months that I asked for some blood tests. They have come back with a level of Hba1c 44. So not much over but they have gone up a lot in the past 2 years. I have asked for a oral glucose tolerance test but they won't do one. Can you insist on that do you know?

Since hitting 50 I stared to gain weight I just ate more and more carbs and couldn't work out why I'd kept putting on weight!! I couldnt understand it as in my mind i wasn't eating sugar. Doh!! I would eat a wacking meal then be starving an hour later.

Can I just say what a fabulous site this is. I have been reading it almost daily for the past month and have learnt so much from you all. Because of what i have read I have now started a LCHF way of eating, much to the disapproval of the diabetic team. I have lost nearly a stone already. My BMI is 27 so i need to lose about a stone and a half more. I have not a single hypo since starting. I am testing my blood sugars pre and after meals go see what impacts me. Although I have not eaten any bread, potato or rice since starting it. Too scared I won't be able to stop if I start again!!

I am slightly confused how to work out how much fat to eat tho..do you need to count it or if I'm losing weight just assume I'm doing it right. I'm sticking to below 50gm carbs per day but most days it's under 30.

Thanks again you have been a total lifesaver

If I eat to I'm full, I wouldn't stop, I'd put weight on like there was no tomorrow, so for some of us it's not so simple.
But, to answer the question on how much, if you are losing weight, (and you want to) you're doing it right.
If you want to gain weight, (or stop losing when you get to that point) eat more fat.

As to what fat, that's another question entirely.