ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi guys,
so I went for a blood test on Monday for a course that I need to attend regarding my diabetes ( DESMOND it is called), so I had the blood test and I come home from work with a letter saying that I need to go and see a practice nurse, so I rang up to make an appointment regarding this asking what it was about and the receptionist told me it was that my overall blood 'HB1 or something' ( her words) was high...

I don't know how to feel about this and it has shook me a bit as I have cut down on loads of sugar and stuff that I needed to ! :/
so does anyone know why it is high?

Thanks in advance!

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Claire, what are you eating that is causing your BG rise? Most people on the forum have reduced their numbers by following LCHF way of eating. Tell us what you have been eating and we could give you advice.

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
for breakfast it is porridge on the odd occasion jam on toast,
Lunch is always a sandwich with quavers
and tea can be anything from a curry, to pork salmon all with veggies
snacks is fruit belvita, fruit, snack a jack, nuts..

My diabetes nurse who I also saw on Monday said she is happy with my daily bloods that I take as I seem to be getting them under control, I haven't had a daily result over 9 in a few weeks, that we both was glad about.. so I thought I was getting somewhere :(

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that 9 is too high. Do you test your own blood, it is essential that you know what your food is doing to you. I'm afraid that most of your food is unsuitable. Some people can manage porridge but other cannot. Sandwiches & crisps are a no no. Your snacks are unsuitable as well. Have a look at the Low Carb thread and 'What have you eaten today; threads, that will give you an idea of what most people eat. I'm sure @daisy1 will be along shortly to give you her advice.

Reactions: 4 people

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I haven't had one at 9 for a few weeks that have been around 8 and lower, yes I used to test 4 times a day but as of Monday its now 2 times, I had a food diary that I took to the diabetes nurse on Monday and she said what I was having was fine but to just increase my exercise up for a extra 10 minutes a day, she also told me that if I cut out everything at once then I wouldn't' stick to the diet as much she said that moderation is good and she also said that I wouldn't be able to know what made them rise, so I am really confused!

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're about to start on a course of diabetes education, can I suggest you don't do anything very much for a week or so? I think attending the course is going to teach you a lot, and help you focus on priorities. Also, you'll meet other people in the same situation, and you can see what other people are managing to do, and what they're finding hard, and so on. All of that will really help you. I'm just coming to the end of a 6-session course (once a week for 6 weeks) like yours, and in my group, we were all at different stages, both as to how long we've had diabetes, and how we've tried to get the blood glucose levels down. I've learnt a lot from it.

If you want to get on with something straightaway, start carb counting for the diet you're eating at the moment. If you work it out for yourself, it'll mean much more than any of us saying you're eating too many carbs and that's the cause of your high level HbA1c test results. Lots of what you're eating has got the carbohydrate details printed on the packet.

My guess is that part of what your nurse is saying to you is coming from what she knows about you and what she thinks you can manage as regards changes. despite what some people would lead you to believe, many of us find this seriously hard! I manage to make one small change at a time (in my diet and exercise). Gradually, the overall effect's good.

Reactions: 6 people

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
If you're about to start on a course of diabetes education, can I suggest you don't do anything very much for a week or so? I think attending the course is going to teach you a lot, and help you focus on priorities. Also, you'll meet other people in the same situation, and you can see what other people are managing to do, and what they're finding hard, and so on. All of that will really help you. I'm just coming to the end of a 6-session course (once a week for 6 weeks) like yours, and in my group, we were all at different stages, both as to how long we've had diabetes, and how we've tried to get the blood glucose levels down. I've learnt a lot from it.

If you want to get on with something straightaway, start carb counting for the diet you're eating at the moment. If you work it out for yourself, it'll mean much more than any of us saying you're eating too many carbs and that's the cause of your high level HbA1c test results. Lots of what you're eating has got the carbohydrate details printed on the packet.

My guess is that part of what your nurse is saying to you is coming from what she knows about you and what she thinks you can manage as regards changes. despite what some people would lead you to believe, many of us find this seriously hard! I manage to make one small change at a time (in my diet and exercise). Gradually, the overall effect's good.

Yeah im going on a course, so should I continue to what i am doing now? I really hope I meet some people I've met one person and she is totally laid back about it she knows how to control it and what she can and cant eat! I long to be like that!
yes it really hard, especially with family, and friends they think I can eat whatever if I eat in moderation, i am constantly saying I cant have that, its got to much sugar its to much fat! I have started walking to and from work and I feel a lot better since doing that, i am thinking of starting a gym but I am a bit conscious of that yet!X

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Low carbing is the key to reducing BGs. Nurses and courses will tell you it's fine to eat a lot of carbs, but I'm afraid they are wrong. Test before eating and 2 hours after and you will soon see the effect high-carb food has on your BGs. I don't find it complicated, to me it's rather simple.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Claire - have another look at the Basic Information I posted for you earlier in your first thread. It should be able to help you.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carbing is the key to reducing BGs. Nurses and courses will tell you it's fine to eat a lot of carbs, but I'm afraid they are wrong. Test before eating and 2 hours after and you will soon see the effect high-carb food has on your BGs. I don't find it complicated, to me it's rather simple.

I think LCHF is a great strategy for lowering blood sugars. Lots of us have good blood sugars manage to eat normal amounts of carbs though.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think LCHF is a great strategy for lowering blood sugars. Lots of us have good blood sugars manage to eat normal amounts of carbs though.

I think to say lots of people manage to eat normal amounts of carbs is potentially misleading. For T1s, I would probably agree with you, but for T2s, such as the OP, I wouldn't say that's the case. I would say most T2s have achieved decent blood scores by modifying their carb intake, and some manage, given time, to eat more normal levels of carbs.

It is my firmly held belief that even those who can consume "normal amounts of carbs" are probably still eating less than they did pre-diagnosis.

I believe at the outset there is often a flawed perception of what "normal carbs" actually is/are. Is it a few potatoes on a plate with meat and two veg, or is it curry, rice, an onion bhaji and naan bread?

Reactions: 7 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As everyone says, you're going to have to change your diet, to a low carb one, because it's what makes one of the biggest differences (the other one is the amount of exercise) but my guess is that if you've no past experience of something like calorie counting, this is going to be a very steep learning curve. That's why I suggested carb counting your diet as it is at present as a first step. To get results, you have to learn the amounts of carbs in all and everything, and then control the amount you have each day, and in each meal, and especially in the snacks.

So, before the course, how about getting to grips with the snacks? How many carbs are in each snack? Keep it all in a small notebook you keep with you all the time, maybe? If you eat your meals with other people (family, for example), you might find it more difficult to sort those out. My guess is that you choose your own snacks - so can choose what snacks you have, when, and if you have them at all. So an easier first step?

And keep reading the basic information you've been given here as a newbie. You'll get lots more info on the DESMOND course, but the more you know at the start, the more you'll get out of the course.

And how about keeping a record of your exercise in the notebook, too? My main exercise is walking (occasional bike rides), and I can't see me ever taking to a gym - there's a thread some of us post on that you could join in on here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/regular-moderate-exercise-log.83995/page-6#post-964769.

I'm always trying to build more walking into my daily routines. Could you add in a lunch break walk - maybe with someone else for company? Go public about wanting a lunchtime walking buddy? We're much less likely not to do it if we've told someone else we're going to do it. So even telling all of us here really does make a difference.

Sorry - that was a lot! Once I start, I can't stop sometimes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,
so I went for a blood test on Monday for a course that I need to attend regarding my diabetes ( DESMOND it is called), so I had the blood test and I come home from work with a letter saying that I need to go and see a practice nurse, so I rang up to make an appointment regarding this asking what it was about and the receptionist told me it was that my overall blood 'HB1 or something' ( her words) was high...

I don't know how to feel about this and it has shook me a bit as I have cut down on loads of sugar and stuff that I needed to ! :/
so does anyone know why it is high?

Thanks in advance!

Until you get to see the nurse, you don't know what "high" means. It could mean it's the same as it was last time. It could have come down a bit, but still needs work, and she's just calling it high, or it could be a bit higher than last time.

Until you see her, there's little point in wasting nervous energy on a potential problem. Bets to keep that energy, should you have to tackle a real problem.

Good luck when you see her.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think to say lots of people manage to eat normal amounts of carbs is potentially misleading. For T1s, I would probably agree with you, but for T2s, such as the OP, I wouldn't say that's the case. I would say most T2s have achieved decent blood scores by modifying their carb intake, and some manage, given time, to eat more normal levels of carbs.

It is my firmly held belief that even those who can consume "normal amounts of carbs" are probably still eating less than they did pre-diagnosis.

I believe at the outset there is often a flawed perception of what "normal carbs" actually is/are. Is it a few potatoes on a plate with meat and two veg, or is it curry, rice, an onion bhaji and naan bread?

That's a very fair point. I think my carb intake is now normal but reduced from being carb very heavy! And sugar is an occasional treat food. I do occasionally indulge in heavy carbs but the fundamentals of my diet have changed.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a very fair point. I think my carb intake is now normal but reduced from being carb very heavy! And sugar is an occasional treat food. I do occasionally indulge in heavy carbs but the fundamentals of my diet have changed.

Very good point!

One of the things we've been keeping coming back to in my T2 diabetes management course is what a 'normal' portion size is, and lots of us are getting our heads around how much less this is than what we've nearly all got used to thinking of as the amount we need. (I'm on an X-PERT course, but my guess is that it's much the same as the DESMOND course.)

C

catherinecherub

Hi @ClaireLou94,

Try and think of this as a marathon rather than a sprint. It takes a while to get your head around what is the best way forward for you.

Other people can tell you how many carbs they include in their diet but they cannot tell you what is right for you.
Some of your food choices may not be suitable. When you eat porridge are you eating the processed kind or the rough cut oats? You could try a smaller portion of the rough ones and add some crushed nuts and seeds which will lower the impact.
Toast and jam will do nothing for your blood sugars as it is mainly sugar and starch.
Same with the sandwich. Which bread are you using? White bread is something that will not work. Recommended ones here are the seeded ones and there are three that people seem to have success with. Try Bergen Soya and Linseed, Lidld high protein rolls or HiLo from Sainsbury. Make sure you have protein and fibre within the sandwich which will also lower the impact. Belvita biscuits may impact on your blood sugars.

You do not mention which vegetables you eat within your main meals or if you are including rice pasta or potatoes with it. You may have to reduce the portion size of these, depending on your results, or try a smaller portion. Some vegetables have a higher carb content than others.
Fruit is best eaten as part of your meal rather than as a snack as some fruits have a high sugar content.

Can I ask why you have lowered the amount of times that you are testing? Is this a cost cutting exercise or something you have been told to do? The testing is the only way that you will be able to see which foods impact on your blood sugars and if you keep a food diary with your results included it is easy to refer to rather than keep trying the same foods over and over again.
There is no right amount of carbs that anyone can eat, it is just trial and error until you find what works for you.

Keep asking questions, keep testing and it will gradually become clearer.
Good luck, you will get there.

Reactions: 6 people

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi @ClaireLou94,

Try and think of this as a marathon rather than a sprint. It takes a while to get your head around what is the best way forward for you.

Other people can tell you how many carbs they include in their diet but they cannot tell you what is right for you.
Some of your food choices may not be suitable. When you eat porridge are you eating the processed kind or the rough cut oats? You could try a smaller portion of the rough ones and add some crushed nuts and seeds which will lower the impact.
Toast and jam will do nothing for your blood sugars as it is mainly sugar and starch.
Same with the sandwich. Which bread are you using? White bread is something that will not work. Recommended ones here are the seeded ones and there are three that people seem to have success with. Try Bergen Soya and Linseed, Lidld high protein rolls or HiLo from Sainsbury. Make sure you have protein and fibre within the sandwich which will also lower the impact. Belvita biscuits may impact on your blood sugars.

You do not mention which vegetables you eat within your main meals or if you are including rice pasta or potatoes with it. You may have to reduce the portion size of these, depending on your results, or try a smaller portion. Some vegetables have a higher carb content than others.
Fruit is best eaten as part of your meal rather than as a snack as some fruits have a high sugar content.

Can I ask why you have lowered the amount of times that you are testing? Is this a cost cutting exercise or something you have been told to do? The testing is the only way that you will be able to see which foods impact on your blood sugars and if you keep a food diary with your results included it is easy to refer to rather than keep trying the same foods over and over again.
There is no right amount of carbs that anyone can eat, it is just trial and error until you find what works for you.

Keep asking questions, keep testing and it will gradually become clearer.
Good luck, you will get there.

Hi, I am having the oats from the bottom shelf tescos everyday value?
Veg I have a broccoli carrots and green beans the steam packet ones!

The diabetic nurse said that the doctor won't keep providing the strips if I am testing 4 times a day, so she said I need to cut down to 2 times a day and then in a few months to once a week then once a month!

I have found that the belvita fruit and the hazelnut ones if I have them with dinner my levels are ok but if I have them after tea my levels rise so I have stopped having them with tea, is this a good thing or should I completely cut them out?

I'm so full of questions and learning hopefully I'll get my head around it soon ! Xx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi, I am having the oats from the bottom shelf tescos everyday value?
Veg I have a broccoli carrots and green beans the steam packet ones!

The diabetic nurse said that the doctor won't keep providing the strips if I am testing 4 times a day, so she said I need to cut down to 2 times a day and then in a few months to once a week then once a month!

I have found that the belvita fruit and the hazelnut ones if I have them with dinner my levels are ok but if I have them after tea my levels rise so I have stopped having them with tea, is this a good thing or should I completely cut them out?

I'm so full of questions and learning hopefully I'll get my head around it soon ! Xx
It's a shame your nurse and doctor don't support ample self testing. The meters they provide usually have pretty expensive test strips, so many of us use the SD Codefree meter, available here:
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

... because they have the cheapest test strips on the market. There is a discount code if you buy 5 or 10 boxes, which brings the price down to about £5 for 50 strips.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

I know it's another expense but believe me it really helps you get your diabetes under control and avoid the risk of complications. You don't need to test 7-8 times a day forever, just enough so you learn which foods raise your BG the most.

Keep up the good work, you'll get there. :)

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... The diabetic nurse said that the doctor won't keep providing the strips if I am testing 4 times a day, so she said I need to cut down to 2 times a day and then in a few months to once a week then once a month!...

It sounds to me as if you're already making progress, working out how things are affecting you.

I haven't been given monitor or supplies by my GP, so I also limit the amount of testing I do. But even so, when you compare the price of one test strip to the price of all sorts of snack foods, you can see which is better value for money! So I'd also suggest getting your own free meter and the cheaper test strips.

If you're in charge of your own supplies, you can have days where you test before and after every meal, and really get to grips with what foods have what effect. But don't assume you have to do this for ever. I carb-count all the time, but have a week where I do a lot of testing, think about what it's showing, have a break from testing, try to make changes in my diet, and then go back to another few days of lots of testing, to see if there's a difference.

My meter can be plugged in so I can see a chart of the readings on my computer (and maybe they all do that). I find looking at that helps - not just at the individual readings.