Getting bloods under 7.0mmol

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I've always had a good appetite. And I've always been slim - the only exception being when I was first diagnosed, and put on some weight for a brief while.

Feeding the insulin is so much easier now that there's a very-fast-acting insulin like Novorapid. That means I can eat an early-evening meal, and still go to bed with practically no insulin active. In effect, I'm non-diabetic until I wake up.

The unusual insulin/dietary regimen I follow works for me purely because I want the most effective cure that I can manage, given my good appetite for good food.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
[
This paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1838950/ suggests that at bg levels of 1.7-1.9 mmol/l in rats, brain cell death has been observed, however at bg levels of 2.5mmol/l the same thing was not observed. Unfortunately they didn't talk about 2.0 mmol/l. In addition, the amount of time spent at that level is the most important factor in how much damage is done.

Reactions: 3 people

elaineste

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I'm on humalog which I have dinner and tea and then I'm on humulin of an evening. The lowest I've been is 4.2. Now I know it's technically not a hypo but I feel like it is for me.

Does anyone know how long humulin and humalog last for in your system?

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Pinkjessi21_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I've been T1 for 5 months. Im on levermir and novorapid 1:10. When are you testing post meals? Because I was told you should be below 9 two hours post meals, which I am but if I were to test sooner than two hours I would be in the teens. Also I found that I needed less novorapid if I ate later at night as I would hypo during the night. I think it would bring my bg down to a normal level before bed but I need to be the higher end of normal to get me through the night. If that makes sense?