Loosing faith in Animas

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few weeks ago I had a very scary pump experience that has shaken me up. I changed my set as usual and my BG seemed fine. Set was comfy etc and as I had plans for the weekend I was pleased it was such a good site and set. I went to bed with perfect BG and no sign of any problems. I was woken up at 5am by my pump alarm saying occlusion detected. I thought maybe I'd laid on the set or something so tried to bolus but got immediate occlusion alarm. BG was 17 and rising very rapidly. Managed to inject and by now my BG was over 20 and still rising rapidly. I had blurred vision and felt very ill. I managed to insert a new cannula and set a big temp basal plus further bolus. It took hours for my BG to return to normal, I had ketones and felt so ill. Had a late breakfast to double check new set and suddenly had occlusion alarm again. Both the sets were from the same new box of insets. I suspected an issue and changed my set for one from another batch. I reported this to Animas who said to try each set as "some may work" and wouldn't send any new ones etc. They didn't seem to care or want the batch number.

I have a friend on the Vibe, an experienced pumper, who suggested she try some from the same box. She tried 3 and all of them came up occlusion alarm. She phoned to report and had the same not bothered response.

I am so nervous going to bed at night now after a set change and I'm leaving the old one in all night just in case. What upsets me more is that Animas are not investigating these issues and so there may be other reported bad batches in circulation. How can I trust them anymore?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Simple solution is to yellow card them.
Why not use a different set?

Reactions: 4 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do I yellow card them please?

I have tried other sets but the inset works best for me by far. The steel ones leaked and caused me massive highs all the time. The inset 30 caused painful lumps to form when I bolused and I found them hard to insert due to my sight problems and perception meant the feet looked flat but weren't etc. I'm needle phobic so need an inserter and don't think there is much more out there for me to try.

iHs

See if your hospital is willing to set up an account with the other luer company and see if the problem is the sets or you just not able to absorb insulin that well anymore through a cannula. It's silly to carry on like you are with the bg levels you are getting.
Touch wood....Ive not had the occlusion happen yet on the Vibe but you never know.
unomedical have got their bum into gear as the latest bath of Inset IIs have the springs ok so no problem there (yet)

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You know if you get a repeated occlusion like that, you can always bolus with a pen until you are confident your set is working as it should.