Newly diagnosed prediabetic

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What makes you think that chicken, spinach, rice, chips, naan AND cookies is a healthy day's food?

By your own admission, no breakfast, no lunch, then one unsubstantial veg, and 4 different sources of starch? That wouldn't be a healthy meal for anyone, let alone someone with a recognised glucose intolerance.

Even if you intend to follow NHS dietary guidelines (which I consider to be extremely bad for diabetics), then you should be aiming for about 5 portions of veg (and fruit) a day, with predominantly wholegrains as your carbohydrate source.

Reactions: 6 people

Missy2302

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your son may not feel any different when his BG is over 30, but he is risking a serious medical condition that can occur when BG is that high. This is one reason why self testing is important.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/hyperosmolar-hyperglycemic-nonketotic-syndrome.html

I'm sure your doctor is a good doctor when it comes to diagnosing and treating medical conditions. However, he is wrong about carbs and nutrition, like most doctors and nurses are. Eating more than a very small amount of carbs is not healthy for T2 diabetics and prediabetics. Let's wait and see what your meter says before forming a fixed view of carbs.

When I woke up this morning I did my first blood sugar test on my meter and it came out as 5.7 at 9:15am and have only had a crumpet and 3 cups of coffee with semi skimmed milk. My blood sugar is now 6.1. Is this an ok level?

By the way, @Missy2302, have you read any of your son @akindrat18 's threads on here?
He has been given a lot of advice and support from some very knowledgeable and generous natured members. Interesting reading, and some of the advice could help you too.

Yes I have read his previous threads and I am in shock. He hasn't talked to me about how he is doing with his diabetes in months. His post on the low carb thread on 31st July is a lie as he hasn't talked to me or my husband about his feelings when we go food shopping.

What makes you think that chicken, spinach, rice, chips, naan AND cookies is a healthy day's food?

By your own admission, no breakfast, no lunch, then one unsubstantial veg, and 4 different sources of starch? That wouldn't be a healthy meal for anyone, let alone someone with a recognised glucose intolerance.

Even if you intend to follow NHS dietary guidelines (which I consider to be extremely bad for diabetics), then you should be aiming for about 5 portions of veg (and fruit) a day, with predominantly wholegrains as your carbohydrate source.

I could do without the chips, but i share half a naan bread with my son, whilst my husband has one all to himself and half a plate of chips. Also as long as I have one meal a day I feel fine, if I have too much food I feel bloated. I walk into work and walk back home when I'm on a early shift and get the bus back home on a late shift.

I don't feel like having anything to eat in the morning or afternoon and if I do have anything to eat it will either be a handful of nuts or fruits like plums, apples and oranges. If I'm home I will snack on a fruit ryvita with a pot of Greek style yogurt with strawberry fruit on top.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your eating habits have got you in this mess. If you don't change them drastically, your current situation will get worse, and worse, and worse still. Only you can do this. We can't do it for you. As you have read your son's threads you will have seen all the advice he has been given. It applies to you, too. It can be done, and you have every chance of not becoming a full blown diabetic if you follow the advice to eat far less carbs, especially potatoes, bread, peas, rice, flour and pasta.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Missy2302 when you test you start with a baseline test before you start eating and then test two hours after the first bite. I find a test at one hour useful too to catch any possible spikes.

Missy2302

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your eating habits have got you in this mess. If you don't change them drastically, your current situation will get worse, and worse, and worse still. Only you can do this. We can't do it for you. As you have read your son's threads you will have seen all the advice he has been given. It applies to you, too. It can be done, and you have every chance of not becoming a full blown diabetic if you follow the advice to eat far less carbs, especially potatoes, bread, peas, rice, flour and pasta.

I don't need to drastically change my eating habits, I just need to cut down on the junk food, wine and less baking as I love to bake. I have already packed in smoking for Stoptober and joined weight watchers last month. I am doing really well so far without having a cigarette since the start of the month. I will start cutting down my portions of carbs, but I won't cut them out all together as I will still need to have some for energy throughout the day.

Hi @Missy2302 when you test you start with a baseline test before you start eating and then test two hours after the first bite. I find a test at one hour useful too to catch any possible spikes.

I had a blood sugar reading of 3.6 today at 3:45pm before I had my nutrigrain bar and an hour ago my blood sugar reading was 4.6. Is it normal to go lower than 3.6?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't need to drastically change my eating habits, I just need to cut down on the junk food, wine and less baking as I love to bake. I have already packed in smoking for Stoptober and joined weight watchers last month. I am doing really well so far without having a cigarette since the start of the month. I will start cutting down my portions of carbs, but I won't cut them out all together as I will still need to have some for energy throughout the day.

You only need a few carbs to live a healthy life, only if you have other medical conditions do you need to eat carbs. You will get all your carbs from vegetables and meat and full fat.
You don't need to eat starch and grains!
I am in ketosis and I don't need carbs!

I had a blood sugar reading of 3.6 today at 3:45pm before I had my nutrigrain bar and an hour ago my blood sugar reading was 4.6. Is it normal to go lower than 3.6?

3.6 is borderline, but it all depends on when after your meal you tested and monitors are not as accurate as you think, they will be out a few mmols.
3.6 would be a hypo for me, but I'm not diabetic!

Missy2302

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All that I've ate today is a crumpet this morning and a nutrigrain bar with a handful of nuts. I felt ok at the time I had the 3.6 reading. Just checked my blood sugar reading at 8pm and is at 5.1.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Some diabetics can live normal at those levels and don't have hypo symptoms. I think @Robinredbreast does.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Well done on stopping smoking, and on joining weight watchers. Reducing carbs will help. We can get energy from fat and protein as well as carbs. Your son's need to reduce carbs is more urgent and important than your own at the moment. So if you could work with him on that I think it would be a great help.

Missy2302

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not so keen on eating fats as I feel sick if I eat too much fatty foods. I'm trying to help my son, he has only had 2 slices of pepperoni pizza and a slice of garlic pizza bread, normally he has 3 of each with my husband. I think that he is still snacking on junk food secretly, but he is losing weight by going the gym and he has just told me that he has lost 8 pounds since September and is doing a sponsored 15 mile walk on Monday. I don't know what to do as I am proud for his weight loss.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Why on earth are you eating pizza and pizza bread? Those items should be banned on your LC diet, but perhaps you're not following the LCHF diet.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm not so keen on eating fats as I feel sick if I eat too much fatty foods. I'm trying to help my son, he has only had 2 slices of pepperoni pizza and a slice of garlic pizza bread, normally he has 3 of each with my husband. I think that he is still snacking on junk food secretly, but he is losing weight by going the gym and he has just told me that he has lost 8 pounds since September and is doing a sponsored 15 mile walk on Monday. I don't know what to do as I am proud for his weight loss.
Maybe you could ask him if he wants you to go with him to nurse appointments, so you can both learn about food and diabetes management together? Since you live together it would probably be easier if you are both on the same page about the type of foods brought into the house and prepared for those in the house. It sounds like your husband wants to keep eating high carb food, which is his choice, but if you and your son want to eat low carb food then you could adjust things accordingly.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
BTW, you don't need to eat carbs for energy; that's what the adverts tell you 'cos that's what the food manufacturers want to to think. You get energy from almost any food, so increase the proteins and fats and not all food with fats needs to taste 'fatty'

Missy2302

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why on earth are you eating pizza and pizza bread? Those items should be banned on your LC diet, but perhaps you're not following the LCHF diet.

Why do they have to be banned, can't I just reduce the portion sizes? I hate to put a ban on foods. I asked my husband to shop at tesco last night and he bought pork chops, pasta, beef mince, a whole chicken, 2 pepperoni pizza and 2 garlic pizza bread, 2 bottles of coke and a bottle of wine for me. We had the pizza and pizza bread last night as it was 8:30pm when we got in and just wanted some quick and fast.

Maybe you could ask him if he wants you to go with him to nurse appointments, so you can both learn about food and diabetes management together? Since you live together it would probably be easier if you are both on the same page about the type of foods brought into the house and prepared for those in the house. It sounds like your husband wants to keep eating high carb food, which is his choice, but if you and your son want to eat low carb food then you could adjust things accordingly.

He doesn't want me at his appointments and he hasn't had an appointment with a diabetes nurse since leaving Derby, although he has one next Friday.

What are some healthier alternatives for breakfast instead of cereal or toast as I just want something quick and easy to eat. Would having a tin of soup be a good alternative or would this be ok:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
For breakfast I have greek yoghurt with berries. Less than 5% carbs.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I would ban all of the big carb items from the house for my son's sake. You are still only prediabetic, things aren't so urgent for you, but your son has been diabetic for a long time and still doesn't seem able to control what he eats. Yes I know he has lost weight but for him his BG control is even more important than his weight and he is being prescribed more and more drugs when the best way he can help himself is by sticking to a healthy diet (that's low carb). I love pizza, but never have it unless I am on holiday and can't find anything else I like.

If everything in the house was suitable for akindrat then he would only have himself to blame if he snacks on junk the rest of the time. You and your husband would also benefit health wise as LCHF is healthy for anyone, not just diabetics. My son follows LCHF with me and he isn't diabetic but was diagnosed with a fatty liver after a bout of glandular fever.

No, soup would not generally be a good choice for breakfast, unless it is homemade and you know what goes into it. Some ready made soup may be OK, but check the labels for total carb content. I opt for leftover veg fried in lard (any veg, just no potato) or bacon and low carb sausages or full fat Greek yoghurt with maybe a few berries. A full English breakfast without toast or potatoes would be ideal. There's lots of options there, but you have to want to do it. I believe if you could manage to do this then maybe your son would follow. In any case, at least he couldn't put the blame onto his parents anymore.

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Why do they have to be banned, can't I just reduce the portion sizes? I hate to put a ban on foods. I asked my husband to shop at tesco last night and he bought pork chops, pasta, beef mince, a whole chicken, 2 pepperoni pizza and 2 garlic pizza bread, 2 bottles of coke and a bottle of wine for me. We had the pizza and pizza bread last night as it was 8:30pm when we got in and just wanted some quick and fast.

He doesn't want me at his appointments and he hasn't had an appointment with a diabetes nurse since leaving Derby, although he has one next Friday.

What are some healthier alternatives for breakfast instead of cereal or toast as I just want something quick and easy to eat. Would having a tin of soup be a good alternative or would this be ok:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html
Instead of carby pizza, why not think about an omelette with perhaps mushrooms and bacon and a side salad. That's a quick an easy supper when you're pushed for time and it's late.

Missy2302

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For breakfast I have greek yoghurt with berries. Less than 5% carbs.

That sounds lovely, do you buy the big 500g yoghurt pots and what about other fruits as I am not too fond of berries.

Well I would ban all of the big carb items from the house for my son's sake. You are still only prediabetic, things aren't so urgent for you, but your son has been diabetic for a long time and still doesn't seem able to control what he eats. Yes I know he has lost weight but for him his BG control is even more important than his weight and he is being prescribed more and more drugs when the best way he can help himself is by sticking to a healthy diet (that's low carb). I love pizza, but never have it unless I am on holiday and can't find anything else I like.

If everything in the house was suitable for akindrat then he would only have himself to blame if he snacks on junk the rest of the time. You and your husband would also benefit health wise as LCHF is healthy for anyone, not just diabetics. My son follows LCHF with me and he isn't diabetic but was diagnosed with a fatty liver after a bout of glandular fever.

No, soup would not generally be a good choice for breakfast, unless it is homemade and you know what goes into it. Some ready made soup may be OK, but check the labels for total carb content. I opt for leftover veg fried in lard (any veg, just no potato) or bacon and low carb sausages or full fat Greek yoghurt with maybe a few berries. A full English breakfast without toast or potatoes would be ideal. There's lots of options there, but you have to want to do it. I believe if you could manage to do this then maybe your son would follow. In any case, at least he couldn't put the blame onto his parents anymore.

Are their any other diets apart from lchf diet, as I feel like I'm being pressurised into following this diet when I've seen a few diets that I like.

Instead of carby pizza, why not think about an omelette with perhaps mushrooms and bacon and a side salad. That's a quick an easy supper when you're pushed for time and it's late.

I asked my husband to do the shopping whilst I was still in work last night and we had no eggs in or any salad or veg in.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes there are other diets. You need to choose one that will cut down on your carb intake. LCHF is the only one that has worked for me, but have a look around the forum for others. The reason I mentioned LCHF is that your son has tried to follow it for a while and I thought it would be easier for all of you if you followed the same one. If you are asking simply for yourself, then as a pre diabetic, you just need to cut your carbs until your BGs stay at an acceptable level and then keep testing your BGs to check you are on track. If you can tolerate foods which your son cannot tolerate then I thought that might cause him problems, that's all. My family still have junk food, but only when they are out of the house so I am not tempted.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I buy the 1kg containers of yoghurt. Berries are the lowest carb fruits. Apples are next. Bananas and other tropical fruit are high in carbs.