ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A more respectable 6.2 fasting BG. Phew!
I thought I'd lost my way - permanently. :) :) :)

Reactions: 8 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Knock knock - only me! I was diagnosed T2 on Wednesday and I'd like to join the cool kids club :)

Reactions: 10 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
No, I'm diet and exercise only. I haven't updated my details, my latest HbA1c was 53 but I was reluctant to go on medication because my mum had a bad reaction to metformin. The doctor has ordered another HbA1c for December to see if I can lose some weight and bring my blood sugar levels down

Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Diamum5972 everyones welcome in our club. It should be achievable to bring your Hb result down and lose a bit of weight by Dec. Do you have a meter so you can test your BS.

Reactions: 4 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Diamum5972 everyones welcome in our club. It should be achievable to bring your Hb result down and lose a bit of weight by Dec. Do you have a meter so you can test your BS.
Yes I do, I have a codefree meter that was recommended on this forum. I've been taking just my fasting readings for the last 3-4 months but now I'm doing a period of intensive testing. I'm also making a conscious effort to do some light exercise every day, I have a bad back so it's been very easy to sit back and not make any effort but look where it's got me :/

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we have all been in that boat at some stage. Good on you for being so proactive with your health, every little bit helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think we have all been in that boat at some stage. Good on you for being so proactive with your health, every little bit helps.
Thanks, I want to make sure I don't overdo it. I am counting my blessings, when my mum was diagnosed she was already going blind through retinopathy.

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Morning All

Well, I started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid again last Tuesday, together with Benfotiamine and Methyl Cobolamine.

Since then I have seen a fairly marked downward trend in readings, and am feeling some hint of benefit to both my knee joint and the neuropathy symptoms, much as I did when i tried this combination on holiday.

Result before tea last night was 4.8 and only 5.0 this morning, which I think is entirely acceptable.

If it is the case that my problem is vitamin B related and things continue to go this way I may be able to reduce the Metformin dose, which I would be happy to do TBH, but will continue to monitor the situation for a while before doing anything else.

I have my annual review with the DN on Thursday so hopefully I should be able to show some progress.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All

Well, I started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid again last Tuesday, together with Benfotiamine and Methyl Cobolamine.

Since then I have seen a fairly marked downward trend in readings, and am feeling some hint of benefit to both my knee joint and the neuropathy symptoms, much as I did when i tried this combination on holiday.

Result before tea last night was 4.8 and only 5.0 this morning, which I think is entirely acceptable.

If it is the case that my problem is vitamin B related and things continue to go this way I may be able to reduce the Metformin dose, which I would be happy to do TBH, but will continue to monitor the situation for a while before doing anything else.

I have my annual review with the DN on Thursday so hopefully I should be able to show some progress.
That's very interesting. Do you feel that the ALA is having some sort of synergistic effect with the B vits? And how are you taking it? I'm tempted to try it myself, except at the moment I'm absolutely rattling with non-D medications and supplements.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning FBG 7.0 not too bad considering we ate a really late dinner and I had mashed potato and ice cream.

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
That's very interesting. Do you feel that the ALA is having some sort of synergistic effect with the B vits? And how are you taking it? I'm tempted to try it myself, except at the moment I'm absolutely rattling with non-D medications and supplements.
Hi there

Straight answer is "yes"

I'm taking capsules from simply supplements, 2 per day,1 with my morning Metformin 1 and before tea.

I've tried to mix and match, straight B12 plus ALA, ALA plus methyl B12 and Methyl B1, versus methyl B1 and methyl B12 with glucosamine and omega 3.

I believe ALA, methyl B1 and methyl B12 are working best for me (usual caveats apply)

But I do think you need to be in control of your FBG levels too.

Before taking any actions I suggest you take a look at "help in dealing with Neuropathy" and take the time to read through some of the papers Winnie has referenced there.

They are a bit heavy going, but they made sense to me... At which point I probably need to come clean and say I do have a scientific background in operations managements, chemical industry, and am used to reading such things. Some may find it more difficult I'm afraid.

Cheers

Tim.

M

mojo37

5.1 this am ...that's been a week of number 5's big smile ...got my HbA1c this month ...didn't go to my last one :oops:

Reactions: 9 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well I certainly had my eyes opened yesterday - I visit my mum every Sunday and yesterday was the first time I tested after every meal. Eek! I think the menu needs to be adjusted, I got 12.8 after lunch and even after a half hour walk home I got 12.0 after dinner =-O

Reactions: 5 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
7.4 plus a stressful morning hence tested at 9.30am before breakfast instead of 7.30am. I'm always last to get sorted in our house. Well I remembered to take tablets at 7.30am but then got distracted by kids and househusband. Hum..

Reactions: 5 people