Fasting For Type 2's

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I haven't paid all that close attention except what I've read in passing, @AloeSvea - I too am not of reproductive age and being a selfish cow, only really pay attention to stuff that affects me directly unless it comes up as I amble around the web :)

:). Understood entirely!

But having read and gotten a lot out of so many of your posts I would never call you a selfish cow!

Reactions: 2 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
On fasting, for myself, I see it as an important treatment tool that T2 diabetics have at their disposal. Which is apparently how it was used before metformin and so on came in on the scene.

I experience hunger too keenly to be a happy Intermittent Fast-er, so I personally go for the periodic short-ish (4-5 days) and sharp Dr Fuhrman's water fast as my glycogen depleting/liver and pancreas rebooting etc fasting method of choice. My reasoning is - keep the misery in a manageable block of time! And not try to live a normal (unhungry) life at that time.

Reference: Fasting and eating for health: A medical doctor’s program for conquering disease by Joel Fuhrman MD

I have done it twice, once successfully, in terms of what I wanted to gain from it - which was as much psychological as physical (get myself used to dealing with hunger in prep for a low calorie diet period), the physical benefits being obvious for we diabetics, in terms of temporarily halting, and depleting the stream of blood glucose we deal with, for a restive period of time, depleting glycogen stores in the liver etc. I was pleased with both of those aspects of it.

The second time was at the end of the low calorie diet, and I was scared shitless (I choose that word carefully!), by the low BG levels, and the - shitlessness. So I stopped it on day 2 or 3 I can't remember now. But I ought not to have been scared by the low BG levels, I know that now. My inexperience showing. (I was under medical supervision, but in the country I currently live in it can take 1-2 months to get an appointment and no avenue for outside of an appointment communication with either your doctor or the diabetes nurse. Yeah - makes 'medical supervision' a bit of a joke - but 'oh well'.) And re the unfortunate constipation - I wasn't drinking enough liquid obviously. (Always really really important, as all fasting lit points out.) Next time I will probably take a fibre supplement, just to be on the safe side. But yes, I fully intend there to be a next time.

I don't know the time frame that is best for me, in my T2D treatment, as I am really just winging it! But I feel that some time soon is called for. (7-9 months since fast one and fast two.)

twestdy

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
A blood glucose test measures the amount of a type of sugar, called glucose, in your blood.It's often easy to fall into the trap of thinking you're at fault for out of range blood sugars.All kinds of factors that effect blood glucose.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love reading these too, but I'm glad of UK patient confidentiality.
Particularly if it had been my history being spread over the internet for all to see.
One assumes the doctor was wise enough to get written permission from the patient before putting his story out there.

If the patient doesn't mind, why should you?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One assumes the doctor was wise enough to get written permission from the patient before putting his story out there.

If the patient doesn't mind, why should you?

One assumes he has, otherwise it's a bit off really.
I don't mind, one likes a good Jeremy Kyle spot.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
21ezrph_th.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One assumes he has, otherwise it's a bit off really.
I don't mind, one likes a good Jeremy Kyle spot.
I agree, But he probably asked before he used. I think most doctors would. I think it is good though, so that we get some real life stories.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr Fung's book The Obesity Code will be out in March 2016 and can be preordered via a rainforest ;)

tuatara

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had diabetes for about 8 years. Mostly diet controlled. IF, eating in an 8 hour window, is the only thing that has worked for me in the sense that blood sugars are now in the 4s and 5s rather than 6,7 and 8s. Have been doing this for 3 months now. I think I will always IF. Feel so much more energetic an no longer afaid of fasting and working or exercising at the same time. I have meals, not always low carb, betwen 1pm and 8pm. Lunch is usually nuts, prunes eggs etc but at dinner anything goes and I dont spike.

Reactions: 4 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thank you for posting the link. It was after reading his blog and watching his Youtube lectures that I used fasting to bring down my extremely high bg levels to being in the 4s and 5s that I am now. I work shifts and only get one weekend off a month but in other weeks I get two weekdays off together so I still like to fast for the first one of those days.

I just don't see what the argument against it can be so long as the person doing it is sensible and tests frequently. When I do it I test at hourly intervals and my bg goes down VERY slowly throughout the 24 hours until its about 1.5 less than it was when I started. So maybe 5.5 down to 4. If I drop below 4 I break my fast but that has only happened once.

As said above, it seems to give me loads of energy - fasting day is definitely my housework and gardening day - and I seem to be able to concentrate more on reading or studying.

Reactions: 8 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused @Indy51 .On this stage of his fasting talks (https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/why-caloric-reduction-doesnt-work/) he talks about the damage going low calorie does to the body and yet surely fasting is just that ! He states that if we take our calories down to 2000 from 3000 the body compensates by adjusting the energy output so we lose nothing .This seems to contradict his thoughts on fasting ???

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm confused @Indy51 .On this stage of his fasting talks (https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/why-caloric-reduction-doesnt-work/) he talks about the damage going low calorie does to the body and yet surely fasting is just that ! He states that if we take our calories down to 2000 from 3000 the body compensates by adjusting the energy output so we lose nothing .This seems to contradict his thoughts on fasting ???
I'd suggest you keep reading. I'm also not sure that he's 100% right about the low calorie stuff as there appears to be conflicting research on it. This week on our TV program Catalyst they were discussing a study comparing very low calorie to calorie reduced diets and at least in the short term they weren't finding the predicted "starvation" response. Other research worth looking into is Prof Taylor's Newcastle Diet protocol. I guess it's a case of deciding which would work better for you. Intermittent fasting works great for me, but doesn't work well for everyone. Personally I could never face the idea of meal replacement shakes, but they work great for others.

http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Having now read most of his lectures and watched the videos I understand @Indy51 .I think he's bang on the money and can't believe that with all the studies supporting his theories that this isn't better publicised .The one thing that worries me slightly is that all his test cases had relatively well managed bg's to start with so I guess i'll be the guinea pig for how well this works with someones bg's as high as mine .Watch this space :D