Sugars going high in morning

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi over the last few days my morning bs has been around 11 where it's normally 5-6? I've no changed anything at all in what I do or eat. Eat lchf but feeling a bit run down, so I suppose it could be that? Also I checked my Ketones today and the result was 0.2 which considering I only eat 30 - 40g of carbs a day isn't very good. Any advice please

Cheers

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Illness can affect your glucose - what have your other levels been like?

How are you checking your ketones? I know when I was using the Ketostix my readings got lower (and finally no longer registered) the further I was into ketosis - I was using them all and no longer wee-ing away any waste ones. Mine tend to stay fairly steady over time for the most part, but sometimes go up and down from high to low, depending on whether it's morning or bedtime, and (presumably!) on how much fat I've eaten and burned, and as far as I know this is quite normal.

Robbity

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling tired and run down can be a sign of a so-called silent infection, such as a UTI or a tooth infection (on a root canal or an otherwise dead tooth, or you'd feel it!), and infections raise BG. In your shoes I'd see a GP a.s.a.p. - if it's an infection it needs to be treated quickly, and if not I'd want to know why the BG suddenly shot up. Hope everything's back to normal soon!

Reactions: 4 people

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies. Robbity, I check Ketones using a Freestyle Optium meter and blood B ketone test strips. I guess this is suitable? Just checked again and it's 0.2 so don't even know if I'm in ketosis now? Is there any other way of checking, do I need to lower carb intake even more?
Bs this morning were 9.5 even tho they were 7.5 when I went to bed at 10.15pm. Pretty sure my sugars didn't drop last night. Do I adjust my basal rate or wait a few days to see if it goes back to normal? Loads of questions, sorry!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for the replies. Robbity, I check Ketones using a Freestyle Optium meter and blood B ketone test strips. I guess this is suitable? Just checked again and it's 0.2 so don't even know if I'm in ketosis now? Is there any other way of checking, do I need to lower carb intake even more?
Bs this morning were 9.5 even tho they were 7.5 when I went to bed at 10.15pm. Pretty sure my sugars didn't drop last night. Do I adjust my basal rate or wait a few days to see if it goes back to normal? Loads of questions, sorry!
Are you a T1 or T2?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
And on a pump

I don't follow a LCHF diet, however if your fasting bg levels are high then you need to tweak your basal rates, do a few bg tests through the night to see when your bg levels start to rise.

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I'm going to have to adjust them even tho I don't really want to as my sugars were coming out spot on throughout the day for the last few months

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think I'm going to have to adjust them even tho I don't really want to as my sugars were coming out spot on throughout the day for the last few months

But that's the whole idea of a insulin pump, you can set multiple basal rates to match your bodies needs throughout a 24 hour period.

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is true. Just gets annoying when nothing changes in what I'm doing but bs results do

Mairead15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mairead15 has started a thread of their own asking for advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Type 1 for 9 months and having high levels upon waking. I think I maybe having low levels overnight as symptoms match. Diabetes team telling me to increase basal dose but concerned this will make things worse.
Anyone got some advice ? I intend to test at 3am to see if this clarifies what is happening.

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exactly what used to happen to me a few years ago. The only way to know what's occurring at night is to set your alarm for every hour and check blood sugar. This way you can see if your basal rate is correct. I found my basal was too high around 3am so sent my sugars low whilst asleep therefore being high when I woke around 7am. Hope this helps