Food Confusion

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
My Girlfriend and I are confused about exactly what kind of rice she can cook for me and what type of bread is suitable to eat, obviously in small amounts. So much of what we are being told is either confusing or conflicting. Also what kind of cereal is acceptable?

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and saw the nurse today which was no help what so ever as the booklets and information she gave were hard to believe. An example being, the doctor has prescribed metformin 500mg twice daily. In one sentence she told me to cut it down to 500mg once daily to stop the upset stomach side effect. In the next breath, she was telling me I should only eat green bananas as ripe bananas continue large amounts of natural sugars. As far as I'm aware eating green bananas will cause an upset stomach.

I've decided to go on a low carbs diet but have no idea on potion sizes etc. We seem to be drowning in conflicting information so any help would be appreciated.

Good morning RYU... Check out the threads on this site, there is one for newbies.... 'Low Carb Recipes' and 'What Did You Eat Today' and 'What Was Your BG This Morning'... or words to that effect... A lot of the people on DBUK low-carb-high-fat and have stopped all medication... I never took it in the first place and a year later my blood glucose is tightly controlled still... You know that rice turns to sugar when you eat it? As do potatoes, anything made with flour, etc? Sorry if you've already been deluged with advice and tips :) I don't have time to read everything this morning... good luck... Susi

maryphill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Girlfriend and I are confused about exactly what kind of rice she can cook for me and what type of bread is suitable to eat, obviously in small amounts. So much of what we are being told is either confusing or conflicting. Also what kind of cereal is acceptable?

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and saw the nurse today which was no help what so ever as the booklets and information she gave were hard to believe. An example being, the doctor has prescribed metformin 500mg twice daily. In one sentence she told me to cut it down to 500mg once daily to stop the upset stomach side effect. In the next breath, she was telling me I should only eat green bananas as ripe bananas continue large amounts of natural sugars. As far as I'm aware eating green bananas will cause an upset stomach.

I've decided to go on a low carbs diet but have no idea on potion sizes etc. We seem to be drowning in conflicting information so any help would be appreciated.
Hi RYU, you are so blessed to have a girlfriend that is so keen to work at keeping you well. :) I am T2, diet controlled and I use riced cauliflower instead of rice and spiralised courgettes instead of spaghetti and sweet potato or celeriac instead of potato. Usually I find these as tasty as what they are replacing. I also found the info from the diabetic nurse limited and not very helpful. My diabetes control developed over time and through reading up on different options to find what worked best for me. Your girlfriends support is the greatest asset you have. M

goose64

I can handle 3 tablespoons of brown rice as long as it's been precooked & cooled then reheated and the same with a small portion f wholemeal pasta given the same treatment . You will probably get some recommendations for Lidl high protein rolls - personally I thought they were horrid & would rather go without bread - but other seem to like them

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Authority Nutrition, they have a page '15 bread recipes that are low carb and gluten free'
That looks interesting. I see they recommend Ezekiel 4:9 bread, named after a verse in the bible. I got sidetracked by that in US supermarkets earlier this year. Wacky or what? :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
That looks interesting. I see they recommend Ezekiel 4:9 bread, named after a verse in the bible. I got sidetracked by that in US supermarkets earlier this year. Wacky or what? :)
Yeah I've heard from American friends that that bread tastes awful, lol. It's amazing how much money there is to be made by associating your product with the Bible in 'Murica ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Tands3

There is actually a really nice almond and flaxmeal bread recipe on the net which is very low carb per slice and it tastes a lot like the exspensive bergen bread we get here. and you just bake it in a normal loaf.tin. When.I googled low carb bread the best site I found was Authority Nutrition, they have a page '15 bread recipes that are low carb and gluten free'. I have tried quite a few of the recipes on this particular webpage. Just remember when she does make you some low carb bread it can be an acquired taste but you do get used to it.
Hi I wonder if you could add the link for the almond and flaxseed bread please....would love to give it a try.....

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will swap to the computer and give posting a link a go, hopefully it works.