help with skin reaction please

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
16 units were left stopped at 12 units then 6 again now zero had stopped for 2 hrs again at 10pm still 2.5 have had some orange juice. Will test again now , pump keeps bleeping possibly just to remind me it's off?
Just re tested still 2.4 have to eat some more jelly babies dare not start pump again until normal Bg

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't seem able to write message ask question without connecting to conversation sorry to involve you being new on pump don't worry will not sleep until Bg normal.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i believe it does do that -- are you ok in yourself >?
do you need me to stay up with you till you think you're safe ?
do you want my phone number just in case-- just want you to be safe and well

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now 3.2 had 6 jelly babies pump says 0 units left. Going to bed now don't worry my hubby will be with me if probes during night . Will check again in 1 hr and start Basel if ok. Thanks and sorry to worry you. I'll be ok. X

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
ok thanks for the update

iHs

TE="himtoo, post: 964427, member: 142835"]respect sir -- i know the drill -- we hand it out often enough-- have been setting alarms and testing thru the night a couple of times already[/QUOTE]
Dont make yourself worn out with hardly any sleep, won't hurt that much to leave bg higher for a few hrs and get some Szzzzzzzzz rather than keep bg testing all night

iHs

16 units were left stopped at 12 units then 6 again now zero had stopped for 2 hrs again at 10pm still 2.5 have had some orange juice. Will test again now , pump keeps bleeping possibly just to remind me it's off?

Hi

Hope you are ok. You will probably find that because you stopped the pump because of too much insulin being active, the basal will be active from the previous hours and also the bolus but as it takes about 2hrs for adjustments to have an effect, what will happen is that the loss of basil will make bg go up a lot higher about 2-3am so you might need a correction to make up for the basil loss. Pumps at times are complicated.....

Reactions: 2 people

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
TE="himtoo, post: 964427, member: 142835"]respect sir -- i know the drill -- we hand it out often enough-- have been setting alarms and testing thru the night a couple of times already
Dont make yourself worn out with hardly any sleep, won't hurt that much to leave bg higher for a few hrs and get some Szzzzzzzzz rather than keep bg testing all night[/QUOTE]

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At midnight 4.4 happy with that restarted pump , 7am 19.2 ! Didn't read see comment posted at 1am but you were right I should have done adjustment.was feeling fed up eating lots of junk drinking juice,to stave off hypos. For 6 hours. Thanks for advice.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there no way of overriding insulin on Omnipod , thinking that makes it dangerous . However will ensure I stop worrying about feeding family and take time to calculate and check before giving Hugh dose ( over 20) as pod advised. I had also forgot re recent increase in ratio at that time. My fault entirely.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is there no way of overriding insulin on Omnipod , thinking that makes it dangerous . However will ensure I stop worrying about feeding family and take time to calculate and check before giving Hugh dose ( over 20) as pod advised. I had also forgot re recent increase in ratio at that time. My fault entirely.

If you suspend the dose then that stops the insulin delivery completely, it says on the screen how much insulin was delivered and how much of the dose was remaining.

Regards to your 20 units, when I first started on the pump I was told that anything over 6 units would needed to be extended, so you would use a dual-wave bolus and deliver 6 units immediately and extend the rest of the dose over 30-60 mins, don't know if you were told the same @Heathero.

iHs

@Heathero

Glad ur ok even with a higher bg this morning. It takes time, patience and loads of mistakes along the way using this way, that way, until we get to grips using a pump ok. I've made the same mistake as you, so don't feel bad. You have to learn from mistakes so that you dont make them again (with any luck that is) lol.

Next time, detach for no more than 1hr and eat something sugary if bg is low and then if loads of insulin is still active, eat something carby to use up the insulin. I once did a prime of the tube and forgot to unclip from the set so had about 20u go into me and had to work out the amount of carb I needed to eat to use it up. It was nice to sit down with a bowl of tinned rice pudding but still lol

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you suspend the dose then that stops the insulin delivery completely, it says on the screen how much insulin was delivered and how much of the dose was remaining.

Regards to your 20 units, when I first started on the pump I was told that anything over 6 units would needed to be extended, so you would use a dual-wave bolus and deliver 6 units immediately and extend the rest of the dose over 30-60 mins, don't know if you were told the same @Heathero.
Noblehead
No not given that advice very little in fact have just insisted that I do some checks re Basel as no information given re this yet! Have appointment Monday. I think info re carbs on packet re rice 60grams and chillie sauce not correct , also had with Apple stewed and tablespoon of crumble mix, home made no sugar added added to 85carbs. Went low within an hour of dinner fighting hypo for 7 hours! Bad experience. Largest dose ,meal I've eaten since pump 24th August.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Heathero

Glad ur ok even with a higher bg this morning. It takes time, patience and loads of mistakes along the way using this way, that way, until we get to grips using a pump ok. I've made the same mistake as you, so don't feel bad. You have to learn from mistakes so that you dont make them again (with any luck that is) lol.

Next time, detach for no more than 1hr and eat something sugary if bg is low and then if loads of insulin is still active, eat something carby to use up the insulin. I once did a prime of the tube and forgot to unclip from the set so had about 20u go into me and had to work out the amount of carb I needed to eat to use it up. It was nice to sit down with a bowl of tinned rice pudding but still lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hopefully they'll be more advice to follow @Heathero from your pump team, when you've been on the Omnipod pump for a few months you should get a invite to attend a training session with the pump rep, they go through all the bolusing options on the pump and show you how to get the best from using each one.

Don't beat yourself up about last night, we all make mistakes and it's a great big learning curve, I'm pleased that you came to no harm and were able to deal with things yourself.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
IHS

Did stop for 1ht twice then four hours, can't detach and stop insulin as Omnipod ,therefore all went in every time I reset suspend l believe until it said 0 left. Will try carbs if happens again,stuck to jelly babies and juice. As not hungry,. It may be best to remove pod however replacing it would then continue programmed dose I think. Thanks for your advice

iHs

Don't replace pod unless it's damaged. Just cancel out the insulin to be delivered if using a wave if bg is going very low and eat some jellybabies initially to get bg up a bit but also consider something carby to eat if bg carries on dropping Jellybabies only work for about 1.5hrs after swallowing so won't work that well if the previous injected insulin is still working and will need you to eat more jellybabies if you don't eat any carb.
Sometimes eating some carb and doing a reduced tbr to cover the following 2hrs can help to use up active insulin but it's trial and error along the way and you learn as you go along.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't replace pod unless it's damaged. Just cancel out the insulin to be delivered if using a wave if bg is going very low and eat some jellybabies initially to get bg up a bit but also consider something carby to eat if bg carries on dropping Jellybabies only work for about 1.5hrs after swallowing so won't work that well if the previous injected insulin is still working and will need you to eat more jellybabies if you don't eat any carb.
Sometimes eating some carb and doing a reduced tbr to cover the following 2hrs can help to use up active insulin but it's trial and error along the way and you learn as you go along.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is no way to cancel insulin on board unfortunately . That's why low lasted over 6 hours. Thanks for your advice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There is no way to cancel insulin on board unfortunately . That's why low lasted over 6 hours. Thanks for your advice.

It's the same with any insulin delivery device, if the insulin has been administered there's not much you can do about IOB apart from eat carby food to match it.

Pleased your fine today.