Has anybody tried Moringa Olifera (Drumstick tree) leaf powder to lower blood sugar

jason John

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Im not sure how long Ive been suffering with diabetes, it could be for many years Im not sure, I only discovered this last year after a visit to the dentist. My doctor put me on metformin 500, I however did some research on the net for an alternative natural treatment and stumbled upon Moringa Olifera. I have tried taking Moringa and found it to reduce my blood sugar levels rapidly, Im hypoglycmic and this is a problem. Has anybody heard of or tried Moringa Olifera leaf powder and what are the recomended dosages.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi, Im not sure how long Ive been suffering with diabetes, it could be for many years Im not sure, I only discovered this last year after a visit to the dentist. My doctor put me on metformin 500, I however did some research on the net for an alternative natural treatment and stumbled upon Moringa Olifera. I have tried taking Moringa and found it to reduce my blood sugar levels rapidly, Im hypoglycmic and this is a problem. Has anybody heard of or tried Moringa Olifera leaf powder and what are the recomended dosages.
Hi and welcome to the forum. It might not be necessary to take herbal products or medications, if you can reduce your blood glucose (BG) levels through making changes to what you are eating. We can give you info about this if you are interested.

Herbal products can have side effects and risks just like approved drugs. Usually there is little, if any, research evidence that they work and are safe. This website has some info on recommended dosages and advises against exceeding them because of toxicity:
http://examine.com/supplements/Moringa+oleifera/

There's only two studies cited above and they appear to be rodent studies, not human trials. So you'd be using something that has never been studied in humans, and which may act differently in humans than rodents. Also, the studies showed only mild effects on blood glucose.

A safer option may well be reducing the amount of carbohydrates you are eating.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As Squire says, I don't understand your hypoglycaemic comment as that implies very LOW blood sugar; did you mean hypER? A low-carb diet is the best way to reduce blood sugar and Metformin will help a bit if you have excess weight. I've read many posts over the years for natural diabetes remedies and seen no evidence that any have any measurable effect and some have serious side effects. Whatever you do look for the factual evidence and look for the side effects. The best natural remedy for T2 is the right diet.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

More to the point. Who is your dentist? I'll steer clear of the surgery.! ;)

jason John

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dentist insisted I go to my GP to have my blood work done after he found 3 of my teeth had become loose and that I was losing bone density in my gums. My GP went into a tis when my blood work came back and it indicated that my blood sugar over the last 3 mnt period was ave. over 12.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

jason John

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sugar levels can suddenly drop to about 2/3 or can go up to about 13. I find that by reducing my metformin dose by half my sugar level does not drop so fast and if my sugar levels goes up I compliment with a small amount of moringa leaf powder to lower my sugar, it seems to work for me.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My sugar levels can suddenly drop to about 2/3 or can go up to about 13. I find that by reducing my metformin dose by half my sugar level does not drop so fast and if my sugar levels goes up I compliment with a small amount of moringa leaf powder to lower my sugar, it seems to work for me.

What sort of foods do you eat in a typical day?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There have been studies done on the use of Indian herbs and herbal remedies in treating diabetes,

This one published in Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition which can be accessed via the US National Library of Medicine.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2275761/

Another from 2005 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16202376

I didn't do an in-depth search though, there are probably more.

I have not seen Moringa on sale in UK myself but have seen it on French websites.

Last edited by a moderator:

jason John

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low fat milk, brown sugar, high GI brown bread,lots of veggies, lean meats, not to much fruit or juice, lots of water, coke zero, steer completely away from junk food, if I do indulge I compliment with a bit a moringa powder to stabilize my sugar.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using DCUK Forum mobile app

D

Deleted member 308541

,also Snake Guard from india be VERY careful ok read on it its another cure/Fix and can get it underground in the usa pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know or they will drown lol poor idiots lets weep for them! write to me if you want ok!
Sounds suspect, sounds illegal...