Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Cycled up to the allotment and back (20 min round trip) yesterday pathetically puffing and wondering if my knees were going to disintegrate. No real exertion on the veg plot. And nothing again today since tied up with admin & visiting (by car) :sorry:

Don't apologise , the success is that you are at least thinking about it .

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still crocked, but moving to the physio beat. Been sunny enough to wander round the garden obstacle course, ie, the furniture for bench presses and holding on for leg swinging.
Hope to get out tomorrow. Bet it rains.

Reactions: 6 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody :)
I've just got caught up with the thread. Everyone has been very busy.
I was in Wales last week with no wifi. My exercise was walking and looking.
I've just been swimming today. Swam for 30 minutes. It isn't a deep pool and the water was very low today. It made swimming more strenuous than usual. :)

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done everybody. I've been backsliding (metaphorical, not a sport). All I did today was walk down to the beach, sit and drink coffee with Mrs DeeJay, and walk back.
My exercise was walking and looking.
Yes, that's me, without the proper walking bit.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still too crocked to get out, but have kept up with the physio, with a bit of Pilates for variation.
Walking round the garden between showers. Thanks to @Jamrox and all who participate in these activity threads, I no longer find it possible to lounge about feeling sorry for myself when ill. Gotta keep moving.

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp . You are doing brilliantly keeping up with the physio! Excellent. :). I think my exercise tomorrow might be housework but I just might get to swimming again.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This last week or so confined to barracks has been a bit tough. Thankfully the October autumn weather has been sunny and warm, so have been able to make use of the garden, and the furniture out there to keep moving. A bit adventurous today, so a walk the 100 yards or so to my son's house, and a change of garden. Picked the last of the apple crop from the branches I could reach, and collected those that had already fallen to the ground.
A pleasnt way to spend the afternoon.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp . You are doing brilliantly keeping up with the physio! Excellent. :). I think my exercise tomorrow might be housework but I just might get to swimming again.
Keep swimming @mo53.
Ideal exercise in winter if the pool is warm.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Pipp . Exercise and fruit! Great combination! I only managed walking while shopping today. :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Pipp . Exercise and fruit! Great combination! I only managed walking while shopping today. :)
Not sure that I will eat the apples myself, but more activity in peeling and preparing them for others.

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I exercise because I love my body. Not because I hate it!
This bit in your signature is very significant I think and reinforces your positive attitude. Your exercise may be proscribed by your condition but you appreciate and enjoy everything you do. This means living in the moment, or mindfulness, which is a topic on the forum at the moment. It can be very rewarding and I do think you deserve those peaceful moments.
Hope that's not patronising, it's just meant to be a remark from a fellow traveller.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This bit in your signature is very significant I think and reinforces your positive attitude. Your exercise may be proscribed by your condition but you appreciate and enjoy everything you do. This means living in the moment, or mindfulness, which is a topic on the forum at the moment. It can be very rewarding and I do think you deserve those peaceful moments.
Hope that's not patronising, it's just meant to be a remark from a fellow traveller.
Thank you @DeejayR .
I don't have a halo, and do get grumpy when I am not able to do the sort of things I used to be able to due to my disabling health conditions. It was indeed mindfulness meditation that made me have a paradigm shift. I hear people in the sport centres and swimming pool who talk of exercising because they don't like their chunky legs or beer belly, or that they want to look good for holiday or Christmas. I used to think like that too, but realistically there is no 'perfect' body. Functionality is good enough, and this old body is the only one I got, so trying to look after it so it will look after me. Exercise, particularly in water, makes me feel well. Endorphins I guess.
These threads that @Jamrox starts up have been amazingly helpful. I find they have helped me get into the habit of not sitting still for too long. Even if not actually doing exercise or sport, just moving about more is beneficial. Some days that is just sitting and foot tapping or arm lifting for a while. I have turned into a proper fidget. I did try to claim on an earlier jamrox thread that knitting was exercise, but that was poo pooed by some. Knitting is an aid to mindful meditation sometimes though.

Today I have been to the oldies gym. Did an hour circuit of the machines. I guess that is more likely to be deemed exercise than activity? As it is a glorious sunny afternoon I am going to potter around the garden, and spend some time in mindful meditation. With or without knitting needles.:D

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Aw @Pipp I get loads of help from everyone . I move more and keep it up because it makes me feel better , I have lost weight but to be honest I don't think I look any different.
I'm scared of having to go on medication and if being more active stops medication then I'm all for it.
I think starting medication to treat diabetes instead of diet and activity is a whole different ball game.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately, medication and inevitability of progression of T2 is all that some patients are advised on diagnosis. Those who know differently, such as we do are the lucky ones, and should promote the alternative. Just as Jamrox does.

Lazyish day for me today. Activity will be some cleaning. Might do it to music.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got off my posterior yesterday and walked to the allotment and stripped the tomato stems and frame out of the greenhouse, dug over the bed and planted the geraniums for the winter in there, still in their pots. I may take cuttings later.
I was walking back down the allotment when I was roped in to help move paving slabs and a cold frame. The plot is worked by a woman with severe mobility problems. She gets around on sticks up there but normally she uses her converted estate car with a crane in the back to hoist her wheelchair in and out. It's very ingenious and she's very determined. All her soil beds are raised.
I got a nice big lollo rosso lettuce for that, plus the extra exercise qualified me for a bath with berries and cream :happy:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I will have had rather a lot to eat today, I'd better record that I walked to the further supermarket (Tesco) for quite a lot of stuff and walked back (30 mins round trip) and then went up and down 2 flights of stairs at home 15 times, breaking into a trot on the up steps in the middle 5. I offered to help a neighbour stack logs but was refused so does that count? I thought not :(
PS Tesco gets today's prize for barmy product placement by putting the olives on the bottom shelf of the baked bean section.

Reactions: 7 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I have to admit to having a hangover thanks to a gluttony of prosecco yesterday lol.
Fighting hard not to eat the munchies that I need , yes need lol.
Roast pork is in the oven and smells so good and I'll have lots of lovely veg instead of the Big Mac that I really want lol.
I've walked around the shops in my local high street today , it is a sad looking street at the moment, looks like even the charity shops are closing down.
I'm going to Inverness on Tuesday and looking forward to long walks.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi ,all, still doing my usual 10 miles on the exercise bike,1/2 hr of weights and 50 situps, lost another 5 lbs this last 4 weeks,plus washing my minicoach 17 seater most mornings helps, keep up the good work no slacking cause it's autumn

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ,all, still doing my usual 10 miles on the exercise bike,1/2 hr of weights and 50 situps, lost another 5 lbs this last 4 weeks,plus washing my minicoach 17 seater most mornings helps, keep up the good work no slacking cause it's autumn
I have to have a rest now after reading that. Well done.

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody. I can only claim an hours weeding. Everyone seems to be working very hard and are far more active than me. I must do better this week. :)