How much basal is normal?

nellycont

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, my daughter 17 years, 163cms 60 kgrs, T1 for 7 years, takes daily (one injection) 27 units of Treshiba (degludec) for basal (plus 15-25 units of Novorapid aspart or actrapid for boluses). I was wondering if this amount of basal is normal.. I have no idea how much of insuline other young people usually take..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Everyone's basal needs vary, as your daughter is a teenager with raging hormones I'd expect her insulin needs would be higher than someone who is middle aged like myself.

Reactions: 8 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya, as Noble has said they vary from person to person, depending on size, metabolism, age, sex etc, there isn't a norm for taking insulin.

I am 43 and take 18 units of Tresiba a day, but this goes up around my period to 23 units as I'm more insulin resistant then.

As long as her control is good then this is the most important point to focus on ;)

Reactions: 6 people

ariforni22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends on the person, I started at 20 u. of basal and now I'm in 38 u. but I've reach 50 u. so don't worry, I'm her same age and I'm constantly changing the units!!

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm on novorapid and levemir (levemir is my basal) i take 11 u of levemir in the morning and 6 at night. that being said i am very petite (5'0 and 99lbs) i'm 19 x

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
as has been stated already, I,m only on 11/12 units of Tresiba but that is all I need at the moment anyway

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, it really depends. My basal TDD is roughly 20u of Levemir split into morning of 14 and evening of 6. I'm 92kg and 6'4...

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am 66kg and 165cm tall and take 14 or 15 units a day as basal. But I am much older than your daughter. I believe it is fairly normal for adolescents to need highish basal rates. If you think her insulin intake is too high, there are two questions: is she having many hypos, so she has to "feed the insulin"? Is she becoming plump or overweight? If either of those things are happening, you should talk to her DN about whether her insulin regime suits her.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I take only a very small amount of slow-acting insulin - primarily because I want to ensure that I have as liitle insulin as possible (only what's needed) in my system when I go to bed at night. And I eat accordingly, of course.

That's so simple, and it's so easy to arrange.

However I believe I'm very much an exception.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, my daughter 17 years, 163cms 60 kgrs, T1 for 7 years, takes daily (one injection) 27 units of Treshiba (degludec) for basal (plus 15-25 units of Novorapid aspart or actrapid for boluses). I was wondering if this amount of basal is normal.. I have no idea how much of insuline other young people usually take..

The amount your daughter takes will be "normal" for her if she is currently having no major issues with diabetes managment..

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
method of delivery makes a difference as well. Mine dropped by about 50% when going onto a pump. You also need to account for carbs in diet, low carb will be lower insulin, exercise, hormones as pointed out.

I'm on around 3.8U novorapid as basal and 3-4 U bolus, and that's just as "normal" as anyone else here

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone's basal needs vary, as your daughter is a teenager with raging hormones I'd expect her insulin needs would be higher than someone who is middle aged like myself.

Indeed! Hence the reason I'm very reserved about posting the amount of basal I dose on a thead with a topic like this.

I was once told a while back by an insulin dependant T2 that my basal was high..For him with his beta cells still working to a degree & on metformin too. possibly yes.?
We are not all clones living in a "controlled" environment.. ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 18 and Pre-pump I was on 16 units of Levemir but on the pump my basal is now 12.7 units.

Dessi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm not young. ;) 172cm, 69kg and I take 13 units of Tresiba every morning.

exrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 189cm 89kg 29 years old, been fit all my life (veteran), I inject 72units of lantus in the morning and take 15 - 40 units of novarapid depending on food.