Bread or no bread

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
When I was first diagnosed I soon found out that white bread would always push my bg levels up unacceptably high but I found that I could still eat a sandwich using Burgen Soya & Linseed bread which can be found in all supermarkets.

As my condition became under better control I have found I can eat some other wholegrain and multiseeded breads but I still cant eat white or wholemeal breads which both have an equally bad effect on my bg levels. I now find Sainsbury's Mutiseeded loafs are OK for me to eat but I only eat 2 slices a day if I have a sandwich for my lunch.

The best advice is to test your bg levels and then eat a sandwich and then test your levels again 2 hours later and you should see your levels returning to the pre meal levels if they are more than 2 mmol/L higher then either try another bread or a smaller sandwich the next time you test.

Only frequent testing can tell you what you can eat and in what portion sizes you need to eat it in when it comes to bread and other starchy carbs, and then as your levels come down and your overall control increases you should find you are able to increase the carbs in your diet again but only testing can tell you this :)

Reactions: 4 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy bread which is my downfall is their an alternative or just cut out bread completely.

Thanks

Have you tried the Lidl's High Protein rolls? They're low carb, big and very filling. I can only eat half of one. They're in the "fresh baked" section of Lidl's (if you have one nearby) and they're brown triangular shape. Lots of people on here have found them a life-saver when craving bread.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is what I have is Bergen bread which is between 9 and 11 carbs per slice. A soya and linseed bread, delicious when toasted.
You can get it at a lot of supermarkets, co-op, Iceland, usually£1.60 a loaf or you can get it two for £2. Iceland is £1.
But I only have a slice (or two) every day,!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that most of the seeded breads are OK or Lidl's high protein rolls.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I would suggest you try cutting bread and other cereals out completely then try introducing them monitoring the effects as we all seem to have very varied reactions to grain products.

goose64

I used to love bread but not the horrible plasticky stuff . Then tesco stopped selling their proper granary & instead make a disgusting seeded one so I went cold turkey & tbh no longer miss it . DH bought me a loaf of rye from waitrose which is dense so it can be sliced wafer thin and the loaf is tiny so I've been treating myself to one slice (about half the depth of thin cut) with my lunch.

Beware of the Lidl high protein rolls they are foul, I found them to be very chewy & a bit like sliced white in texture

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to love bread but not the horrible plasticky stuff . Then tesco stopped selling their proper granary & instead make a disgusting seeded one so I went cold turkey & tbh no longer miss it . DH bought me a loaf of rye from waitrose which is dense so it can be sliced wafer thin and the loaf is tiny so I've been treating myself to one slice (about half the depth of thin cut) with my lunch.

Beware of the Lidl high protein rolls they are foul, I found them to be very chewy & a bit like sliced white in texture

I don't think you can make a sweeping statement that they are "foul" because they are not to your taste. Many people on here find them a good substitute for high carb bread and enjoy them.

Reactions: 6 people

oldsurveyor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut back for years then I cut it out completely because I got tired of passing out in restiraunts
I have an occasional sandwich now and then and suffer accordingly
As long as I have time for a two to three hour nap, I'll go ahead And enjoy some bread now and again

Edited for accuracy: I've been eating more bread in the last few days as long as I limit it I seem to be doing better.

Last edited by a moderator:

geoffh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I sometime toast half of a lidl roll with scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast. Delicious!!

Reactions: 7 people