Dexcom G5 Prices Now Revealed!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And guess what? You can only by it as a pack of one transmitter, each lasting three months, 4 sensors and a receiver, and it costs £990. Details available here. Time for a Sad Face I feel. Come on diashop.de, lets get the G5 in with the option to buy the transmitters on their own...

The transmitters cost £350 each, every three months.

http://www.advancedtherapeuticsuk.com/product/dexcom-g5®-mobile-starter-kit

G4 and xDrip is definitely the cheaper option.

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Feel a bit robbed. Only bought the G4 kit just over 4 weeks ago and it cost around £1200 for a kit with two sensors. Couldn't make it up.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
And guess what? You can only by it as a pack of one transmitter, each lasting three months, 4 sensors and a receiver, and it costs £990. Details available here. Time for a Sad Face I feel. Come on diashop.de, lets get the G5 in with the option to buy the transmitters on their own...

That's a rip off.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Couldn't agree more. Dexcom pricing stinks.
Suspect there will be quite a few beheading of transmitter sessions to try and replace the battery.

Just doesn't make sense to be expected to pay for 4 transmitter a year where as 1 did the job for the G4

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Suspect there will be quite a few beheading of transmitter sessions to try and replace the battery.

Just doesn't make sense to be expected to pay for 4 transmitter a year where as 1 did the job for the G4
No, I agree, but if Dexcom have done what I think with the G5 transmitter and based it on the G4 Slim, then getting to the batteries is going to be an evil job... I think the batteries are on the base, so the only way to get to them is through it, damaging the clip mechanism in the process. Sneaky.

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Can't help wondering if AT have made a mistake on their website. As I understand it there are 2 transmitters in a box in the USA. It's such a leap in costs I can't imagine many self funders moving from the G4.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can't help wondering if AT have made a mistake on their website. As I understand it there are 2 transmitters in a box in the USA. It's such a leap in costs I can't imagine many self funders moving from the G4.
I hope so!

Boysie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Afraid not. AT can only sell at the price according I to what dexcom sell it to them for. And it seems dexcom don't like their customers outside of the US and won't offer the same prices or upgrade options. Really poor service from them.

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't see many people going for the G5 at these prices. Alot does depend on how long the transmitters last though. If it is only 3 months then surely dexcom will review their UK pricing if there is slow take up. I've lost a bit of respect for the company though it has to be said.

iHs

Afraid not. AT can only sell at the price according I to what dexcom sell it to them for. And it seems dexcom don't like their customers outside of the US and won't offer the same prices or upgrade options. Really poor service from them.

Hmmmmm

Who told you this?.........AT or Dexcom?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If that were true, it wouldn't be possible to buy the Transmitter for the G4 from the Netherlands for €320 instead of the £325 AT charges. I'd go so far as to say that AT pricing is definitely on the "richer" side.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If that were true, it wouldn't be possible to buy the Transmitter for the G4 from the Netherlands for €320 instead of the £325 AT charges. I'd go so far as to say that AT pricing is definitely on the "richer" side.
AT have to pay import charges on goods coming in so suspect this adds to the cost. They also have the sole selling rights to dexcom in the UK except to animas customers so who knows?

My Animas rep has just been he is off to do some digging. for me regarding the G5 and it's life span.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
AT have to pay import charges on goods coming in so suspect this adds to the cost.
This is supposed to be harmonised across the EU, so shouldn't have an impact. In addition, the €320 is inclusive of VAT not exclusive of VAT like the £325.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had much luck getting a concrete answer about if the transmitter automatically shuts off at 3 months or if the battery is only rated for 3 months. I spoke with a Dexcom rep last week and he wasn't sure one way or another.

The website says "Your Dexcom G5 Mobile transmitter is covered under a limited warranty for three months, starting from the shipment date. Once you see the transmitter “Low Battery” screen, replace the transmitter as soon as possible. Your transmitter battery may drain as quickly as one week after this alert appears."

What's interesting about that statement is that they sent me two transmitters. If the warranty period starts at the shipment date, that would mean my second sensor would likely be out of warranty before I even get to use it.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The main difference is the cost and life of the Transmitter, the G4 lasted 9+ months and the G5 if its lasts 3 months will cost £700 more or just under £1k more a year.

The sensors are identical - so should last the same length of time for both and same cost.

The G5 receiver is cheaper by £200 but I'd guess there are not many who need to buy new ones.

The G5 starter kit is cheaper, which is due to the cheaper receiver.

As I do not need the remote capability I will save £1k a year and stick with the G4 for now.

Boysie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it was AT that have told me. I'm having trouble getting hold of anyone decent at dexcom to discuss. So we can purchase from the Netherlands at a cheaper rate?! I didn't know this!

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Some mullings from someone who is both a great distance away and really doesn't actually know anything first hand about Dexcom …

Has the price you pay for the G4 changed? My understanding is that while Dexcom has released the G5 they still need to sell the G4 because pumps such as the Animas Vibe can't work with anything else. So while you may want to upgrade to the G5, I don't believe you will be forced to do so, at least at the present time.

I also wonder if possibly the price is influenced by a product shortage. I have read posts from folks in the U.S. who were initially given one shipment date only to find out later that the date their G5 will arrive has been moved out. Apparently Dexcom may be having some "early days" problems balancing supply & demand for the G5. If that's the case, then perhaps the pricing will change? Maybe? Perhaps? :confused:

Boysie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guys - in my efforts to reach out to someone higher up at dexcom about these matters- would you all be willing to be cc'd into my emails to them until we get decent answers? I really think the more of us that complain and question, the easier it will be to get answers and hopefully a result.

If interested we'll need to collate all our email addresses together and then we can have a continued email discussion and see what happens...

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Count me in. I'm also happy to email seperately as well.