Blood pressure 136/80

richard077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Indian food lamb
Hi iam just wondering my blood pressure was 136/80 would this need treatment thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi iam just wondering my blood pressure was 136/80 would this need treatment thanks
According to NICE guidelines, Type 1 diabetics are supposed to have a BP that is below 130/80. Your choice would be to try and reduce it via exercise and diet or go and see you rGP who is likely to put you on an ACE inhibitor.

Reactions: 2 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Richard,
I you like salt reduce your intake to less than 3grams a day and increase your potassium but not by eating bananas.
regards
Derek

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks good to me. I was told that 120 - 140 over 80 is perfectly healthy. But then that was my healthcare team. Mine was however 170/90... o_O

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Agreed ... they're OK at least IMO

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had fast food for a week and it went up to 180/100, which is classed as high blood pressure, it did come down though, obviously I don't go as much now

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I had fast food for a week and it went up to 180/100, which is classed as high blood pressure, it did come down though, obviously I don't go as much now
In the UK the maximum threshold for T1 diabetics is 130/80 and for T2s it is 140/90 (I think). So it's important to make sure you get checked regularly so you know that you're under the relevant threshold for you. 180/100 is very high, even for non diabetics. My personal threshold is to be under 120/80.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
From Diabetes UK:

Blood pressure (hypertension)
Blood pressure is a measurement of the force of blood flow inside your arteries. Your blood pressure is stated as two figures, e.g.130/80mmHg (millimetres of mercury). The first figure is known as the systolic pressure and relates to the pressure as the heart contracts and pushes blood through the arteries. The other figure is the diastolic pressure measured when the heart relaxes to refill with blood.

• For someone without diabetes the blood pressure should be no higher than 140/85 but when you have diabetes (or if you have had a heart attack, stroke or coronary heart disease) your blood pressure should be no higher than 130/80.
  • It is important to have your blood pressure checked at least once a year as part of your annual review for diabetes. This helps to ensure that it is in the target range and not increasing your risk of developing diabetes complications.
Note:
Your healthcare team will help you to aim towards a target level of 130/80mmHg or less. High blood pressure usually has no signs or symptoms – occasionally people with very high blood pressure say they experience headaches – so the only way to know if you have high blood pressure is to have yours measured. High blood pressure can lead to heart attack, stroke or kidney failure. If your blood vessels are narrowed or clogged, extra strain is put on your heart as it has to work harder to pump blood around your body.

Causes of high blood pressure
For most people, there may be no single cause for their high blood pressure. It is not known exactly what causes it, but we do know that lifestyle can affect your risk of developing it. You are at a higher risk if:

• you are older
  • have a family history of high blood pressure
  • are of African or Caribbean origin
  • eat a lot of salt
  • are overweight
  • do not take much exercise
  • smoke
  • drink large amounts of alcohol
  • are very stressed.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/Testing/

Reactions: 2 people

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hypertension is nothing new to me, i am exposed to second-smoke every day and as I have read multiple stories about it being just as bad as smoking, I wouldn't be surprised that my blood pressure is above what it should be on a daily basis, but that one occurence where it was high was just due to unhealthy eating throughout a couple weeks; as a experiment if you will.

I also just read that NSAID drugs like ibuprofen also in the long-term increase BP, and since severe headaches are a common occurrence for me, i take about 2 boxes a week, each box containing 12 tablets each containing 342mg ibuprofen lysine, no doubt contributing to high BP.

Last edited by a moderator:

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
If you continue to use Nsaids in that fashion you will knacker your kidneys not to mention your stomach.
D.
hypertension is nothing new to me, i am exposed to second-smoke every day and as I have read multiple stories about it being just as bad as smoking, I wouldn't be surprised that my blood pressure is above what it should be on a daily basis, but that one occurence where it was high was just due to unhealthy eating throughout a couple weeks; as a experiment if you will.

I also just read that NSAID drugs like ibuprofen also in the long-term increase BP, and since severe headaches are a common occurrence for me, i take about 2 boxes a week, each box containing 12 tablets each containing 342mg ibuprofen lysine, no doubt contributing to high BP.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's too low a figure for BP, is there one?