Travel Insurance when getting no treatment

FNDodd

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently been diagnosed as Type 3c, my HbA1C is now 49, my GP tells me I will need insulin when it gets to 58. I have not been told to diet (I have problems keeping weight on) and so far no other advice. My question is what do I tell the travel insurance ( I'm going away for 3 weeks in December)?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am in the same position. Diagnosed T2 recently (HbA1c 49). Not on medication, aiming to control by diet and exercise.
I have holiday booked for January. I have Annual worldwide travel insurance taken out last February.
I haven't contacted the Insurance Company yet, I'm waiting until my next blood test results in November.

You do have to tell the Insurance Company. Failure to notify any existing conditions will invalidate your insurance, and should you need treatment you will be liable for any medical or repatriation costs yourself, which could amount to tens of thousands of pounds.

I don't know what the Insurance Company will do. They might exclude any diabetes related conditions from cover, or they might want an increased premium. Perhaps others who have been in this situation could tell us.

FNDodd

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the same position. Diagnosed T2 recently (HbA1c 49). Not on medication, aiming to control by diet and exercise.
I have holiday booked for January. I have Annual worldwide travel insurance taken out last February.
I haven't contacted the Insurance Company yet, I'm waiting until my next blood test results in November.

You do have to tell the Insurance Company. Failure to notify any existing conditions will invalidate your insurance, and should you need treatment you will be liable for any medical or repatriation costs yourself, which could amount to tens of thousands of pounds.

I don't know what the Insurance Company will do. They might exclude any diabetes related conditions from cover, or they might want an increased premium. Perhaps others who have been in this situation could tell us.
I to have annual insurance and I wondered if I had to tell them. I expect I'll have problems renewing it in January :(

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You do have to tell them. Failure to disclose an existing condition will invalidate your insurance.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You would be bonkers not to tell your insurers, or you risk a potentially denied claim should anything unexpected occur whilst on holiday. Your insurance contract is sealed as soon as you have paid your premium and the cover has begun, so they should be unable to vary their terms for this year. I say should, because without reading your specific terms I couldn't be more definitive, but I would say it would be extremely unusual if they could.

As for next year; I would say that provided you are being cared for and monitored you shouldn't have any more problems getting cover than any other diagnosed diabetic. Whilst you state you're not under treatment, I would assess that you are. You have been diagnosed, and current treatment is careful home management and monitoring to assess your medication requirements. That that assessment currently states you need no medication is just as valid as giving you medication.

When the time comes to renew, there have been several threads on the forum by people with similar concerns about their recent diagnosis, so there would probably be some value conducting a couple of forum searches to pick up some of the little gems that appear from time to time.

Good luck with it all, and enjoy your winter holiday. I find it a wonderful to to escape the cold and top up the Vitamin D, although you may be going to freeze your bits off atop some mountain somewhere!

FNDodd

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your replies. I will inform my insurance company. I'm going to top up my vitamin D :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Let us know what they say. I usually try to go on a holiday in winter. I think I need it more then when it is cold, gloomy and dark here, than in the summer.