Regular moderate exercise log

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did one of my 90 minute walks, and what was nice was it was easy today. On this one, the return journey is uphill, and I used to stop and catch my breath halfway at one time. But today it felt like walking on the flat, so I'm well chuffed. I feel I've made real progress now. So happy.

Reactions: 5 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well done on the improvement. I did a 20 min walk before dinner, on top of the exercise class. But I did go out for lunch and had some potato!

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did one of my 90 minute walks, ... I used to stop and catch my breath halfway at one time. But today it felt like walking on the flat, so I'm well chuffed. I feel I've made real progress now. So happy.

I love it when that happens!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rode the bikes into town today with my daughter to do the shopping, chilly.

Reactions: 3 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to cycle everywhere with my son, too. That's how I got him hooked on regular exercise, too ;) . As well as the immediate benefit, it has life long effects.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Two hours wandering round shops then a brisk 10mins each way to the pub!

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today my halo is seriously shining. I'm retired, and there can be days when if I don't want to, I really can stay at home all day. Today was heading into being one of those, i.e. no walking! But around 5 o'clock this afternoon I actually put on my coat and went out and walked! I think I'm still in a state of shock.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in the naughty corner. Have hardly stirred in 3 days. Bit of housework yesterday. Must do something tomorrow.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I spent yesterday morning clearing up the flood damage on my desk - air con unit burst over my papers and computer at work. Rest of the day was playing catch up at work so no brownie points for me either.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aargh! What a pain. And I'm right in the middle of tech problems here too now. An update and a sync seem to be going wrong, in the middle of which my mouse has run out of juice, and doesn't want to reconnect. I'm struggling not to snarl right now. May be time to go out for a nice long walk. Clearly it is a message from the Beyond: "Get off your lazy rear end, Ruth!"

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the naughty corner. Have hardly stirred in 3 days. Bit of housework yesterday. Must do something tomorrow.

Ruth - Do you work at home? Do you have to 'make' reasons to go out and walk, for example? That's been my major difficulty - no, ONE of my major difficulties!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent yesterday morning clearing up the flood damage on my desk - air con unit burst over my papers and computer at work. Rest of the day was playing catch up at work so no brownie points for me either.

What's interesting is that for several of us, my impression is that there's little or no concept of the evening being an appropriate time for exercise. When I got to the end of the afternoon yesterday (5 o'clock), and decided I must go out and walk, I got on a bus and went to a big local park, and walked home through it and along the river, so most of it a very nice walk (sunset, autumn leaves, etc). What almost shocked me - because I'm not normally out on a walk at that time - was how many people there were out running where I was walking. I felt I saw a completely different group of people who I was barely aware of the existence of, the sort of people who must be getting home from work and immediately going out for a run!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @RuthW and @JenniferW, tech issue nightmare there and yes evening problematic because I only get back from the commute at 7, then make dinner for the family, get daughter to bed, stack dishwasher, prepare for next day. By then it is generally 9 or later so I admit to inactivity!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good point, Jennifer. I think reasons vary. I think for women evening exercise can clash with our perceptions of our "duty". It is easier for me now because my son has grown up and left home. But it got easier as he became a teenager, and also now I miss him because we used to walk and cycle and do other sports together. Then there is the safety issue, depending on where you live. Then there's weather. A fine evening is different from a wet one! And, for me, it is better to walk during the day because I need the Vitamin D. Mine is usually very low. Ideally I would walk earlier in the day, but then for me, as a Type 1, it is harder to find a time when I haven't got too much "insulin on board" until late afternoon/early evening. So, I tend to exercise or walk then. Juggling basal and bolus insulin doses for exercise is a bit hit-or-miss, I find. Carbing up seems to produce less error for me, but it also prevents weight loss, if course, and I want to lose 4 more kilos.
This is being diabetic, really, isn't it? So many more factors in every decision. :(

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hooray! I also did the 5:30 pm dash around the park today. Counting the walk to the high street today, I walked for two hours, with 90 minutes at a cracking pace.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hooray! I also did the 5:30 pm dash around the park today. Counting the walk to the high street today, I walked for two hours, with 90 minutes at a cracking pace.

You have to wonder if spelling out the problem yesterday morning helped you get it together for the afternoon walk. They always say that talking about something - going public - helps to make things happen, don't they?

My nice shock of the day is that I think for the first time since I got a fitness monitor and started counting, my average has got up to 10,000 steps a day! It's been 500 to 1,000 less than that for weeks, and I couldn't walk long enough regularly enough (without just getting wiped out) to get the average up.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You have to wonder if spelling out the problem yesterday morning helped you get it together for the afternoon walk. They always say that talking about something - going public - helps to make things happen, don't they?

My nice shock of the day is that I think for the first time since I got a fitness monitor and started counting, my average has got up to 10,000 steps a day! It's been 500 to 1,000 less than that for weeks, and I couldn't walk long enough regularly enough (without just getting wiped out) to get the average up.
Yes, the group element is really helping, isn't it? On Wednesday (it's past midnight here) I went all out. I had two places to go, so I went on foot there and back in both trips. It added up to 3.8 miles in the morning, and another 6.2 in the afternoon-evening. The last three miles wad all uphill! Now my legs are aching, but I am pretty pleased. My stamina is miles better than six weeks ago. Tomorrow is rest day, though!

On the way home, out of curiosity I counted just1000 steps. It takes you quite far really. Roughly how many miles do you think 10000 steps is?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the group element is really helping, isn't it? ... Roughly how many miles do you think 10000 steps is?

10,000 steps is between 7 and 8 km. Is that somewhere between 4 and 5 miles?

Like you, I'm getting used to the fact I don't have to do this all in one go, and that splitting it into two walks or three, makes each very attainable. It's developing new daily routines that's the hard part now - not the walking!