What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:

B: sausage and egg, coffeencream
L: greek salad and hummus, with a slice of gorgeous ham
D: Moussaka and some cauli cheese that needed finishing
and possibly a few tiny M&S chocs. 3 g carbs each. had 4. Then another 4, spread through the day. Have 8 left, but they weren't nice enough to bother, really.

Today:
B: back to work, so Coffeencream with a dash of posh MCT oil
L: hummus (again) and coconut yog. busy afternoon, so I needed to run on fat, with my brain in ketosis
D: will be prawns in LC cheese sauce with a humungous bag of green beans, followed by berries and cream.

Did you know that dogs like blueberries? No, me neither. Very good for 'em too. They benefit from the antioxidants too.

Reactions: 7 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today;

1/2 Carpet Tile with Bacon, Tomato, Cheddar melted on top. Greek Yoghurt with a splash of double cream & flaxseed.

Minestrone Soup (minus the pasta)

Chicken Laska (noodles replaced with Beansprouts)

HID appears to be on a one pot cooking frenzy at the moment.

Reactions: 6 people

richard077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Indian food lamb
Hi iam new to this site was reading post could ye give advice on best low carb foods for when eating out thanks

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi iam new to this site was reading post could ye give advice on best low carb foods for when eating out thanks

Hi Richard, and welcome!

I think the best advice i can give is to just hang around the forum, read the threads, and gently absorb all the info on here.

It will probably seem overwhelming to start with, but stick with it, and you will discover all sorts of stuff you didn't know that you needed to know! :)

This thread is a great starting point. Just have a read of some of the previous pages. And there is more info in the low carb section of the forum, and some fantastic recipes.

Reactions: 5 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When eating out I just avoid rice, pasta, chips and bread and have cheese instead of dessert (no crackers). Steak, chicken, fish and egg dishes are what I go for and I sometimes ask for extra salad instead of the starchy stuff. Most places are quite accommodating with this. Testing afterwards will give you an idea of how what you’ve had affects your BG.

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Full fat greek yogurt with flax and chopped nuts
L: Half a Lidl high protein roll with Boursin garlic & herb soft cheese, a few raspberries & blueberries with cream
D: Cauliflower & liver meatballs in a creamy cheese sauce, cream cheese cloud & grated 85% dark chocolate

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Brekkie: Chia seeds, almond milk and almond extract (or was it essence?)
Lunch: probably nuts (few walnuts and brazils) and avocado sprinkled with lime juice (my go-to meal for when I can't think of anything else or when time is short).
Dinner: Bolognaise sauce (using Loyd Grossman's tomato and basil sauce) over courgettini

Back to work tomorrow :eek: I could so get used to being a lady of leisure!

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Richard, I've been following these people for only about 2 weeks & they're all amazing. I have learnt so much about carbs. Went out for lunch yesterday & had 2 fried eggs on 2 thick slices of grilled ham, mushroom, tomatoes & mini portion of shoestring fries (shouldn't have had those, but couldn't help myself!) & a small glass red wine. Stick with, will look forward to your comments in a while.

Reactions: 8 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 slices of gammon , 2 sausages, 2 mushrooms and a poached egg...............:)

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B. 2 fried eggs, last small piece of ham, fried tomatoes(2)
L. 1 ryvita, 1 hard boiled egg (grabbed this quick as bs. was low). Almond/banana milk shake. 1/2 slice BURGEN with low sugar marmalade
D. Will be having thick veggie soup with chick peas
Probably be nibbling olives & cheese later on.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
B. 1 slice Burgen toast with Cheese spread
L. 3 chipolata 97% sausages, 3 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs
D. Monk fish in lemon %parsley sauce, cauliflower rice
S. Dbl Gloucester cheese with chives, 3 pieces crispy bacon 7 walnuts

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
S: lc hot chocncream
L: crustless quiche and (bought) coleslaw
D: tescos finest sausages. I think Mr B is obsessed with sausages. I'm not, and frankly i hay be sausaged out. Which will disappoint him!
S: 70% Moser Moth mini choc bar

Needed choc this evening. Met a woman on our dog walk. Got chatting, and her daughter is having to put her rottweiler down today or tomorrow. Only been ill a couple of weeks. Tumours everywhere. Still young. Knocked me sideways, really. Made me think how i would feel to lose my two mutts.

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm mainly concentrating on no added sugar - I've lost 8 pounds in just under 5 weeks.
I find that anything labelled NO FAT is usually high in sugar - so much for "healthy"
I've made cake with Xylitol instead of sugar using about 30g less because it's quite sweet, check their Facebook website (also www.totalsweet.co.uk)
To help I write down everything I eat and drink during the day. I've found it keeps me in focus.

Monday 12th-
Breakfast- 2 Eggs on toast, coffee
Lunch - Toast with olive scrape and Stute marmalade, coffee
Mid afternoon - Skinny latte
Evening meal - 2 M&S Corned Beef Crispbakes, Salad & low cal/fat crisps
Evening snack - 2 Ryvita with low fat cheese, coffee

Today
Breakfast - No sugar Cheerios with unsweetened Alpro Almond, coffee
Lunch - chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato, coffee
Evening meal - fresh salmon with broccoli and potatoes
Evening snack - as Monday.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Work today so brekky and lunch were portable
B - full fat yoghurt over mixed nuts and seeds - with a teeeeeny drizzle of agave nectar.
L - mixed green salad with mayo and mackerel strips - cucumber batons dipped in tbsp cream cheese.
D - roast lamb, cauliflower and a cheese sauce (made with 1 level dessert spoon flour), 3 strawberries chopped up with a splosh of cream.
S - 1 babybel cheese

Anyone got any tips for making a decent cheese sauce without using any flour?

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Work today so brekky and lunch were portable
B - full fat yoghurt over mixed nuts and seeds - with a teeeeeny drizzle of agave nectar.
L - mixed green salad with mayo and mackerel strips - cucumber batons dipped in tbsp cream cheese.
D - roast lamb, cauliflower and a cheese sauce (made with 1 level dessert spoon flour), 3 strawberries chopped up with a splosh of cream.
S - 1 babybel cheese

How about rice or almond flour

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

I did make one a few weeks ago to go over cauliflower which turned out quite good in a 'different' kind of way. I can't remember the proportions but it was cream cheese mixed with grated cheddar and thinned with double cream. I also used it (adding an egg) to make a topping for a moussaka.