Free prescription if I stop Metformin?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
stupid to ask this but I can't find an answer anywhere! If I stop Metformin because my low carb diet helps my diabetes, will my free prescriptions stop even though I have now been diagnosed with emphysema ? Or is my puffer free on NHS as well as Metformin? Thank you .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea whether your emphysema qualifies for an exemption, but the reality is if you are able to stop taking diabetes meds at any time, your exemption certificate remains valid for the balance of its term. So, if that was 6 months after you received it, or after a renewal, you would qualify for free prescriptions for 4 years and 6 months. Thereafter, you would be reassessed, depending on your overall health, age and so on.

I was diagnosed diabetic, but didn't ever take medication to treat it, therefore I have never qualified for an exemption certificate.

I hope that clarifies for you.

Reactions: 5 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take any diabetic meds but as I'm on the diabetic register I am entitled to free prescriptions as the rules stand.

Reactions: 3 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Reactions: 3 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you ever take meds for your diabetes?
I have a new cert, as I have only just been diagnosed, but I am trying a low carb diet, just wondered if my bs is deemed ok when I next go for my check up and they decide I don't need Metformin anymore would the remaining 4.5 years on the cert be valid.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a new cert, as I have only just been diagnosed, but I am trying a low carb diet, just wondered if my bs is deemed ok when I next go for my check up and they decide I don't need Metformin anymore would the remaining 4.5 years on the cert be valid.

I was actually asking @VinnyJames , as I felt his post was potentially misleading. Mine is correct, in my view, as is @CollieBoy 's.

Keep going with the reduced carb. It works for many people.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take any diabetic meds but as I'm on the diabetic register I am entitled to free prescriptions as the rules stand.
I thought you had to be on diabetic medication to have an exemption. I'm diet only but have an exemption due to taking Thyroid medication.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having an exemption certificate, and being exempt from paying are two completely different things.

Just as those who potentially got in trouble for signing to say that they were exempt when in fact their certificate had expired, using your certificate to get free prescriptions, when in fact you either do not or have ceased to qualify would be an offence.

Reactions: 2 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having an exemption certificate, and being exempt from paying are two completely different things.

Just as those who potentially got in trouble for signing to say that they were exempt when in fact their certificate had expired, using your certificate to get free prescriptions, when in fact you either do not or have ceased to qualify would be an offence.

That's what I thought.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking Metformin in July (yay) and contacted the NHS Prescriptions people directly. They told me mycertificate remains valid until its expiry date, even though I'm no longer on diabetes meds. Happy to post a copy if that helps?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you that is very interesting, I'm worried that if the doc says come off Metformin although that would be good I am concerned I wouldn't be able to afford my puffer for my emphysema as I am only 59.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the email I got back from the NHS when I raised the query with them:

Thank you for your email to NHS Help with Health Costs.I am pleased to hear you no longer require medication for your Diabetes.

I can confirm you are able to use the Exemption Certificate until the expiry date.

For any general enquiries, please use our 'Ask Us' page at www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk or visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NHSBSAHelpWithHealthCosts; if you require any further assistance please contact us by email or telephone us on 0300 330 1341.

Yours sincerely,

Rose Burns

cleardot.gif

Customer Contact Agent
Help With Health Costs Team

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Thank you that is very interesting, I'm worried that if the doc says come off Metformin although that would be good I am concerned I wouldn't be able to afford my puffer for my emphysema as I am only 59.

Hi again @Magsx1 It may be worth you exploring the NHS prescription low income scheme. If you click on the link I posted earlier and scroll down you will find details there. Hopefully that may be able to help. Sue xxx