Does this happen to all Type 1's...?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I never discuss my diabetes (after 53 successful years of avoiding to do so). Except, of course, with family, friends and people who need to know at work, in case...
Well said, just like me after years of frustration!

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I blame the media for a lot of the misunderstanding that is rife among people today. Every few days you get a new article telling you that sugar/fat/alcohol/whatever causes diabetes without specifying the type or what exactly happens within the body, so everyone just thinks that everyone with diabetes is obese and can cut down their sugar and fix it. This may be true for a few people but certainly isn't representative of every diabetic of either type!

My worst was at work; was having a hypo and went all shaky, my manager sat me down and I explained that I was diabetic and needed some sugar. She had some chocolate which she quickly gave to me, only to have a colleague say 'but you shouldn't be eating that', despite me having explained the situation! Much as I blame the media for a lot of this, I think some people could listen a bit more as well; it does get frustrating.

Reactions: 2 people

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had most of the above comments made to me during the past 4 years since being diagnosed Type 1 at age 55 years. One comment that always sticks in my mind was from a work colleague. I returned to work after my diagnosis by way of a long hospital stay with ketoacidosis. Friends and other colleagues had told her how poorly I had been and explained how life threatening DKA can be etc. So after welcoming me back and showing remarkable understanding of what I had been through she casually said, "well at least you have your health!" Still working that one out :banghead:

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
After diagnosis I once got told by a work 'colleague' that I must have had Type 2 first for many years before developing type 1 and that it was 'all my fault'. Think I might of noticed that I had type 2 for many years first:) Might of resorted to violence if the conversation (more like a broadcast) hadn't taken place at work.

The other comment that I hear , from non-diabetics, quite often is how someone knows a friend of a diabetic or who has a distant diabetic relative who finds diabetes management so easy and who has perfect control without any impact on their lives whatsoever. This one really grates me as it is total b******t !

Reactions: 6 people

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hello wurst. It's a shame they can't get some tips or words of wisdom from the genius distant diabetic friend/relative. Would make things so much easier for all of us!

Reactions: 5 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Hello wurst. It's a shame they can't get some tips or words of wisdom from the genius distant diabetic friend/relative. Would make things so much easier for all of us!

Definitely :) , we'd all be saved if we could find them. The amount of times i've heard this is unbelievable. Next time I'll ask for a meet up!

Reactions: 4 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From a kid I teach on noticing my pump and asking about it. "My dog has diabetes. It's dying, it's got kidney failure and is blind." Eerrrmmmm.
Or "My nan has diabetes, she's only got 2 toes."

And as for type 2 and weight issues - my dad had type 2 but wasn't diagnosed until he had 26" waist. So in yer face about weight and type 2 being related.

He looked like a poor refugee from the old 1940s war footage. Makes me wonder if he was actually LADA. We'll never know now.
Other members of his family were type 2 and skinny.
I was diagnosed type 1 when I was 20. My cousin was 46 when he was diagnosed with type 1.
Call us type 1 or type 2 I actually don't care. We could all end up with the same awful complications. What needs to change is the public ignorance towards diabetes.
Sorry for the rant!

And LCHF forever! Just saying.

Reactions: 9 people

Jo123

My 55 year old boyfriend developed type 1 aged 40 following a severe depression when he got divorced, probably trigged by stress and bad eating habits.

I believe type 1 and 2 diabetes should have very different names, they are very different conditions especially as type 1 cannot be reversed by lifestyle changes. Maybe then people would understand, I didn't know the difference until this relationship and just how challenging type 1 is to manage.

Please tell me your secret of how type 2 can be reversed?
I would love to know!

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes I wind someone up, whenever they say 'you shouldn't have sugar', I say 'I don't care if I want to kill myself'. As they are doing more dangerous things to themselves like smoking, eating the wrong foods or not eating at all and they have the nerve to tell me to eat properly.

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
I'm 25 no friends or family just me and my diabetes I hope I die soon