PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY & ATROPHY

andreaabbott1

Hi at long last after loads and loads of different test I guess to rule out cancer, MS and other things the Neurologist has diagnosed my hubby with peripheral neuropathy.
Only he didnt really seem interested in answering any questions and hastily sent us away with an appointment at the pain clinic

Hubby has the neuropathy badly in his right leg to the point the muscles have wasted so much he cant even lift the leg off a bed

he has also lost huge amount of weight without trying
the pain in his leg moves but pain is always there so it might be his knee, or his hip or the thigh
pain averages 7 to 10
what we want to know is will he ever regain any muscle back?
obviously that nerve is beyond repair will it die and the pain stop?
if the nerve dies will he then have a totally useless leg?

I have for the last 3 weeks had his BG under control with diet and they aren't ever going above 7 at all now which is better than his average of 23

can someone explain the pain is it normal that it moves?
is it normal that even though his socks are loose he feels they are tight
is it normal to feel really intense pain even from a gentle touch
is it normal that his leg and foot feel cold to touch
is it normal for him to fall so frequently?

will any of this get better ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Has he had an Emg test done to confirm atrophy?

I haven't got any answers for you I'm afraid. All my pains for 20 years turned out to be due to intolerance to aspartame, sweeteners and preservatives. I got them in hip and both upper legs to my knees.

Has your hubby been given any pain relieve?

There is an electrode thing (don't know the name of the treatment though) that some pain clinics offer. Basically they find your main nerve in your groin of one leg and put an electrode to it (similar but better than a home tens machine). This is supposedly feeding different signals to the nerves. They then swap to your other leg (if both legs). Only takes about 30 minutes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Glad you have got levels down..

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I can't answer your questions but I'm glad he has been referred to the pain clinic. Hopefully they will review his meds and put him on an effective regime of pain meds. Usually opioids and they may try pain-modifying drugs like gabapentin too.

His frequent falls are a huge risk for injury, including fractures or head injury. This risk will increase if his pain meds are increased, because they usually increase sedation. IMHO he needs to be assessed by an occupational therapist or physiotherapist who is skilled in falls prevention strategies. These may include a walking frame and/or handrails installed around the house. I assume any of his doctors could make the referral but I don't know how the system works where you are. There may be a community-based rehabilitation service that does this work.

When he falls, where is he and what is he doing? It might help to record the falls in a notebook so you can let the OT or PT know this info as it will help them.

andreaabbott1

he can fall anywhere even just shuffling down the hall to the loo
he falls forwards and backwards he has no sign he is going to fall
the doctor increased the pregabalin told him to stop the amitriptylin and to cut down to one tramadol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Has your GP discussed the falls?

Some councils or GPs can (I think you can) contact a "falls team".
There is definitely more help available.

Reactions: 2 people

oldun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most TV shows. Rap music.
I have symptoms similar to your husbands. And great sympathy.
In my own case I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy about 1997. Good control of sugars. Balance is rapidly worsening. GP diagnosed vertigo and prescribed medication which did not help. Legs feel as tho' have socks with wire wool.
Shooting pains anywhere any time. Dry mouth especially through night time. Sudden sweats. Usually feel hungry. Digestive problems especially constipation. Some difficulty opening eyes mornings. Increasing 'clumsiness' hands and feet. Osteo-arthritis is another issue plus Blepheritis, gout and ARMD. high blood pressure. Difficulty passing water - incomplete emptying of bladder (Hytrin)
My own research strongly indicates diabetic polyneuropathy. Hospital appt in two weeks.
2 x 500mg Metformin. 8 paracetamol p.d. 10mcg patch Stopped Tramadol due to constipation.
Chair exercise classes 3 x week. Special X's for balance

andreaabbott1

well its spreading t the other leg now, GP nor hospital are moving on the neurologist appointment
he also now feels faint when getting up, and has strange vision, GP just says I have referred you I cant do anymore.

he alternates between constipation and diarrhea
I did have BG under control but he does still eat the wrong things although we have gone no higher than 7 in the last onth which is good for him

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
well its spreading t the other leg now, GP nor hospital are moving on the neurologist appointment
he also now feels faint when getting up, and has strange vision, GP just says I have referred you I cant do anymore.

he alternates between constipation and diarrhea
I did have BG under control but he does still eat the wrong things although we have gone no higher than 7 in the last onth which is good for him
Faintness when getting up might be postural hypotension, which can be relieved by getting up more slowly.