Latest Hba1c

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I`ve just got the latest results, Hba1c down from 45 to 39 so well chuffed. I got a printout though and don`t fully understand the cholesterol figures and I was hoping someone could maybe translate. Here goes: serum cholesterol 4.6 mmol/l , serum triglycerides 0.9 mmol/l , serum HDL 2.1 mmol/l , se non HDL 2.5 mmol/l , calculated LDL 2.1 mmol/l. The figures look ok to me but I`m not sure about ratios or what se non HDL is, any info gratefully received.

Reactions: 6 people

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't help much other than we were told that HDL was good cholesterol and LDL was bad. This was on the Desmond course. Total cholesterol should be 4 or less apparently and LDL 2or less.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here goes: serum cholesterol 4.6 mmol/l , serum triglycerides 0.9 mmol/l , serum HDL 2.1 mmol/l , se non HDL 2.5 mmol/l , calculated LDL 2.1 mmol/l. The figures look ok to me but I`m not sure about ratios or what se non HDL is, any info gratefully received.

Hope this helps with your query:

Inside your cholesterol numbers:
The blood test measures:

Total cholesterol. This is a measure of LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol and other lipid components.

LDL (low density lipoprotein cholesterol). LDL cholesterol can build up on the walls of your arteries and increase the chances of getting heart disease. That is why LDL cholesterol is referred to as ‘bad’ cholesterol. The lower your LDL cholesterol number, the better it is for your health.

HDL (high density lipoprotein cholesterol, also called "good" cholesterol) HDL cholesterol protects against heart disease by taking the "bad" cholesterol out of your blood and keeping it from building up in your arteries. A higher number for this cholesterol is a good sign.

Triglycerides (fats carried in the blood from the food we eat. Excess calories, alcohol or sugar in the body are converted into triglycerides and stored in fat cells throughout the body.

The NHS says for healthy adults:

Total cholesterol should be 5.0 millimoles per litre (mmol/L) or lower. The average in the UK is actually around 5.5 mmol/l for men and 5.6 mmol/l for women.

LDL cholesterol should be 3mmol/L or lower

HDL level above 1 mmol/L

Triglyceride level under 1.7 mmol/L

People with higher risks, such as heart disease or high blood pressure will be set lower targets:

Total cholesterol of 4mmol/L or lower

LDL of 2mmol/L or lower

Cholesterol numbers are used to calculate the overall risk of coronary heart disease.

The ratio of total cholesterol to HDL - total cholesterol divided by HDL - should be below 4.

Doctors will set individual cholesterol targets for patients based on their overall risk factors. Treatment may involve diet changes to cut down on bad fats, increasing exercise, or taking cholesterol lowering medication, such as statins.

Reactions: 4 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for your replies, you guys are great!

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been told my numbers are 38mmol ?
It was 42 mmol, what does this mean? How does it relate to blood G tests ?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply, I am on Metformin one a day, the readings are about 6months apart, mainly because no one told me I had to go exactly every three months! The doctor and nurse say different things.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got the results of my HbA1c it's 53 - down from 74 in July - which was down from 81 at the initial diagnosis on June 8th. I have been very strict with a Low Carb diet, increased my exercise and continued with 1 metformin SR per day (no side effects now). But I was hoping this latest result would be slightly lower - however, I've had pneumonia for 2 weeks in October with steroids and 2 different courses of antibiotics - perhaps that had an effect on this result...... any thoughts?