Bikram Yoga, Pregnancy and Diabetes!

kimkerr1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I used to do Bikram Yoga a while back (about a year ago) but stopped. I would now like to start again, but cant seem to find any advice on this when diabetic AND pregnant!
Has anyone else done Bikram Yoga when pregnant and with Type 1 Diabetes?
I would always have to be extra careful with my sugars as the heat would affect my sugar levels, but not sure about the pregnancy side of things - is this safe?
I am a Type 1 Diabetic and I am 3 and a half months pregnant.
Any help you could offer would be appreciated!
Many Thanks
Kim x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't do Bikram Yoga. I did do some exercises during pregnancy, some of which were derived from yoga, but they were ones specifically recommended for pregnancy. I know that some yoga poses are contraindicated during pregnancy - some inversions amongst others.

I would think there may possibly be an issue with the heat too. I was warned about overheating in pregnancy as it wasn't good for the baby. Whether the heat of a class would be dangerous, I don't know. As with any exercise, I suggest you check with your midwife and/or your consultant.

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Reactions: 2 people

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think being diabetic will have an effect, but from what I've read, researchers do not recommend any pregnant women participate in Bikram yoga because it exposes the fetus to excessive heat for prolonged periods (I know my classes were always 90 minutes and I was usually in there for almost 2 hours from when I first walked in the room to leaving the room after the class ended).

If you'd been doing regular practice before becoming pregnant it would probably be a bit more doable for a little while anyway, but I wouldn't try starting something like that 3.5 months into pregnancy. Having done it myself regularly off and on (not in the last few years) I can definitely see the appeal but I wouldn't risk it.

This article talks about some of the risks:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3994790/

Yuste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

Can't advice on Bikram Yoga but I was doing Hatha Yoga throughout my pregnancy. Started at 12 weeks. I'm type 1 too. Enjoyed it and had no issues what's so ever. I attended classes for pregnant women though.