Flu jab

Tmaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had it for a number of years and have never had a side effect from it, I'm not taking any chances, especially as have seen consequences of not having it and being diabetic.

Reactions: 7 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Odd people get side effects (usually not serious). I have had the jab for ten years now and never had any problems barring a sore arm (I always forget how much it hurts till it's actually done ). I've not had flu since getting the jab, but I'm reasonably certain I never had it before either. Whether or not to be jabbed is obviously a choice, but my inclination would be to give it a go - better a bit of minor side effects than full blown flu!

diabeticguy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had it in November last year, was so ill over Christmas and New Year I was praying for death. My sugars must have been in absolute chaos. Couldn't keep down food neither was I energised to inject twice a day. But as I am in the GP's vulnerable group I am always invited to have it done.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The worst issue I had was when my arm got flu after the jab. It lasted 48hrs. Haven't had any other issues ?

Reactions: 5 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Had it in November last year, was so ill over Christmas and New Year I was praying for death. My sugars must have been in absolute chaos. Couldn't keep down food neither was I energised to inject twice a day. But as I am in the GP's vulnerable group I am always invited to have it done.
If there was at least 4 weeks between the flu jab and getting sick, it's unlikely the two events were related. It's possible that you caught a strain of the flu that wasn't in the vaccine, or you caught one that was in the vaccine, and although your illness was severe, the vaccine prevented it from being even worse.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please support your GP practices if getting flu jabs done....

Pharmacists get paid over £9 for giving flu jabs... And tbey don't record it it to your NHS records...

GPs get paid just over £2 per jab.... And they record it direct to your records.

I cannot tell you where this instance has occurred... But it is real...
One elderly patient had flu jab at GP... The Patient then went to a chemist for dome reason. The chemists are putting pressure on the public to have their flu jabs as they get paid do much much money for them...
This lady had a 2nd flu jab done at chemist!!

Our practice only realised when the records eventually went from the cgemist to our admin persons at the GP to input.

Please, please... Chemists do not have access to your NHS records... They are being paid at least 400% more than our GPs to do.

Our GPs can only feturn 10% of unused vaccines that were originally ordered. They did not know that NHS were going to allow any chemist to give.

Some of our GPS are in dire straits over flu jabs/chemists etc.

It is NOT just a case of a vaccination..... This is s huge business to GPs who will lose huge amounts of funds and tbe NHS again failing primary care GP services.......

Please.. If you are having a flu jab.. Get it at GP who will put it on your NHS records.

Reactions: 7 people

HEG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the flu jab for the first time the nurse jabbed the needle in then as she disposed of the needle said "by the way your arm might be a little red and ache. As it's the first time you may feel a few of the symptoms for about 3 weeks until your body produces the antibodies". Thanks then! don't tell me before you put it in. Lol. She was sort of right my arm didn't ache but I have had a "think I'm going to have a cold" feeling for a few days, but nothing too bad.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I had the flu jab for the first time the nurse jabbed the needle in then as she disposed of the needle said "by the way your arm might be a little red and ache. As it's the first time you may feel a few of the symptoms for about 3 weeks until your body produces the antibodies". Thanks then! don't tell me before you put it in. Lol. She was sort of right my arm didn't ache but I have had a "think I'm going to have a cold" feeling for a few days, but nothing too bad.
So often it seems that HCPs don't get this part right. They are required to tell the patient about benefits, side effects and risks BEFORE gaining informed consent for any treatment. Sigh.

Rob2006Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm off to the GP drop in session to get mine this morning. Not looking forward to it because I still don't like needles!

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Just received letter for jab. Diabetic 5 years, had jab last 3 years. Nothing more than a "funny arm" in terms of side effects.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had mine this afternoon. Never had any adverse reactions to any shot I've ever had. Wish I could say the same for drugs :(

Reactions: 2 people

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My arm feels ill for a day or two, having mine on the 17th.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to make clear that the flu vaccines have no protection against colds
CAROL

ACCobra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Disingenuous people, Buzzwords, Impatience, Politicians in general
I got my flu vaccine three weeks ago. My only reaction was a bit of soreness at the site of injection. Some warm, moist compresses applied to the site and some specific exercises, (pushups if you can or arm stretching), will help with the arm soreness. At least it worked for me. A little arm soreness is worth tolerating compared to the alternative of catching and suffering with the flu.

Reactions: 5 people

Steve Squire

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had mine on Monday and by Tuesday lunchtime I was in bed and remained there for 3 days :-( nicked me for 6!!! I have had it previously with no symptoms

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had mine on the 12th, no sore arm or cold-type symptoms but I was sick the next day. Could have been the Sauerkraut though.

Scottish Mum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I've had flu jab for about 4 years as a carer. Two years I've had an aching arm, and this years one gave me nothing at all. I've only ever once had what I would call flu, and I hope I never get it again. My other half on the other hand, always says he has the flu, when he has a cold!

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Just had mine last week. Always take it. As someone who has been on a ventilator and induced coma through Acute Respiratory Failure in ICU getting the flu is not mild for diabetics. You can be gambling with your life if you don't get immunized. Never had any side effects and speculation that the jab causes flu is pure untrue and a lot of other viruses circulate at the same time as flu season.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please support your GP practices if getting flu jabs done....

Pharmacists get paid over £9 for giving flu jabs... And tbey don't record it it to your NHS records...

GPs get paid just over £2 per jab.... And they record it direct to your records.

I cannot tell you where this instance has occurred... But it is real...
One elderly patient had flu jab at GP... The Patient then went to a chemist for dome reason. The chemists are putting pressure on the public to have their flu jabs as they get paid do much much money for them...
This lady had a 2nd flu jab done at chemist!!

Our practice only realised when the records eventually went from the cgemist to our admin persons at the GP to input.

Please, please... Chemists do not have access to your NHS records... They are being paid at least 400% more than our GPs to do.

Our GPs can only feturn 10% of unused vaccines that were originally ordered. They did not know that NHS were going to allow any chemist to give.

Some of our GPS are in dire straits over flu jabs/chemists etc.

It is NOT just a case of a vaccination..... This is s huge business to GPs who will lose huge amounts of funds and tbe NHS again failing primary care GP services.......

Please.. If you are having a flu jab.. Get it at GP who will put it on your NHS records.

I can never understand why anyone who qualifies for a free flu jab would have it done at the chemist rather than their doctors. I could see that if someone wants one but does not qualify for a free one that they would go to a chemist as they would have to pay for it. Anyone can have one if they pay but I don't know if GP surgeries would do those