Lightheaded in waking

LizzieCas210

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the past week or so I have been experiencing lightheadedness on waking. I was diagnosed Type 2 in March of this year and take 1 metformin tablet in the morning, and 1 simvastatin in the evening. Has anyone out there also experienced the same?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the past week or so I have been experiencing lightheadedness on waking. I was diagnosed Type 2 in March of this year and take 1 metformin tablet in the morning, and 1 simvastatin in the evening. Has anyone out there also experienced the same?

I can't say I have experienced what you describe, but for others a little more information might help.

Do you feel light headed as soon as you wake, or is it when you get up from your bed? Do you test your bloods at home? If you do, what are your bloods usually like, and are they any different - higher or lower - when you feel light headed?

LizzieCas210

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't say I have experienced what you describe, but for others a little more information might help.

Do you feel light headed as soon as you wake, or is it when you get up from your bed? Do you test your bloods at home? If you do, what are your bloods usually like, and are they any different - higher or lower - when you feel light headed?
It is when I get up from my bed. I don't test.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few tings come to mind.

Do you know what your blood pressure is like? Some people experience a drop in BP when they get up. You could also have an inner ear infection going on.

I asked about home testing to ensure your bloods are running in good order. Have you considered home testing?

(I am unlikely to respond again tonight as I'll be heading to bed shortly.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It is when I get up from my bed. I don't test.
A common cause of this symptom is postural hypotension. It's hard to test for because the blood pressure changes so quickly. If you feel lightheaded as soon as you stand up from a lying position, then you may have this. It can be managed by getting up slowly.

If that doesn't help or if you have any concerns, best to see your doctor.

LizzieCas210

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few tings come to mind.

Do you know what your blood pressure is like? Some people experience a drop in BP when they get up. You could also have an inner ear infection going on.

I asked about home testing to ensure your bloods are running in good order. Have you considered home testing?

(I am unlikely to respond again tonight as I'll be heading to bed shortly.
BP has always been good, but maybe worth getting a check. I do suffer with tinnitus as well, wonder if it is to do with that? Home testing would be a good idea, will look into it. Thanks for your advice.

LizzieCas210

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A common cause of this symptom is postural hypotension. It's hard to test for because the blood pressure changes so quickly. If you feel lightheaded as soon as you stand up from a lying position, then you may have this. It can be managed by getting up slowly.

If that doesn't help or if you have any concerns, best to see your doctor.
Thank you. Yes I think it would be good to get a BP check again, although it has always been good.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Lightheadedness and tinnitis can be signs of inner ear problems. A few months ago I had some dizziness issues and my doctor did some tests and said it was probably due to inflammation in the inner ear. Thankfully it went away after a few days. Hopefully your doctor will be able to solve the mystery for you.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LizzieCas210 did you get lightheaded before going onto statins because they may be the problem - I used to take Pravostatins and had to stop them because they caused me to have dizzy spells

Teddysmum

I used to wake up feeling light headed and nauseous, having had thyroid tests indicating hypothyroidism, but then going normal, so I was given thyroxine and all was fine. However, since, because of tests I've had the dose increased, though there were no symptoms.