Metformin

sidtommo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm new to the forum, I've had type 2 for about 9/10 years,controlled by diet and exercise, just been told my blood results have been going up for the last few tests, and I've been prescribed Metformin, what's it like to take, and is it any good. also any advice on whether or not to do regular blood checks.
any help appreciated

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First, yes do regular blood checks so get a meter and test 2 hours after a meal every so often to see how foods are affecting you. Metformin is a very safe drug but never has that much effect on blood sugar. It is at it's best if you have excess weight. Many poeple suffer bowel problems for a few weeks on the standard version. If you have bowel problems or IBS etc then do ask for the SR (Slow Release) version which is much kinder. As usual the best thing for diabetes is the right diet and that means keeping the carbs down and having enough protein and fats to feel full.

sidtommo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. First, yes do regular blood checks so get a meter and test 2 hours after a meal every so often to see how foods are affecting you. Metformin is a very safe drug but never has that much effect on blood sugar. It is at it's best if you have excess weight. Many poeple suffer bowel problems for a few weeks on the standard version. If you have bowel problems or IBS etc then do ask for the SR (Slow Release) version which is much kinder. As usual the best thing for diabetes is the right diet and that means keeping the carbs down and having enough protein and fats to feel full.

Thanks will do with the monitor, and will check the carbs.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Thanks will do with the monitor, and will check the carbs.
Thank you for the information. I have taken pro-Metformin at the dose of 850mgx3 per day even before the Sulfumunereas when I was treated 5 yrs. ago. My medical team wanted to just give me the Metformin but unfortunately the exercise and diet just did not bring the blood glucose low enough. I find it very mild, yes a bit of gastro, but that is because I also take lithium. I have read that Metformin has three advantages: cardiac protection, some weight loss, and lack of hypoglycemia. One of my pharmacists was positive about the safety of this drug. It is unfortunate that the blood glucose does not compare with the newer oral anti-diabetes drugs. But I think they, in combination with Metformin hypoglycemia is less risky. I suppose that insulin, the miracle drug prior to all these medications, is the most powerful, unless of course dose is significant, and needles are not necessary.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was taking Metformin I only had the occasional bowel problems. I will tag @daisy1 to post you some information to read.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Metformin for a week now. 500mg 3 times a day with food. No problems at all. No bowel problems, no side effects. My numbers are going down. Before metformin they were anything between 10 and 20 and now they are around 5-10 so they are going down nicely. Also I am working on reducing my carbs and right now I am on lexx than 100g a day

Staceygomm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am t2 started taking metformin in September and within days doctor changed me to slow release. Still suffered with bowels but no sickness. I am now in forth week and on four a day. Eating low GI and limiting carbs. Have lost a stone in 4 weeks so happy with that. I do struggle with food ideas and keep ending up eating same dinners, so any ideas would be great.

naomi197783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been on metformin for nearly a month first week I just wanted to sleep all the time which was unusual for me as I normally don't sleep much I have ibs no bowel problems I don't know if it's helping my blood sugar levels as I have been told not to test & I can't afford to buy a meter lancets test strips as I'm not working

Purplehaze55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have taken 2x 500 Metformin for 2 months now and I have lost nearly a stone in weight but I have found the tablets make me constipated.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Generally type 1 diabetes need to test their blood sugars regularly. Type 2 people need to keep an eye over a 3 month period. The difference is Type 1 do not have insulin Type 2 have insulin but are resistant to it and sugars leak into the bloods. This is why Type 1 people generally get blood machines to test their bloods on a daily basis because they can have too low glucose or too high glucose for energy. It is difficult for a type 2 person to have too little because some of the insulin will work where as they can have too much sugar floating around the body. It is possible for Type 1 diabetics to also have type 2 diabetes. Newly diagnose Type 2 will have regular blood tests at the start to ensure the metformin is at the correct level and then watched over the 3 months. At least this is my understanding and I am type 2.
I too suffered with heartburn with Metformin but once I started taking it immediately after food this reduced significantly. It is recommended to take the tablet with a glass of water. Water is important to stop constipation as is eating enough fiber. Green leafy vegetables are the best sort of fiber as they are also low in carbohydrates. As to the sleepiness, I too and finding that I am sleeping more with the Metformin after foods. Presumably this is because of the extra sugar conversion. I also hope it settles down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am t2 started taking metformin in September and within days doctor changed me to slow release. Still suffered with bowels but no sickness. I am now in forth week and on four a day. Eating low GI and limiting carbs. Have lost a stone in 4 weeks so happy with that. I do struggle with food ideas and keep ending up eating same dinners, so any ideas would be great.
What sort of foods are you eating as part of the low GI good diet and how low are you trying to keep the carbs?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The hardest thing to do is to make sure you dont become complacent with your diet and testing your BS as both play an essential part in keeping your BS under control. Initially while you are trying to figure out which foods affect you and those that dont you will obviously use more test strips and over time you will find you no longer need to test as often. At the end of last year I kept having hypos so I stopped my Metformin and then the hypos stopped. I have now lowered my carbs to under 20gr a day and I have started having hypos again so while it isnt dangerous for T2s to go low it can still happen and it still makes you feel awful.

Reactions: 4 people

Scottish Mum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I can't afford to buy a meter lancets test strips as I'm not working

DEMAND it @naomi197783

You must test.

Keeping a food and exercise diary and using that as a means to show commitment to managing diabetes, along with choosing a sympathetic GP, might help persuade them to allow you a few tests a day. That's how I got mine, after initially being told no.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked my GP should I test and he said - yes that's a good idea I will give u strips and meter-.
I only took strips cos I already had a meter. Finding good GP is a key

Sugarpuff76

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm new to the forum, I've had type 2 for about 9/10 years,controlled by diet and exercise, just been told my blood results have been going up for the last few tests, and I've been prescribed Metformin, what's it like to take, and is it any good. also any advice on whether or not to do regular blood checks.
any help appreciated
I had to stop it as it gave me breathing problems and lowered my kidney function. Waiting for blood test tomorrow to see if kidney function improved since stopping it. My husband takes it with no problems however

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was unfortunate to not tolerate metformin. But they kept me on it for 5 years anyhow. I was glad to be off that drug. To be honest it didn't improve my sugar control much at all on its own, the other oral drugs they put me on did that job. My side effects were predominately nausea and diarrhoea. I have had stomach problems ever since... even after coming off it. But I know others have good news stories with this drug... so not everyone has my experience. I would advise though that if you do have side effects, try and get off it if you can. I put up with it way too long and now I wonder what part it played in worsening my health because my stomach was fine prior to metformin... I never had reflux or even ibs that I can recall. I think the metformin seemed to trigger it all for me. It's just my thought though... could be completely something else entirely. Just seems an odd coincidence to me.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good on you for testing. Those numbers arn't too bad and it gives you something to work with.