Best meter

Dodders40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I am going to have to use insulin. Can anyone recommend a good meter to use for monitoring and recording please.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is your doctor not going to supply with with one on prescription?

Robbity

Dodders40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply. Yes they are. I was told to get the best one for me. I see there are adverts for free ones on here if you qualify

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm confused. Anyone on insulin should be given a free meter and as many free test strips as they need. Don't doctors have a list of meters they can choose to prescribe?

M

mammamia2006

@Dodders40 The type of meter you get is entirely up to preference.

You get basic ones, mini ones, ones that help with indulin doses, some can hook up to computer.

I have a few meters still in boxes and the meter I like best is the Freestyle Insulinx, ONLY because it has a light so I can check my levels in the dark without waking my hubby.

Good luck finding one you like. HUNDREDS to choose from.

Reactions: 3 people
M

mammamia2006

You get basic ones, mini ones, ones that help with indulin doses, some can hook up to computer.

I have a few meters still in boxes and the meter I like best is the Freestyle Insulinx, ONLY because it has a light so I can check my levels in the dark without waking my hubby.

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I agree; the Freestyle insulinx is the best non-CGM meter I've ever used. If your GP won't prescribe on then goo to the Abbott website and they will send you one for free. The Insulinx has a 90 day memory, carb counting/insulin dose calculator and a very useful light. Plus it's light and comes with a decent pricker and wallet to keep it all in.

M

mammamia2006

@Aginoth do you know the code for unlocking the carb/insulin calculator? I have 4 Insulinx meters and no idea of the code lol

Dodders40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all. @CatLadyNZ I will be given a meter. I didn't know doctors would have a list of them. Since being told I need insulin I am panicking about reading carbs and my insulin dose. I know I will get used to it.

LondonAndy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marmite
My favourite so far is the AccuChek Mobile. It was free from the manufacturer, and all supplies on prescription. The features I like are:

1. that it has a cartridge of 50 test strips built in (once you have tested, the device automatically advances on to the next one, taking the used bit into the shell - neat!).

2. The finger-pricker has a kinda 6-barrel lance, which is really easy to advance to the next one, and then easy to dispose when all 6 are used, without any sharps issues.

3. Big, clear LCD display. They also supply batteries and glucose test solutions free, though I suspect this is quite widespread.

4. You can hook it up to a PC for graphs and analysis etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thank you all. @CatLadyNZ I will be given a meter. I didn't know doctors would have a list of them. Since being told I need insulin I am panicking about reading carbs and my insulin dose. I know I will get used to it.
I don't know if UK doctors have a list of meters... in NZ they do but things aren't always done the same way here of course. I just thought, if they give them out or prescribe them, then they would know what's available. I dunno, lol.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . I'm using a onetouch verio.iq it is as easy to use as any . It has a trend indicator and for me it's the light that is the best thing as if I need to test at night I can see what I'm doing if I need to test before I drive
Clive

richard077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Indian food lamb
Hi I used a few glucose meter like accu chek mobile accu chek guardian and verio iq and I found they give different levels every time u test even if u follow instructions I use a bayer counter standard meter which is more accurate because if test twice u will get a reading with in 2ml not like other meters best of luck