My day

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People, who do not stick by you in good times and bad.
Hi all,
I am male 47 and type 2 diabetic. I am slightly overweight and was diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks ago. I started with fright and cut out all sugar immediately and started having 3 meals a day I was amazed when I lost 7 lbs I was 16 stone at 5'9" bit of a pot belly but skinny every where else. I was also told I had a enlarged liver and fatty to boot (i dont drink alcohol).
Sorry I then spoke with some lovely people on the type 2 site and I noticed all the stuff about the low carb diet, i have been on it now for two days, any info on what I can expect to happen to me in the process of this diet would be great. Also could someone tell me why sweeteners are not aloud as I love them in my coffee as sugar is out now I can actually see my belly shrink and at the moment I feel quite full after a very small portion. I have also cut out all veg grown underground and bread ( bread almost as soon as I was told) i have been diagnosed type 2 and the only person I have seen is for the feet. My doctor said " Well your type 2" and handed me a sheet and that was it really.
As I said I've gotten some good info on the other section and I'm sure it will be no different here. I love this site, so many people have had some experience of everybody else. great info.

Thanks

Reactions: 6 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done so far, you may find on the LC diet, you start to feel rough as if you have the flu and your sight may go a bit blurry, these effects are only temporary and will soon pass, if you wear glasses don't worry about changing them now because, as your sight clears you may have to change them for a different prescription, unless of course you wear them to drive at which point I would suggest a visit to the opticians get a check up then buy the cheap reading glassed as sold in Boots, as sugar is released from your eyes it changes your vision.
Sweeteners can be used but be aware some can give you the runs if you take a lot of them, more so if you are on something like Metformin.
Good luck and do let us know how you get on, for good grub ideas try the Low Carb Diet threads.

Your Welcome. :happy:

Reactions: 8 people

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done so far, you may find on the LC diet, you start to feel rough as if you have the flu and your sight may go a bit blurry, these effects are only temporary and will soon pass, if you wear glasses don't worry about changing them now because, as your sight clears you may have to change them for a different prescription, unless of course you wear them to drive at which point I would suggest a visit to the opticians get a check up then buy the cheap reading glassed as sold in Boots, as sugar is released from your eyes it changes your vision.
Sweeteners can be used but be aware some can give you the runs if you take a lot of them, more so if you are on something like Metformin.
Good luck and do let us know how you get on, for good grub ideas try the Low Carb Diet threads.

Your Welcome. :happy:

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi satindoll,

Yes I have heard about this flu type withdrawal symptom. I am prepared for this " I think lol" can you tell me the time scale approx for this? and the eye thing I got my eyes tested myself as I was having trouble with them and I got reading and driving glasses. I did not want to wait for the eye test you get from the NHS as I'm still waiting to hear anything.
On the sweeteners is that a long term thing or until you get the carbs addiction. Out your body??
Thank you very much for that info. The other stuff looks good to for the recipes I'll defo be giving that a try. Love it so far as I can eat what I want, when I want. What a great idea Haha

Reactions: 2 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
I am male 47 and type 2 diabetic. I am slightly overweight and was diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks ago. I started with fright and cut out all sugar immediately and started having 3 meals a day I was amazed when I lost 7 lbs I was 16 stone at 5'9" bit of a pot belly but skinny every where else. I was also told I had a enlarged liver and fatty to boot (i dont drink alcohol).
Sorry I then spoke with some lovely people on the type 2 site and I noticed all the stuff about the low carb diet, i have been on it now for two days, any info on what I can expect to happen to me in the process of this diet would be great. Also could someone tell me why sweeteners are not aloud as I love them in my coffee as sugar is out now I can actually see my belly shrink and at the moment I feel quite full after a very small portion. I have also cut out all veg grown underground and bread ( bread almost as soon as I was told) i have been diagnosed type 2 and the only person I have seen is for the feet. My doctor said " Well your type 2" and handed me a sheet and that was it really.
As I said I've gotten some good info on the other section and I'm sure it will be no different here. I love this site, so many people have had some experience of everybody else. great info.

Thanks

Hi Purp, welcome. You are still very early days so well done so far - it is all a bit of a shock and hard to get your head around. In time you should get to see a dietician and have your eyes checked, along with more blood tests (HbA1c tests) which will monitor your bloods over a 3 month period. After about 9 months I went on an X-PERT course (booked via your GP) which I found really helpful - don't go on it too quickly though as you need time to get your head around what is happening to you.

Just as a thought - I was really strict at first like yourself but burnt out a little after a while, so don't be too strict on yourself!

I use sweeteners regularly in my coffee (but too much can upset your tummy). If you fancy some bread have seeded batch bread it is better for you than white (definitely stay away from baguette, it is very bad - although very yummy!)

Download the cook book from this site, it has some great recipes in it!

Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Catlady,
I don't want the dreaded burn out, however I do treat myself to the odd slice of the 5 seeded batch bread already I've done that since this whole thing kicked off Being diagnosed diabetic.
I will defo keep using the sweeteners I love my coffee to much. Lol so I will try put up with the upset stomach.
The cookbook sounds just the thing and I will have a look. Is that the Diet Dr one?
I think I should be OK at sticking to it as I'm normally pretty disciplined, you are totally right though it's a total shock and knowing that it could potentially be with you for life is just the kicking I needed I think? Haha defo no baguette's for me. I've been all over this site and its so informative much better than anything I've recieved from the NHS, my doctor should have pointed me in this direction from the start.

Reactions: 5 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it's great isn't it! If you go to Home, then Food & Recipes, then Recipes and scroll down the page there should be an advert to click on so you can download the 365 page 'book' but there are also loads of recipes on that page too!

Happy cooking!

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Catlady, Thank you so much. This should help my cooking skills improve no end.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Welcome @purp looks like you've made a great start to your new way of eating. Shortly @daisy1 will be along with lots of good information for you. You'll find lots of support and encouragement here and you can ask any question and someone will answer.

Reactions: 4 people

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi 13lizanne,

I already have had the info from daisy1, its been really helpful amd a great intro to the site.
Thank you for the information though.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi satindoll,

Yes I have heard about this flu type withdrawal symptom. I am prepared for this " I think lol" can you tell me the time scale approx for this? and the eye thing I got my eyes tested myself as I was having trouble with them and I got reading and driving glasses. I did not want to wait for the eye test you get from the NHS as I'm still waiting to hear anything.
On the sweeteners is that a long term thing or until you get the carbs addiction. Out your body??
Thank you very much for that info. The other stuff looks good to for the recipes I'll defo be giving that a try. Love it so far as I can eat what I want, when I want. What a great idea Haha

Unfortunately there is no given time scale as this differs from person to person, my own carb-flu lasted about 7 days and my eyes were much better than before in a couple of weeks, the NHS eye test is normally the retinal test to look for problems in the back of the eye, mind if you are now on the diabetic register you should be eligible for a free eye test at your local/normal opticians at least once a year, the glasses should be free but you will still have to pay for your frames.

Yes there is so much good grub to eat, enjoy. :hungry: :happy:

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Satindoll,

That's good enough for me, so anywhere between 1 and 2 weeks, I think I should be able to handle that???
Yea the frames were free 2 if you bought a frame under £39.00, i think it was.
I'm prepared to make this a full time commitment as I do not want this diabetes controlling my life, I woukd much rather controll the diabetes, since I've had a look at the recipes and the wide variety there are, im pretty impressed. I was never a big sweets or chocolate lover.
If this works out and i loose the weight does the weight loss stop at your natural weight or do you start introducing carbs again?
Thanks.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Purp,

As I said before there is no definitive time scale for these symptoms , mine lasted a short time because I was already on a diet for other medical problems, you may be lucky and your symptoms, if you get them, could clear quickly then again it may be a bit longer, as we are all so different our mileage varies, but I do urge you once started to try and stick it out as the benefits are awesome.
Not knowing where your starting line is regarding weight or how much you want to lose, my advice would be slow and sure, then the weight should stay off once lost, mine has been static at the weight I'm happy with now for quite a while by upping my fat a tad, in that I now have an extra ounce of cheese a day, but then you may be able to add an extra few carbs without any problem, your meter will tell you if you can do this.
There will be times when your weight loss stalls, and you will wonder if its ever going to move, it will, just be patient.

Again good luck, do let us know how you get on

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Statindoll,
I totally understand it could be a month or a day, I will take what comes with being on the diet. I'm maybe 2/3 Stone overweight, well according to these crazy weights the NHS say you should be for your height bla bla bla I've not been that weight since I was 16 and thats a long time ago. I will get to a weight that I'm happy with, I hope. Be positive that's all u can do for the moment
If I struggle I know now where I can come to, to get that little kick up the backside I might need.
I'll keep you updated with how I'm doing and what my doc says on Monday.
Thank you statindoll

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I find sweeteners ok but some people seem to get bad side effects from them. If I couldn't have sweeteners I think I'd be too tempted to add sugar instead.

You sound like you are off to a great start, well done! My carb flu lasted about 4 days then I felt terrific. No more bloated/heavy feeling from carbs.

Did you get your blood pressure checked and was it ok?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think I read somewhere that the body reacts to sweetener the same way it does to sugar in that it releases insulin. So, potentially, sweetener could cause a hypo if your bg is already quite low. I might have this wrong but its the reason I only use sweetener at home.

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Catlady.
Yes, my blood pressure is spot on. Don't know how that happened. Lol
Remember how I said I was ready for this flu type thing, well Ooo dear I think it just might of kicked in. My head is thumping and I'm shaking like a leaf, my stomach is starting to hurt. I was tempted to get up at 5am and eat anything in the cupboards, Thank God I threw the lot away. Woooow not nice, not nice at all.

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Chook,

Im sitting just having a coffee now, I think if I could not have a coffee without the sweetex that woukd blow the whole thing for me, so having a coffee at home is probably a good idea. I'll need to look that up. At this moment I'm not feeling to good since late last night and sleep evaded me most the night. Hot and sweating then cold it was terrible, statindoll could not of warned me any more and I think this is just the start.
However I'm determined to get the weight of and try and reverse or put of this type 2 if possible. Thank you for the information. Onwards and upwards or downwards as far as my glucose is concerned.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@purp

Sorry to hear your suffering, not sure about the stomach pains, are you on Metformin? that's usually the culprit for the tum problems,
I'm sorry I forgot to say yesterday, you will need to up your tea/coffee/water intake considerably and I do mean loads to keep hydrated, this may or may not lead to more loo trips but as the flu passes so will the need, now the other thing to up a bit is your salt intake a bit of an extra sprinkle on you food will do it.
If you like Marmite or Bovril making, a hot drink from a teaspoon of them will cover your salt needs or a stock cube in hot water drink will do the same.
Looking forward to your updates. :cool:

Reactions: 3 people

purp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi statindoll,

Its like a cramp in my stomach, no I'm not on anything, im just coming to the end of my 3 month diet thing the doctor gave me the sheet for. If there was a medal for peeing I'd win gold I think, but i will increase all my fluids as you say, skywalker has a lot to learn I think, lol.
The marmite police could bash my door down and no marmite would be found ( hate it.) the stock cube however sounds fantastic, is that for the whole day it would be covered? Light headed at the moment and thumping headache, thanks for the info I'll keep you updated.