Struggling to control. Advice please!

Minichef

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, BG at 27 as I write.

New to the site, and what a great site it is. Been reading through the forums, very insightful.

I am not good at writing on things like this, please forgive me if i sound ll over the place, just trying to get it all out.
Bit about me. I am 25 and I was diagnosed 3 years ago, type 1. I currently live in Africa and work as a Chef.
I am on private medical, and get great treatment. I am on novomix 30, 75units a day.

When I was diagnosed, it really hit me hard, as a teenager, I struggled with depression, and the diagnoses bought all of that back.
At first it was easy to control my sugars, I ate healthy, did a lot of sport, had quit smoking and drinking. My mood swings started happening a few months after being diagnosed, started getting really bad highs, ending up in hospital often. One day I had an out burst at work, and quit on the spot, over something really stupid. Almost immediately started drinking a smoking again, got a new job that didn't last long, as a result of my new lifestyle, hardly ever took my insulin, and was in a very bad place. I moved back in with my mom and step dad to get myself sorted again, and back on the right track. The depression was bad, self harming, and other bad stuff. After just over a year, I moved out and managed to get my old job back, I was still struggling to control my sugars, bad eating, not taking my insulin, and drinking. I lasted 8 months and quit again, I was taking too many sick days, and fighting with my bosses a lot! I sold my car and decided it was time to come back to the UK and get my diabetes under control. I was there for two months, in and out of hospital, I found he NHS to be **** compared to the treatment I was getting before, plus the cost of insulin was high, not being a resident anymore.
After the 2 months I came home, I couldn't move back in with my parents as I was putting a strain on my moms marriage.

Wow, just read what I wrote, I sound like a, well, you guys know.

Basically, I hate my diabetes, I live in a **** hole, I can't manage my sugars, I drink too much, I'm on my third box of smokes as I write this, all I do is sleep all day, eat ****, get no exercise, put a strain on everyone who is trying to help me. I weigh f**king 50kgs.

At 22 I had my life pretty much perfect, I was fit, had a great job, I loved where I was going! All I want to do is blame diabetes! I know that is wrong, there are so many people who carry on and live normal lives, and have had it worse than I have.

I need to get my sugars under control, I just never take my insulin. hardly ever test, and when I do, its in the high 20's low 30's.

If anyone has gone through something similar, I could really use some advice.

Sorry if I sound like a brat, I am expecting some "grow up" comments, so shoot!

Thanks

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi guys, BG at 27 as I write.

New to the site, and what a great site it is. Been reading through the forums, very insightful.

I am not good at writing on things like this, please forgive me if i sound ll over the place, just trying to get it all out.
Bit about me. I am 25 and I was diagnosed 3 years ago, type 1. I currently live in Africa and work as a Chef.
I am on private medical, and get great treatment. I am on novomix 30, 75units a day.

When I was diagnosed, it really hit me hard, as a teenager, I struggled with depression, and the diagnoses bought all of that back.
At first it was easy to control my sugars, I ate healthy, did a lot of sport, had quit smoking and drinking. My mood swings started happening a few months after being diagnosed, started getting really bad highs, ending up in hospital often. One day I had an out burst at work, and quit on the spot, over something really stupid. Almost immediately started drinking a smoking again, got a new job that didn't last long, as a result of my new lifestyle, hardly ever took my insulin, and was in a very bad place. I moved back in with my mom and step dad to get myself sorted again, and back on the right track. The depression was bad, self harming, and other bad stuff. After just over a year, I moved out and managed to get my old job back, I was still struggling to control my sugars, bad eating, not taking my insulin, and drinking. I lasted 8 months and quit again, I was taking too many sick days, and fighting with my bosses a lot! I sold my car and decided it was time to come back to the UK and get my diabetes under control. I was there for two months, in and out of hospital, I found he NHS to be **** compared to the treatment I was getting before, plus the cost of insulin was high, not being a resident anymore.
After the 2 months I came home, I couldn't move back in with my parents as I was putting a strain on my moms marriage.

Wow, just read what I wrote, I sound like a, well, you guys know.

Basically, I hate my diabetes, I live in a **** hole, I can't manage my sugars, I drink too much, I'm on my third box of smokes as I write this, all I do is sleep all day, eat ****, get no exercise, put a strain on everyone who is trying to help me. I weigh f**king 50kgs.

At 22 I had my life pretty much perfect, I was fit, had a great job, I loved where I was going! All I want to do is blame diabetes! I know that is wrong, there are so many people who carry on and live normal lives, and have had it worse than I have.

I need to get my sugars under control, I just never take my insulin. hardly ever test, and when I do, its in the high 20's low 30's.

If anyone has gone through something similar, I could really use some advice.

Sorry if I sound like a brat, I am expecting some "grow up" comments, so shoot!

Thanks
Hi and welcome. You will never get any "grow up" comments from me. You're a young man with some health issues and some challenges, that's all.

You might find this thread interesting:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-burnout.74048/

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome :)

High blood sugars can make people irritable, and it's most definitely stressful having diabetes sometimes. I think once you let things slip they can slip a long way. That's what I find anyway. Because of that, I try to be pretty strict with my diabetes control.

Was it losing your job that was the start of it, do you think? Or is it an ongoing thing?

Your weight is very low :( You must feel pretty awful if your blood sugar is high so much.if you look round the forum, you'll find threads from young people very similar to you. You're not alone. And even people who are coping totally understand what a pain diabetes is.

But don't let it rule your life. If you control it, you win because you put it in its place.

Reactions: 4 people