Insulin and carbs

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nurse thinks I an type 1 1/2 and Im on insulin this last few days .She said I can eat what I want. Carbwise I am keeping mostly to complex .I make my own seed bread which has positive effect on b glucose as it hardly raises at all even 1 hour after finishing eating. So Im just wondering re. Lowish carbing ..Is it as important when someone is on insulin since the insulin will be adjusted to meet your carb intake? I am trying to keep a healthy diet which is easy enough as I love lots of the good foods anyway but insulin has given me the freedom to be able for a more varied diet and dare I say the odd treat when out and about in a cafe etc which makes for an easier life..By the way I am feeling ,each day since on insulin, a feeling of aliveness and lessening of debilitating symptoms I was suffering from :)! So the question Im asking I suppose is what are the benefits ( besides the obvious to me ie. weightloss) of lower carb intake when possibly type 1 1/2 on insulin?

Last edited by a moderator:

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I found when I first started on insulin that it made me hungry so I ate more so I injected more, so I ate more so I injected more and 1 1\2 stones later I realised it was not a case of eat what I liked when I liked at all,
Since that light bulb moment I have moderated my food intake and lost the excess weight, actually I've lost more than I put on and am now as slim as I was at 19, and my knees aren't the only things that feel the benefit.

Reactions: 4 people

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found when I first started on insulin that it made me hungry so I ate more so I injected more, so I ate more so I injected more and 1 1\2 stones later I realised it was not a case of eat what I liked when I liked at all,
Since that light bulb moment I have moderated my food intake and lost the excess weight, actually I've lost more than I put on and am now as slim as I was at 19, and my knees aren't the only things that feel the benefit.
Thanks for your reply . You obviously learned a very good lesson...Very well done on your weightloss.Good for you ! :)

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply . You obviously learned a very good lesson...Very well done on your weightloss.Good for you ! :)

Your Welcome, and thank you, I hope your journey with diabetes is less bumpy than mine. Good Luck. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Nurse thinks I an type 1 1/2 and Im on insulin this last few days .She said I can eat what I want. Carbwise I am keeping mostly to complex .I make my own seed bread which has positive effect on b glucose as it hardly raises at all even 1 hour after finishing eating. So Im just wondering re. Lowish carbing ..Is it as important when someone is on insulin since the insulin will be adjusted to meet your carb intake? I am trying to keep a healthy diet which is easy enough as I love lots of the good foods anyway but insulin has given me the freedom to be able for a more varied diet and dare I say the odd treat when out and about in a cafe etc which makes for an easier life..By the way I am feeling ,each day since on insulin, a feeling of aliveness and lessening of debilitating symptoms I was suffering from :)! So the question Im asking I suppose is what are the benefits ( besides the obvious to me ie. weightloss) of lower carb intake when possibly type 1 1/2 on insulin?
This thread has some good responses about this issue:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/benefits-of-a-t1-needing-less-insulin.82295/