Working Hours. Type 1.5

RRandell01

Hi
I was diagnosed with LADA 3 years ago and had an arrangement with my work to start work early, work through my tea-breaks and leave early to get home so I could relax once I got home. Now they are saying that they want me to start work later (which doesn't fit in with my family life), meaning having the stress of driving through the rush hour traffic and trying to find somewhere to park (this raising by blood glucose levels) and also take my tea-breaks, which makes my time at work longer. There is no where to go and rest at work, and I am struggling to cope with the hours as it is. Can they do this, as I thought they had to make reasonable adjustments to help diabetics cope?

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried to discuss this with your employer ? Is there an HR dept ? The term "reasonable adjustment" is very grey and is also a two way street. I would think it would be reasonable from an employer to provide somewhere to test etc and also a place where breaks can be taken. However, I would think you would struggle to get support when pushing for your employer to allow you to work through your breaks so you can get home early. Yes, it may be inconvenient but your employer has a duty of care. It would be prudent of them to encourage sufficient breaks to allow you to test, eat, adjust etc. Anyway, it can't hurt to ask and good luck.

Reactions: 2 people