Is this a good reduction?

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw my GP last Monday, who confirmed that I am T2 diabetic and he prescribed metformin 850mg once a day for 2 weeks, increasing to twice a day after two weeks, so I am still on 850mg a day. He also just said cut out sugar (as in table sugar, jam, chocolate etc) and made no further mention of less obvious sugars etc. I trained as a nurse many years ago so had a basic knowledge of diabetes and knew this wouldn't be enough so started reading this forum like mad, along with the books recommended by other members. I have been following the LCHF diet since last Monday and taking my metformin. This morning my meter arrived and I did the first test. My fasting blood test that alerted the doctors to my diabetes was 3.95grams (I live in France) this equates to 22mmol. My first test today was 13.8mml. Is this a good reduction or should I be trying harder with the diet and will the metformin continue to bring it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its good, nearly half , remember slowly slowly catchy monkey...........:)

Don't go mad lol , I did when first diagnosed then burnt out and went the other way:(

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
So what did you eat?

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So what did you eat?
3 Wasa crispbreads (as recommended by Dr Bernstein) - they're basically the French version of Ryvita. Topped with Philadelphia and smoked salmon and a glass of Badoit water.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thing is there are roughly 11 grams of carbs in one cracker so that's 33 grams per meal. You will have to keep testing and see how it goes.

D

Deleted member 219428

Hi I have an interested question: I live in France too (Paris) and I wonder if you had your glucose meter and strips paid by the Sécurité Sociale or did you buy it yourself?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It's certainly a good start. Metformin always helps a bit but isn't a miracle cure. It works best by reducing insulin resistance if you have excess weight. Can I ask what your BMI is? If you don't have any excess weight then the T2 diagnosis may come into question versus T1

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do Lidl have shops in France? And if so do they stock their High Protein Rolls there? If so, I'd recommend that rather than crackers. Nicer, more filling and probably won't spike your BG.

Sounds like a good solid reduction though, although hard to tell at this stage, as you haven't much to compare it with.

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two hours after dinner of a 2 egg omelette containing mushrooms, red pepper, bacon and gruyere cheese, a greek yogurt with 3 teaspoons of homemade unsweetened bluberry compote it had gone up again to 17.3. The only thing in my dinner that I felt could have done that was the blueberries. I chose them because I thought they were supposed to be so good for you but checking the nutritional value they seem to be much higher in carbs than strawberries or raspberries! Could the blueberries account for the increase again?

Just shows that there's a lot of testing ahead of me I suppose.

Yes Devonbear we do have Lidle but they often have different things to the UK Lidl's. I shall go and look tomorrow though. Are they pre-packed?

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi...just to add my tuppence worth...I avoid all the carbs I can and my levels are dropping really well now. Ryvita - causes a spike for me - too many carbs in one wee ****** cracker. I also find that peppers, while good for you and recommended by many can push my level up. A coupla wee things worth thinking about if not already considered...I find that avocados help lower my level, as does asparagus. It's also the case that a whisky lowers the level quickly but temporarily, as the liver deals with alcohol first and delays its handling of blood sugar/glucose. Just saying...

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the UK Lidl bake the rolls in store and sell them loose. They're 39 pence each here, so not too dear.

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been to our Lidl's for ages but I think they now have a bakery on site so I MAY be in luck but rural France isn't too good on Bio, low-fat, low-sugar, gluten-free etc. I'm having to order a lot of stuff that most in the UK could get from the supermarket, through Amazon. Pleinster, I love the idea of avocado and asparagus lowering the sugar - they are two of my favourite foods! And my sister-in-law had already told me that her DN said that if she wanted to drink alcohol then whisky or vodka were the best to drink and vodka is my tipple, despite living in the land of wine.

BT my BS was back down to 14 this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, some of the posts on this thread didn't appear yesterday. Daibell, I am EXTREMELY overweight. I have struggled with my weight since I was about 17 but since I was 40 I put on about 4 stone but have remained at a stable weight for the last 5 years, finding it very difficult to lose any but I do appear to have lost 2kgs this week. I know initially it's fluid but I also have a fluid retention problem, so even that is good news to me!!

Celadon, my GP has suggested no more than cutting out sugar from my diet, despite the fact that my Fasting blood sugar was 22mml or 3.95grams under the French system. I decided to do things for myself and spoke to my sister-in-law but she was advocating a low GI diet and saying that I should try and eat porridge every day which I hate! So I looked on this site and saw the LCHF option and testing your BS regularly to find out what suits you. I bought my meter off amazon.co.uk, amazon.fr doesn't appear to have any - probably because they would be free from your GP if he felt you needed one. Mind cost £12.99 and the strips are £4.99 for 50 and the lancets £7.99 for 100. I'm presuming that once I'vve worked out what I can and can't eat I won't have to test so many times a day so they will last a while. I was also surprised to discover that p&p to France was also free!!